Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger

Posted by: Anonymous

Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 10:45 AM

It would be nice if spotlight searched your browser cache and found webpages you recently visited. I don't know how many times I've dug thru the history, trying to find a page I viewed just a few days ago.<br><br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 11:12 AM

<br><br>Try using Quicksilver. <br><br>Here's what happens as I type "Command-Space, W-I-D-G-E"<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 11:18 AM

I have QuickSilver installed, and the only thing I seem to use it for is the pop-up multi-clipboards. I just can't seem to get a handle on all the other features.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 11:23 AM

Try typing the url into Safari...it should automatically fill in the name.<br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 11:27 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I have QuickSilver installed, and the only thing I seem to use it for is the pop-up multi-clipboards. I just can't seem to get a handle on all the other features.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Really? I can't live without it. Sure, I use it for launching apps, but I also use it for ftp transfer, revealing files, DIFFing other files, quick calculator... etc etc etc<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 11:28 AM

all that is needed is a plug-in ...spotlight is extensible<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 11:51 AM

Does quicksilver actually search the content of the pages?<br><br>I'm interested in searching the content, not searching the URL. I figure since the content is probably in the cache, it could easily search through the content there and find the URL. And if not, have a setting where the textual content is cached with the history so it can find the URL.<br><br>The other day, I spent about 45 minutes clicking on history pages to find a recipe I viewed just 3 days ago. I knew what some of the ingredients were, but I had no idea where or what the URL was.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 11:55 AM

Oh man...this is easy. <br><br>With your history open in Safari, type Command F and search away!<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 11:56 AM

It only searches the title/URL. <br><br>"I knew what some of the ingredients were, but I had no idea where or what the URL was."<br><br>Isn't that what Google is for? <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 11:59 AM

Speaking of Google...<br><br>Google should make the Google desktop search for the Mac. That thing blows the doors off anything I have ever seen. <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Missing Spot Light feature in Tiger - 04/30/05 12:02 PM

And if you really miss the Spotlight look... there's the "Flashlight" plug-in for Quicksilver:<br><br><br><br>