Logo > font ID help needed

Posted by: lesh

Logo > font ID help needed - 05/09/05 09:43 AM

Hey fellow digital alchemists - I have to recreate an old Plymouth logo in all it's 3D metallic goodness for a project at work. Naturally there's no art to work from, only scans from old ad slicks of the cars themselves:<br><br><br><br>Does anyone know of either a website of vintage car logos or a font that's somewhat close to this? I really need only an outline at the very least, I can do the effects myself, as it has to be prepped for screenprinting anyway.<br><br>TIA<br>Leslie<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/09/05 10:00 AM

This probably doesn't help at all, but I found a site with the font for the old Plymouth logo- It's called King Richard. But again, this was for the logo, and not necessarily the font on the car.<br><br>I like 'digital alchemist' a lot- I'm going to use that on my invoices...<br><br>[color:green]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=green>
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/09/05 11:37 AM

Ordinarily, I would recommend uploading one of those jpegs to whatthefont.com -- but I'm not sure those have the resolution to work well ...<br><br>I also tried googling a better version of the logo, but my search-fu seems to be lacking right now =P<br><br>[edit]<br><br>Well, I did a whatthefont search on a lark, and it actually came up with a couple close (but not exact) matches:<br><br>gf Patetica is close, but the "O" isn't quite right ...<br><br>And meh, I was going to suggest Denim until I saw how distressed the design is ...<br><br>Patetica is probably your best bet from this search =P<br><br>[/edit]<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by six_of_one on 05/09/05 02:50 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/09/05 11:53 AM

No help from google, but here's a coupla thoughts:<br><br>You could contact a local dealership, or even an auto body repair shop to see if they have examples, or can point you in the right direction. You'd probably have to give them some idea of model year range.<br><br>The other option is just use a font like New Times Roman Bold...<br><br>Which is close enough given that once you start rendering it (chrome, 3D, etc.) and then screening it on fabric, it'll be pretty convincing. Fact is, those nameplates are rarely built on a real font anyway. They're usually created from scratch.<br><br>Good luck.<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/09/05 12:32 PM

I think six_of_one is right.<br>I worked with your font for quite a while and the best I could come up with is Gf Patetica Black<br>Six_of_one is fast..it took me one half hour to manipulate your font enough to get Whatthefont.com to take it.<br>Here is what it would look like:<br><br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/09/05 10:47 PM

Prolly late and you've got lots of good help already but here is a great retro site for ads.<br>ephemeranow.com<br><br>

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 04:38 AM

With the licensor being Dahmler-Chrysler, *yah'd think* just maybe they would provide us with some decent art to start with...but noooooo. <br><br>Someone in the studio does have relatives who own a Chryler dealership, so we did try that route - looking through their stored materials from years past.<br><br>I resorted to the tried and true tweak and clean method for a smaller version (1 inch, no effects) I needed right away, but Topper's type looks very nice, I'll use that as a base for the one that has to be larger, like 14" wide. And of course, I was given what amounts to almost a negative amount of time to do it in today. *sigh*<br><br>Thank you everyone for your input and your efforts! Some gook links to bookmark turned up in your and my searches, especially that ephemera site, Shelli, I love that kind of stuff!<br><br>I'm off to push pixels now...<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 08:11 AM

Lesh,<br><br>You do realize that the graphics you posted are NOT the Plymouth logo of any decade, don't you? The text on the car was simply a font they chose that was easily readable, and it changed several times throughout the years.<br><br>The actual Plymouth logos included a sailboat and a rocketship at one point.<br><br>You can see a few of their logos on these old photos of lapel pins.<br><br>The oldest version of the logo that *most* people remember is the Italic-Serif style font. I've taken the liberty of "chroming" it for you below. If you want a high resolution version, let me know. (the chrome looks better in the high res version, btw.)<br><br><br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 08:15 AM

Gee, now where did I see that information posted before..?<br><br><br><br><br>[color:green]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=green>
Posted by: DavidDraiman

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 08:31 AM

Wow, cool.<br><br>Did you "hand chrome" (by airbrush) those or do you have like, one-click-filters or something?<br><br>When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?
Posted by:

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 08:37 AM

That's a one-clicker. They stick out like sore thumbs.<br><br>

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 09:17 AM

They are all Photoshop "Styles" that can be downloaded from various places on the Web. While they are "one-click" styles, they are actually a collection of layer effects applied to the layer in Photoshop. You can customize, tweak and adjust all you want.<br><br>While you *could* create a chrome effect by hand in PS, I have NEVER seen any better than some of the styles and actions that are one-click effects. Of course some actions and styles are better than others, there are a few that are simply unbeatable, IMO. One of the things that I generally do is put a "reflection" in the chrome by overlaying a picture, on top of the chrome - it makes for a more realistic effect.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 09:37 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>"While you *could* create a chrome effect by hand in PS, I have NEVER seen any better than some of the styles and actions that are one-click effects."<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Hey, <I><B>somebody</I></B>  has to create and tweak those styles in the first place!<br><br>There are some really good ones, BUT! I have yet to see any "one-click solutions" that can match the beauty of a well-crafted chrome reflection that uses a bit of displacement mapping and manual specular highlight placement.<br><br>

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 10:22 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Hey, somebody has to create and tweak those styles in the first place!<p><hr></blockquote><p>I guess that's my point. The one click solutions are in fact the same thing as doing it by hand, just recorded in an Action or Style. As you say, it didn't just magically appear, somebody actually created it.<br><br>And of course, a little personal touch always adds to it, but I think that "out-of-the-box," these actions and styles are pretty damn good.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by:

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 10:45 AM

Manual techniques are the way to go. One-clicks are for candy asses. <br><br>

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 10:53 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>One-clicks are for candy asses.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Says the guy who one-clicked an icon for use as an avatar! <br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 12:58 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>"Says the guy who one-clicked an icon for use as an avatar!"<p><hr></blockquote><p>Says the guy who one-clicked an animated emoticon to use for <B><I>his</B></I>  avatar.<br><br>Mr. Pot, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Kettle...<br><br><br><br>

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 01:03 PM

Sorry Sparky... I did edit the icon (removed some frames) and resized it! <br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 01:08 PM

HehOL@Da Gizman!<br><br>

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 04:26 PM

Only 7 years of design school, and you too can be an avatar master! <br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 06:10 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You do realize that the graphics you posted are NOT the Plymouth logo of any decade, don't you? The text on the car was simply a font they chose that was easily readable, and it changed several times throughout the years.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yes, Maestro, I grok this. It is still acceptable to use the term 'logo' in a generic sense, is it not? That being said, in this case, I am just producing some final artwork for patterns that have already been concepted by someone else and approved by the customer. If it were up to me, I'd have used a more officiallly 'Plymouth' type of logo such as the one you set up in your reply, as I think it's more recognizable. Thanks anyway, for taking the time to do those.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 06:17 PM

Uh-oh... Surplus logos for sale at Gizmo's Desert Chrome Hause! Everything must go. He's selling out to the bare walls! No credit? No problem! No money down. No interest 'til 2007. And no delivery 'til 2008! Call now, Operators are getting sleepy!<br><br>

Re: Logo > font ID help needed - 05/10/05 06:21 PM

Do I get a set of Ginsu knives if I order now? My old X-actos are all dull from disuse...<br><br>