Need a Tiger freeze confirmation...

Posted by: SparkCollector

Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 01:05 AM

...before submitting to MacFixit.<br><br>First, make sure you've saved any open work. Close all running applications.<br><br>Open up your Keyboard Preference panel.<br><br>Click on the "Modifier keys..." button.<br><br>Change "CapsLock" key to "Nothing."<br><br>When I do this, my entire system freezes, forcing a Power Button shut down.<br><br>I'd like to know if this happens to others, and then send a report to MacFixit it it does.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 01:36 AM

Works without a problem here. I'm using the stock Apple keyboard and an erase and install of Tiger. <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 01:56 AM

Works fine here<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 06:38 AM

OK. I'll confirm your Tiger freezes.<br><br>... after reading your request EVERYWHERE! <br><br>- alec
Posted by: nutty

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 07:19 AM

why send a report to MacFixit? send one to apple along with a system profile of your computer and so on.<br><br>sending bugs to someone other than the maker of the software is just wrong.<br><br>BTW, this works find for me.<br><br>What language are you using?<br><br>what Keyboard are you using?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 09:08 AM

Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to test this and supply feedback. ([color:RED]And to Alec: Are you saying it happens to your system as well? If so, you're the only other person to confirm it so far.</FONT>).<br><br>The first time it happened to me last night, I had a bunch of applications open, and I had installed several apps and hadn't yet repaired permissions. So, I did my usual maintenance routines, did a full shut down and restart, then tried again with no applications open.<br><br>I was able to make it happen 3 more times.<br><br>I'll need to dig a little more today, and try disconnecting all peripherals and try again using only Apple's keyboard and mouse instead of my MacAlly K.B. and Logitech Cordless optical mouse.<br><br>Thanks again for your attention to this.<br><br>And to Nutty: My reason for posting to MacFixit? Because the site receives a LOT of traffic. And of course I'll send any info I gather about the problem to Apple...that goes without saying.<br><br>

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 09:11 AM

Sorry - just being a smart@ss. <br>Hope you get it resolved.<br><br>- alec
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 09:21 AM

I assume you've logged in as Root to test it there, or create another user account - any way to test on a clean account to see if it is in fact a problem with the OS, or simply a conflict with something else you have installed.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 10:22 AM

I spent a long day yesterday trying to find a solution for my busted scroll wheel problem, and I discovered the freeze at about 3:00 am. Haven't tried logging in under my bare-bones troubleshooting account yet.<br><br>

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 10:24 AM

Alec...<br><br>Of course I know you were just ball-bustin’. No worries about that...but I ask again:<br><br>Are you saying you were able to produce the freeze as well?<br><br>

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 10:57 AM

No... doesn't freeze.<br><br>- alec

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 11:27 AM

3 f#cking AM??? I haven't seen that hour of the morning since I got married!!! Good gawd man!<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 11:35 AM

Well, Jim...I'm not married. And it's so nice and quiet at night that I get a lot of work done. I often don't crawl in bed until 0500.<br><br>

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 12:10 PM

I remember those days... I couldn't get any serious creative work done until after 2a.m. <br><br>But then I got married, and about midnight the hourly "when are you coming to bed honey?" questions made their first appearance. The longer you're married, the shorter the time frame between the "are you coming to bed soon?" question. It's all quite draining to say the least. <br><br>Now I have about an hour and a half of good quality design time at night, and the rest of the time I'm operating as a production hack on sh!t jobs I just assume not even be working on.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 02:14 PM

Freezing Tiger? Is that the sequel to Crouching Tiger? <br><br>

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 02:28 PM

Hey Jim...<br><br>You told me about the StuffitExpress feature of the newest StuffitDeluxe. I was intrigued, and could see it being very useful for what I do.<br><br>Tiger breaks the Stuffit Engine. Allume knows about it, and they just suggest a reinstall. My disk is WAY buried in the basement in a box next to my dead PowerCenterPro 210.<br><br>I thought...eh, what the hell, I'll just ferret out all the Stuffit stuff (serveral versions of different vintage) presently on my hard drive with Spotlight, trash all of them, and start fresh by getting the latest version of the freebie Expander. Should be all I really need, since I mostly use OS X's built in ZIP archiveing compression. I just need the Expander for downloads that the Mac won't deal with natively.<br><br>Well, I thought while I'm on the Allume site, I'd grab a demo version of the full StuffitDeluxe, just to try the "Express" feature you told me about.<br><br>The demo download is handled by DigitalRiver. Not only do they ask for all your standard info, THEY REQUIRE A CREDIT CARD # JUST TO GRAB THE FREAKIN' DEMO!!!<br><br>They tell you that if you don't cancel the demo when the trial period expires, they will bill your credit card and send you the unlock code. How EFFING crazy is that!?<br><br>EFF ALLUME. I don't need their software that bad. I'll figure out how to use Automator to do the same thing as the Express feature in StuffitDeluxe.<br><br>EFF 'EM!<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 06:37 PM

With Tiger able to handle zip files, disk images and tarballs, Stuffit is fast become a relic of the bygone dial-up era when file size mattered. <br><br>

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 08:28 PM

I was unaware of any problem with using Stuffit Deluxe in Tiger. I have it installed and it appears to be working perfectly. I know StuffIt Express is working, because I use it several times a day.<br><br>But your Automator idea has me intrigued, please keep me informed on any progress you make, and I'll do the same (I'm thinking I may try doing something with it as well).<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/11/05 09:45 PM

Jim...<br><br>I didn't mean to suggest that Stuffit is an iffy propostion under Tiger; what many people have experienced is that when doing an Archive and Install the Stuffit Engine loses some sort of connection with the other components of the application, and needs to be reinstalled fresh after the OS update.<br><br>As for the Automator thing...first I need to do some larnin', whut with duh PDF's and duh interweb sites and whut not.<br><br>Let's try parallel development on this front, eh?<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/12/05 01:37 AM

It still matters in prepress when dealing with HUGE folders full of high-res files that you would rather fit on one CD instead of two or three.<br><br>Many customers still use it. It's very popular.<br><br>

Re: Need a Tiger freeze confirmation... - 05/12/05 09:12 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>what many people have experienced is that when doing an Archive and Install the Stuffit Engine loses some sort of connection with the other components of the application<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, the archive method doesn't bring over the StuffIt Engine – I found this out while reading about the updates to Path Finder.<br><br>I've been playing around with Automator, and out-of-the-box, there is nothing that will allow you to FTP. There are no Automator actions to do so that I can find. I'm guessing that an Applescript needs to be written to do the upload, then the Applescript can be used in the Automator workflow to apply to a folder. I'm not certain of any of this, but it's just what I've come up with after using Automator for a brief amount of time.<br><br>There is however a "Copy to server" Automator action, and I'm guessing that it could be modified to use an FTP address rather than a local server address.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.