Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel?

Posted by: SparkCollector

Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel? - 05/10/05 12:37 PM

Did an Archive & Install of OS10.4 to a SuperDuper clone of my HD, onto an external FW drive. Copied the whole thing from the FW drive back onto my internal drive (to which I had written zeros and repartitioned). Most everything seems to be operating just fine.<br><br>I had to reinstall the driver for my MacAlly iMediakey keyboard, but I already knew I was going to have to do that from chatting with a friend who has the same keyboard.<br><br>What's killing me is that the driver (Got the latest one and installed fresh) for my Logitech "2-button + scroll wheel/scroll click" cordless mouse no longer allows me to adjust the scrolling speed. I can get the acceleration preference to work, however. I find it most painful when scrolling through long Forum threads (like at Slashdot) and long text documents when I'm doing manual proofreading.<br><br>Anybody else seeing this problem? Found a fix?<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel? - 05/10/05 12:46 PM

Try reinstalling the Logitech Control Center...or installing it if you've not already done so.<br><br><br>[color:green]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=green>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 12:53 PM

I'm not sure what "driver" you have installed, but as Pete said, installing the Logitech Control Center prefs pane should give you the options, and they do work because I use them with my wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse (both of which have a scroll wheel).<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 12:55 PM

Already reinstalled the latest LCC—TWICE—since upgrading to Tiger.<br><br>I've played with all of the prefs. Ain't working.<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 12:56 PM

Look for version 1.4.1- I've read that version 1.5 causes a lot of problems for people...<br><br>Last time I checked, it's only on VT or MU- Logitech took any and all mention of Mac support off their site...<br><br>[color:green]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=green>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 01:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Pete.<br><br>I just did a pretty serious search of the Logitech site and couldn't find the 1.4.1 version of LCC. I have my original CD with version 1.1 of the LCC, so I'm going to give that a try.<br><br>If that doesn't work...<br><br>Got an installer for 1.4.1 I could use?<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 01:13 PM

Here 'tis<br><br>Lot of awful reviews, but I'm not one of them- never had a problem with the software through 3 Logitech mice...<br><br><br>[color:green]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=green>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 01:15 PM

Ahh, Thanks mate.<br><br>Never even thought to check VersionTracker.<br><br>Wish me luck?<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 01:28 PM

Still not seeing the breadth of preference control I did before my upgrade.<br><br>These are the little things that must drive people insane, especially those who aren't real savvy.<br><br>I pity the occasional home user (Windows or  Mac) who run into troubles.<br><br>Might be time to see if installing USB Overdrive makes any difference.<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 01:52 PM

Still, no joy.<br>GrrrrrrSiiiiiggggghhhhh........<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 02:50 PM

Logitech's software is historically terrible, plus they're ditching Mac support. So, I would either use the limited built-in driver, or give Alesandro Montserraticelloskyhook a shout and see how USB Overdrive works. <br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 02:55 PM

USB Overdrive isn't helping.<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 03:11 PM

Hmm..<br><br>Perhaps a Logitech mouse funeral is in order?<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 03:22 PM

Croikey! The bugger's less than a year old!<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 03:24 PM

Do you get passable functionality with just the stock Apple driver?<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 04:08 PM

Everything I tried has been "passable."<br><br>The problem is I rely on quick scrolling, which is what I used to have before the 10.4 upgrade.<br><br>I suppose we can cheer Apple for finally giving a choice of primary mouse button(left or right) for lefthanders, but to still refuse to acknowlege that people might choose to use a mouse with even more buttons and—"GASP!—a scroll wheel is pretty damned stupid.<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 04:28 PM

You definitely could downgrade and wait awhile. Aside from some technical improvements and faster surfing, you ain't missing much. <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/10/05 04:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. But if it's any consolation, I've noticed the slower scrolling in Tiger in *some* apps, but not others. Perhaps the next OS update will fix it.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: Morom

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/12/05 07:56 AM

The front page has an link for a download for the LCC 1.5 which is compatible with Tiger. That might help ya out if it has that supported function.<br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/12/05 08:32 AM

Way, WAY ahead of you, Morom.<br><br>It's busted.<br><br>

Re: Tiger killed my Logitech cordless scroll wheel - 05/12/05 11:51 AM

Just discovered a way to get some of the speedy scrolling function back in Firefox.<br><br>If your cursor is within the bounds of the scroll tab at the side of your browser window, speed is increased considerably. The downside is that it's a dang small target to have to hit just for that speed increase. I'll do it for really long pages in Firefox, though.<br><br>