No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August

Posted by: snag

No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August - 05/02/05 12:05 PM

Just found out that we can't upgrade any of our office Macs (>50) 'til the end of August at the earliest becuase of "a licensing driver incompatibility" with Creo's Pringergy system, and more significantly, a Thursby DAVE incompatibility that is supposedly "...dependent on a future release of<br>the Mac OS that includes a critical bug fix that has been acknowledged by<br>Apple."<br><br>Thanks for the notification AFTER the new OS is released.<br><br>HURRAY For Developer releases! Hurray for timely bug fixes! Way to go Thursby and Apple! What GREAT planning!<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August - 05/02/05 12:11 PM

Yeah .. It'll be a few weeks, maybe a month or so, until I can upgrade to Tiger here. <br><br>****************<br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August - 05/02/05 12:14 PM

By August, we'll already be at 10.4.5 <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August - 05/02/05 12:29 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit to using DAVE anymore? I had used it quite a bit with earlier versions of OSX, but once Windows sharing and Samba took over, I ditched it...<br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August - 05/02/05 12:57 PM

hehe yeah at 10.4.5 <br><br>

Re: No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August - 05/02/05 01:06 PM

For compatibility with the corporate WAN, browsing beyond our own subnet, authentication control, using a windows 2000 share and having all the resource forks copied probably in the finder because the MS' Service for Macintosh is unbelievably retarded (no long file names, nested folder limit, disappearing files).<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August - 05/02/05 04:17 PM

Uhm... I'm thought MacOS X could handle all of that, though I could be wrong.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August - 05/02/05 08:23 PM

I think snag meant that Win 2000 Mac Service is retarded - in which case Win 2000 is still retarded on the PC side anyway<br><br>

Re: No Tiger at the Office 'til end of August - 05/03/05 10:08 AM

Our server is also a 2004 Adobe Extreme RIP. It doesn't run on a Mac. It also has to be intregrated with the server because we use a proprietary work flow that depends on the data being on the local RAID.<br><br>As for using Mac servers elsewhere, i would love to but the chances of convincing the IT brain trusts to buy a Mac for a server are about the same as Hillary Clinton becoming President.<br><br>