Like a fish needs a bicycle

Posted by: Bryan

Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 09:22 AM

Why do people even bother with this? In my 7 years of being a Mac user, I've never encountered or been infected by a virus. I've also never sent a virus through my Mac to a PC user. Why pay these morons $70?<br><br><br>[i]Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for Macintosh announced<br>May 10 - 08:16 EDT Symantec today announced Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for Macintosh, the latest version of it virus protection software. Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for Macintosh is scheduled to be widely available this month, and includes a new Global Threat Assessment dashboard to provide users with an overview of current virus threats. The product also includes a new Contextual Menu support feature and custom SafeZones for improved ease-of-use and efficiency. Version 10.0 is also fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for Macintosh is available now for preorder at for an estimated retail price of US$69.95.<br><br>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 09:36 AM

You, sir, obviously don't remember the days of the infected TIF files that used to go around in desktop publishing departments...<br><br>What was that name again? Any old timers? anyone? anyone?...<br><br>-------<br>Aren't you a little old for post-modern nostalgic irony?
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 09:37 AM

Hot on the tails of an article I read yesterday (might have been on news.bbc.co.uk) about how virus writers are turning their sights on the Mac, and getting more series in their attempts to annoy that community now.<br><br>Truth is a 3 edged sword.
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 09:43 AM

Those were the AutoStart worms, types A through F, I believe.<br><br>Thing was, though, I remember being online and reading about the first report of AutoStart in the wild. A couple hours later, somebody posted a temporary fix (turn of "AutoStart" for CD's in the CD Control Panel).<br><br>Later that day there were a few little applets being distributed worldwide that automatically scanned for the worm and removed it.<br><br>When Sam and I worked at the same place we got quite a few disks in with those worms. We just fixed the disk and sent em back.<br><br>Thing is, though the AutoStart worms were widespread, the fix came VERY quickly, from independent Mac users. We didn't have to wait for a patch from Apple or a virus definition to be released for Virex or whatever.<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 09:46 AM

It would appear some do.<br><br>- alec
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 10:16 AM

I had the 666 extension virus under OS 8 before.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 10:19 AM

I stand corrected <br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 10:22 AM

SevenDust 666 - 1994?<br><br>- alec
Posted by: Topper

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 11:28 AM

I actually had an AutoStart worm on a MacAddict disc.<br>MacAddict knew about the virus but sent the disc out with some kind of disclaimer. <br>There was an easy way to make sure your computer wasn't effected but I forget how.<br>Oops, I found it <br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 11:48 AM

The worst problem I recall was the Quark Pasteboard XT bug.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 08:00 PM

Not 100% sure but I think on the home PC side they have to re-new every year to get their daily virus updates - in short you buy the software for say 70 bucks and next year you purchase a re-new license so you can continue to get the daily virus updates ? <br><br>Any PC users out there that can shed some lite on this ??<br><br>

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 08:05 PM

[color:blue]Hot on the tails of an article I read yesterday (might have been on news.bbc.co.uk) about how virus writers are turning their sights on the Mac, and getting more series in their attempts to annoy that community now.</font color=blue><br><br>Thats a bummer but yes the writing is on the wall as the Mac community grows and starts to attract unwanted attention.<br><br>Lets just hope that writing those virii for the Mac proves to be more difficult and the basturds just give up<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 08:13 PM

My only hope is...is 3% worth infecting when you can infect 97% with a PC type virus.<br><br>

Re: Like a fish needs a bicycle - 05/10/05 08:31 PM

Thats the way its always been so far "market share" - but since Apple is making world wide news with the iTunes and iPods, Apple is bound to attract some unwanted attention.<br><br>I hope that writing a virus for the Mac proves to be more time consuming and thus they will give up. Then go back for the easy target PCs.<br><br>Don't mark my words but if we are talking about market share.<br>My guess is that iTunes Store would be the first target with its 70% market share<br>The 2nd target would be the iPods.<br><br>Anyway most virii comes from Asia and Euro so hopefully they are to busy stealing copyrights <br><br>