I think I'm going to be very mad

Posted by: skuldugary

I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 11:36 AM

I just opened iTunes and everything was gone! There was some of my daughters music, but my stuff... zippo.<br><br>I opened Finder and looked at the drive, whew, my music was still there, but I can't get iTunes to show it.<br><br>I tried a number of different things with no luck. I think what happened was she used her iPod and changed ownership of the iTunes library, but I'm only guessing. When I plugged my iPod in, I got a message saying that my iPod is linked to a differernt library. I disconnected my iPod and have been tring to get my library with the playlists and ratings back up, but I've hit a dead end.<br><br>Any iTunes gurus here who can help me?<br><br>P.S. my daughter is dead meat.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 11:41 AM

if the files are still on disk you are in good shape.<br><br>just reimport your music back into itunes.<br><br>sounds like the index is just gone.<br><br><br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 11:45 AM

Index gone? Does that mean I've lost my smart playlists and rating? On all 2000+ tracks?<br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 11:48 AM

Is the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file still in your account/music/iTunes? I'm not sure exactly how to di it right now, but I think that if you drag that onto iTunes it shoul rebuild your library. I'vehad the exact same thing happen before.<br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 11:57 AM

I found the file and dragged it to the iTunes library. The library that came up in iTunes was still my daughters stuff. No sign of my playlists or ratings.<br><br>
Posted by: Morom

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 02:11 PM

Any recent backups that you could pull that XML file off from? Other then that, i think when your daughter changed the library, you are SOL...<br><br>I could be wrong however...<br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.
Posted by: Bryan

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 02:22 PM

yeah...<br><br>Unless you backed up your xml file, it's pooched. <br><br>Look on the bright side..at least you didn't lose your music. <br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 02:28 PM

Two THOUSANDS (plus) tracks, arranged, smart listed, and rated, and she blew it off? That's hours and hours of work. Gone.<br><br>Is it possible I can download the lost data from my iPod?<br><br>she is grounded for life.<br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 02:33 PM

Oh wait a second...I misunderstood...<br><br>YOUR iPod still has all of that on it? Hmm...<br><br>You might be able to use Tinkertool to show hidden files, mount your iPod as a hard drive, then drag the iPod Control folder off and get your stuff out of it. <br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 02:48 PM

This sounds promising. I haven't heard of Tinkertool. I'll check it out.<br>Thanks for the lead.<br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 02:49 PM

There are also utilities that will export crap off your iPod onto your Mac without needing tinkertool. <br><br>If your songs and playlists are on your ipod, you should be able to get it off. <br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 03:07 PM

How do I tell iTunes to let my iPod write TO the Mac?<br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 03:09 PM

iTunes can't do it. You'll have to drag the files off manually or use shareware. <br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 05:15 PM

Okay, got it. Ummm, the iPod doesn't show up on Finder. <br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 05:19 PM

You have to go into the iPod preferences in iTunes and enable Firewire disk mode for the iPod. <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 05:28 PM

Dang it Bryan your becoming useful around here - <br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 05:30 PM

Oh I'm much more useful than that....just ask the ladies <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 06:41 PM

I don't need to ask the babes - LOL complaints <br><br>Hey this could be a great caption contest thread - <br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 07:05 PM

Do a "get info" on the iTunes Library folder and see what the permissions are. Make sure you have read/write and don't forget to hit the "apply to enclosed items" button at the bottom.<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 07:23 PM

Thanks for helping me so much. Sadly, I don't see an Enable Disk Use option.<br><br>I've spent the entire day trying programs from Macupdate and Version tracker. They either aren't what I need, or find some error or another to hang on. <br><br>I'm grounding my daughter for a solid week for using my computer when she knows she's not allowed to touch it. And I'm thinking of grounding her a second week for lying to me about plugging her iPod in to it. <br><br><br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 07:25 PM

In itunes, disable auto updating of the ipod, then plug it in, and go into the preferences and enable disk use. It's the easiest thing in the world. <br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 07:28 PM

Something else, for future reference. <br><br>Change your password, then set her up a user account without admin privileges. Then this will never happen again. <br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 07:32 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Something else, for future reference. <br><br>Change your password, then set her up a user account without admin privileges. Then this will never happen again.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Bingo! Solid advice. <br><br>****************<br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 07:43 PM

It's enabled. In Finder I can see the iPod and within iPod I can see Contacts, Calander, and Notes. <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 07:46 PM

2 weeks grounding? How old is she?<br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 07:48 PM

Good!<br><br>Now grab tinkertool and show invisible files, then copy the iPod Control folder. <br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/07/05 08:43 PM

Nineteen. <br><br>Considering how pissed I am, she's getting of real easy. <br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/08/05 05:10 AM

Nineteen?<br><br>Send her my way...I'll teach her a thing or two <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/10/05 08:58 PM

Did you ever get this to work out?? Cos I have the answer. I just did a bonehead thing tonight and lost my ratings on my Mac, but still had the ratings on the iPod. I used PodWorks to "Send All Songs To iTunes" and it re-established my ratings, playcounts, playlists, etc... Phew, that was close!!<br><br>PodWorks<br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/11/05 06:37 AM

I had partial luck, but I'm not happy with the outcome. <br><br>Thanks for the link. I might clear out iTunes and do it all over with this app. This should be a big help.<br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/11/05 08:29 AM

I looked at the web site and read up on it. It talks about playlists, but I'm wondering if they mean 'smart' playlists.<br><br>When you used this, did it transfer your smart playlists back in to your iTunes?<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/11/05 08:36 AM

No, because your Smart Playlists are transferred as normal playlists to the iPod, so they'll come back that way. The iPod doesn't have the brains to sort that stuff. At least I could save my ratings... that was all I cared about.<br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/11/05 08:46 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Sam. I'm hanging on to this app. I am a happy camper when I know I have something to save the day when things go bad. Plus I'm wiser now, and I'm making a back up of my library file too.<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/11/05 10:16 AM

For what its worth here's another great iPod app that is not only free but is almost identical to PodWorks. <br><br>Senuti<br><br>I have PodWorks too and love it. But it has had problems with the new iPod Shuffle. I helped a friend with a similar problem on her Shuffle and Podworks didn't do it. I searched around and stumbled upon Senuti. Not as feature rich as Podworks but it works great and uses the DB file stored on the iPod just like PW which makes things alot faster than most iPod haxie apps. <br><br><br><br>

Re: I think I'm going to be very mad - 05/11/05 12:02 PM

Cool! Another good app added to my bank of utilities. <br><br>Thanks!<br><br>