So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X?

Posted by: Michael

So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 07:41 AM

Is there anything in 10.4 that actually looks better than it did in 10.3? They even seem to take a step backwards in the look of the Apple menu icon.<br><br>10.3<br><br><br>10.4<br><br><br>
Posted by:

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 07:53 AM

It's kind of weird how the Apple when from shiny to flat and the menubar went from flat to shiny. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 07:56 AM

Can't have BOTH times be shiny or flat- have to have one of each.<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by:

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 07:57 AM

Says who? You? Who are you? Nobody, that's who!<br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:09 AM

Just shaddap and deal with your flat apple.<br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by:

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:12 AM

I was born that way!!<br><br>Wait, what are we talking about? <br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:17 AM

Here's something ya didn't know: "FittsŐs Law and the Apple and Spotlight Menus", read about it 3/4 down this page.<br><br>"After 20 years, Apple is finally taking maximum advantage of FittsŐs Law with regard to the Apple menu. How? By allowing the target area for the Apple menu to extend all the way to the top-left corner of the main display...."<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:18 AM

I actually prefer the new Apple Menu icon. All the shiny eye-candy is just plain gaudy. Actually, I would probably be happy with Aqua if Apple would just get rid of the stupid Metal and use the standard gray plastic-looking GUI everywhere.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:28 AM

Seems to me it's harder to miss the icon and hit that edge then vice versa. And I agree with him about that stupid sound effect when emptying trash. At least I always turn off user interface sound effects anyway. They should make this Fitt's Law addition part of the Universal Access options. I don't need it and don't like the side effect.<br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:35 AM

Great. Here's a new avatar for you. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:39 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Seems to me it's harder to miss the icon and hit that edge then vice versa ... They should make this Fitt's Law addition part of the Universal Access options. I don't need it and don't like the side effect.<p><hr></blockquote><p>What? Fitt's law basically says that it's easier to hit the corners of the screen. You know, all you need to do is move the mouse in that general direction. What side effect are you talking about? Why would you want to turn it off? You can still click the apple menu like normal.<br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:41 AM

What side effect are you talking about?<br><br>Uhm what was the title of this thread?<br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:47 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Uhm what was the title of this thread?<p><hr></blockquote><p>But the look of the apple menu has nothing to do with Fitts Law.<br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:52 AM

OK, so I thought that was what garyW was saying. I have to admit I haven't been to excited about Tiger and have read very little about it. I installed it on my external HD over the weekend and see no reason for moving to it. It's over all look and incompatibility with things like VPC (I know that's M$'s fault) makes it seem more like 10.04 than 10.4. Just my impression.<br><br>
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 08:56 AM

Quite frankly, I'm kind of surprised so many people even NOTICE whether an application uses brushed metal, or the plastic look, or whether the Apple Menu icon is flay or shiny/highlighted.<br><br>The only app that really sticks out for me is GarageBand, because they use something that's supposed to bring to mind an old wooden analog mixing board enclosure.<br><br>The red/yellow/green buttons at top left of windows? They aren't gaudy to the point of distraction for me, and I'm pretty anal retentive about details.<br><br>Anybody who grouses about the OS having distracting UI, but then goes on to use some crazy-busy-brightly colored desktop image is clearly putting their eggs in the wrong basket.<br><br><br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 09:08 AM

I'm too busy looking at what's in the *actual* windows themselves - are people that easily distracted by what particular shade of grey their GUI tabs are?<br><br>Yeesh. And don't get me started on wallpapers- if you're able to see it, you're not working hard enough...<br><br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 01:16 PM

I agree. I so rarely notice the metal and colors of whatever on the OS and I don't use mine for work!<br><br>I guess I would notice things like if the Finder wasn't remembering to stay in column view or whatever....but the actual background, eh...who cares.<br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 01:30 PM

When I hear complaints about brushed metal vs. old-style gray, I need only consider how much I WOULD notice the appearance if I had to stare at the entire bad concept of the butt-fugly Windows UI all day.<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 01:50 PM

My name is garyW and I....... I like brushed metal. I have liked brushed metal for years. I even liked MacGizmo's whole desktop pic and hacked GUI themed in brushed metal. <br><br>(Member of Brushed Metal Anonymous since 10.0. Retired member of Hockey-Puck Mouse Anonymous and Quark 4 Users Anonymous)<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/03/05 10:23 PM

I could live with Brushed Metal, again, if it were the only texture used. I just hate the 2 varients of the GUI.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: iraszl

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 01:06 AM

The new one is nicer. Aqua is so not cool anymore. :D<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 02:29 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Retired member of Hockey-Puck Mouse Anonymous<p><hr></blockquote><p>I knew somebody had to have liked that damn thing! Without question, the dumbest peripheral Apple has ever manufactured. That thing should be immortalized permanently in the Computing Halls of Suckdom. <br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 06:56 AM

2 variants? you must never use the pro apps, there are actually 3 to 4 variants of widgets used for drawing.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 07:11 AM

you must never use the pro apps<br><br>Ohhhhhh now you've gone and done it...<br><br><br>[color:green]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=green>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 07:26 AM

I mean the 2 varients of the standard Aqua (Desktop) GUI. I realize that we have yet another GUI for GarageBand, and another for pro apps... what kind of coffee are you guys drinking over there in Cupertino???<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by:

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 10:48 AM

"what kind of coffee are you guys drinking over there in Cupertino???"<br><br>Whatever brand it is I'm sure it costs 75% more than the normal brand.<br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 01:16 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Whatever brand it is I'm sure it costs 75% more than the normal brand.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm sure it requires some proprietary creamer as well! <br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by:

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 01:19 PM

And only brews in 3% of the coffeemakers! <br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 01:21 PM

But it out-performs any and all java serving machines!! <br><br>Watch as Phil demonstrates....<br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 01:30 PM

I can just see Starbucks copying it all and claiming they invented it!<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 01:34 PM

And here is their leader! <br><br><br><br>
Posted by:

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 01:56 PM

Better java than all the rest? Okay, maybe this was a bad analogy after all!! <br><br>

Re: So who's idea was it to ugly up OS X? - 05/04/05 01:57 PM

Also wondering...does that <A HREF=http://www.boingboing.net/2005/02/19/howto_defeat_the_drm.html>[color:DARKCYAN]<U>coffee maker have DRM governing its use</U></FONT></A>?<br><br>