Not bad...

Posted by: Bryan

Not bad... - 05/12/05 12:59 AM

$7 a month? Sign me up!<br><br>"Yahoo has announced that they will also be entering the online music download market with a new subscription-based service.<br><br>Yahoo's new service will offer unlimited access to a library of 1 million songs for $6.99 a month. The new service is akin to Napster's current "To Go" service which also offers unlimited access to songs for a monthly fee. Napster's service, however, costs $14.95/month."<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Not bad... - 05/12/05 01:07 AM

Let me see if I understand these subscription services. You essentially rent the music? If you don't pay the rent you can't play the music any longer? How can that work? Can't it be copied?<br><br>I don't have a stake in this stuff (I think I've spent all of $5 at the iTunes store)but I'm curious.<br><br>

Re: Not bad... - 05/12/05 01:16 AM

Exactly. You can listen to all the music you want, as long as you pay the monthly tax. Looks like Yahoo is charging .79 cents to permanently buy individual tracks. <br><br>It is renting the music, but at that price, I'd pay it if Apple offered a subscription. I usually buy new songs, wear them out over a period of time, then don't listen to them ever again. <br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Not bad... - 05/12/05 01:24 AM

At it's going to support Macs? I'm skeptical.<br><br>

Re: Not bad... - 05/12/05 01:27 AM

It's Windows-only...uses Microsoft's WMA and their DRM that allows off-loading the songs onto specific devices. Most likely, it will never work with the Mac. <br><br>But the pricing is going to destroy Napster and Real..how can they compete with $6.99?<br><br>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: Not bad... - 05/12/05 02:58 PM

Dammit. It'd go great with my Audio Hijack Pro app. :o)<br><br>-------<br>Aren't you a little old for post-modern nostalgic irony?
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: Not bad... - 05/12/05 03:35 PM

If you can't keep the music, why not sign up with Sirius Radio? More music, wide selection, and no commericals.<br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Not bad... - 05/12/05 08:50 PM

Well its kinda like iTunes or the part of iTunes that lets you create playlist yada yada. The songs in your folder are not the song but rather a link to the real song on the server - hence they yank the link if you don't pay<br><br>Like Bryan mentioned<br>""off-loading the songs onto specific devices""<br>So no burning to CDs and certainly no off-loading to MP3 players<br><br>What these special devices are I dunno.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Not bad... - 05/13/05 03:44 AM

I would rather purchase mine than rent.<br><br>

Re: Not bad... - 05/13/05 04:05 AM

I'd like the choice. Buy some tunes I want to keep forever and pay a subscription to listen to everything else. <br><br>Hell, I pay $18 a month to rent movies I don't get to keep, I'd gladly shell out $7-$15 a month to listen to everything in iTunes without keeping it. <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Not bad... - 05/13/05 04:18 AM

I rent my beer! <br><br>

Re: Not bad... - 05/13/05 04:20 AM

I rent your...nah...that's too harsh. Nevermind <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Not bad... - 05/13/05 04:22 AM

You couldn't afford her anyway.<br><br>

Re: Not bad... - 05/13/05 04:25 AM

She's for sale? Damn, man...I was talking about your computer!<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Not bad... - 05/13/05 04:35 AM

So was I! <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Not bad... - 05/13/05 08:56 PM

[color:blue]I'd like the choice. Buy some tunes I want to keep forever and pay a subscription to listen to everything else.</font color=blue><br><br>You sorta hit the nail on the head.<br>Apple could offer both services and reap the benefits - However there must be a draw back ? something that could come back and bite ya in the butt thingy. I am sure Apples boardrooms discussed this dual option at conception ?<br><br>Then again since Apple was the first to blaze that trail - subscription plus purchase could have been over looked ?<br><br>