Tiger adds freebies, nifties

Posted by: Anonymous

Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 06:44 AM

The freebies that come with Tiger are nice -<br><br>Free Safari browser with free RSS reader<br>Dashboard with freebie widgets for weather<br><br><br>But, I was hoping for a better Finder. Put a CD in that OS X had trouble reading and the Finder went into never never land. Couldn't eject CD, tried restarting the Finder, tried logging out. Couldn't do anything with the computer for about 10 minutes until the Finder got it's mind back and finally ejected the CD.<br><br>Does anyone here think Tiger is now just 'geeked' out with more stuff normal people probably never use. What about the basics?<br><br>Just connected the firewire drive to get some stuff I backed up on it. Now spotlight is indexing it. Hmm.....<br><br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 07:11 AM

I definitely want an option to turn off spotlight because I'll never use it. <br><br>At the end of the day, a lot of it is useless window dressing. I'm not sure what I paid $129 for, other than to be able to see I'm up-to-date. <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 07:38 AM

Funny you should mention...<br><br>I'm sure there are a lot of improvements regarding speed and stability. But I look at some of the gew-gaws in Tiger and wonder what the added value is. This just reinforces my decision to stay with Panther on my Quicksilver and PB for now, and just upgrade to a G5 later this summer and not have to pay for Tiger. Besides, I can't afford upgrade issues in the middle of ongoing assignments.<br><br>All these comments are really helpful in the meantime. <br><br>

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 07:41 AM

Yeah, I mean I am glad I bought it. <br><br>Dashboard is neat, and I am sure I'll really use Automator. <br><br>That said, Jaguar remains the best update so far, mainly because of the huge jump in features and functionality from 10.0/10.1.....and the fact that it had no metal Finder <br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 07:43 AM

I am thinking along the same line as you are Steve. This is the first time I have not jumped on the upgrade bandwagon.<br><br>I upgraded the processor in my QuickSilver and am happy with the speed results. I am sure I will eventually upgrade to Tiger but I still have not read enough to convince me to take the plunge right now.<br><br>Welcome IronChef!<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 10:50 AM

Never say never ...you've just got to adjust a bit ..spotlight is THE #1 reason to upgrade. ..anyone who doesn't want spotlight apparently doesn't know the full implications of it's arrival <br><br>It's not just a new way to search for files. You'll understand in time.<br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 10:59 AM

Yowza!<br><br>

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 11:02 AM

The thing is, I know where everything is on my computer. I don't need to search for it. And if I do, Command-F is enough for me (as it has been for years.)<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 11:07 AM

It's pretty limited in what it can find. The first reason for me using it, was to try to find a webpage I just viewed recently - It can't search your browser cache. That's disappointing.<br><br>Also, I really don't need it to automatically index a firewire drive when I carry it from computer to computer. There doesn't seem to be an option to turn off index of removable media.<br><br>Maybe they'll further refine Spotlight in 10.4.1<br><br>

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 11:20 AM

but do you know every word in every email on your machine? ...inside every PDF? ..do you remember what color-space all of your images were saved in? <br><br>etc. etc. I also know where all of my files are, I'm a neat-freak extreme when it comes to my HD. Trust me, once some apps start coming out and utilizing spotlight you'll reap the benefits without even knowing spotlight is involved!<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 11:23 AM

You mean I can count how many times "the" is used?? Oh, the future is now!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 11:26 AM

my first search was "fart" ...I had no idea it was such a common term in my vocapulary <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 11:31 AM

"vocapulary"<br><br>Is that a talking blood vessel?? <br><br>

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 12:02 PM

I think so, let me consult my dictionary dashboard widget! <br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 12:10 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>All these comments are really helpful in the meantime.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yep. They've convinced me to spend an extra $15 and get the Photoshop CS2 upgrade instead.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm sure there are a lot of improvements regarding speed and stability.<p><hr></blockquote><p>My 2 1/3 year old machine came with 10.2. I've installed all the 'upgrades' to 10.3.9 and never noticed any difference in speed or stability from 10.2. Maybe, being an old guy, I just don't notice something taking 1/2 second less to respond.<br><br>

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 02:20 PM

THINKFAST!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>Oops. Sorry. <br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 03:30 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Yep. They've convinced me to spend an extra $15 and get the Photoshop CS2 upgrade instead.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ditto, ditto, ditto!<br><br>Well, actually...I could only afford one of the two upgrades right now...and seeing as I seem to live, breathe, eat, dream Photoshop these days...it was an easy decision to make.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 07:55 PM

Is this a freebie?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 08:08 PM

Go to System Preferences> Spotlight>Privacy and add any external drives you don't want indexed.<br><br>
Posted by: Dissenter

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 04/30/05 08:10 PM

I wish I had stuck with Panther. I just couldn't take it anymore. After work yesterday I found myself heading over to the Apple Store on Michigan Ave as it's just a short walk away. They were Tiger decked out. I honestly had no intention of making a purchase, but some of the stuff I saw just made my jaw drop. <br><br>I couldn't help myself.<br><br>So, I got Tiger installed last night and spent most of the night fiddling.<br><br>My problem is just the opposite of what you complain about. I love Tiger. I have already made use of smart folders and have learned how to use Automater. Now, I'll go into work on Monday and have to use Panther and long for my new short cuts in Tiger. Tiger rules if you figure it out. This is about like when I first got a cable modem after being on dial-up. Once you taste broadband, you can't go back to dial-up if given a choice. Once you learn, I mean learn, Tiger, you can't go back to Panther, but I have no choice. None of the tools I use at the office have any problems in Tiger, but the powers that be in my office won't even have this discussion for many months. Crapola!<br><br>

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 05/01/05 05:58 AM

Ah feeyul yoah payeen, brothah!<br><br>Last year, just before I moved to Flori-duh, I did a 5 week gig at Y&R (Wunderman, actually), and had to work on a G3 Smurf running 8.5 and Quark 3!<br><br>But I'm gonna stick with my current upgrade strategy. With things like Suitcase (without which I'm screwed) requiring updates, and gawd-knows-what-else... I have to take the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach for now.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 05/01/05 10:01 AM

FWIW Steve, if you're running the latest version of Suitcase, it works fine in Tiger, as does the entire Adobe CreativeSuite (except I can't get GoLive to even install - I think the InstallerVISE software is the problem) and Quark 6.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 05/01/05 11:24 AM

Well that's good to know. Still, I'm a little skittish about jeopardizing my workflow, and I don't see anything in Tiger that's an imperative must-have. And with a G5 (which will wear Tiger far better than my ol' 733) only 2 or 3 months away, I can wait.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 05/01/05 11:33 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I don't see anything in Tiger that's an imperative must-have.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I guess you didn't see dancing hula girl?<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 05/01/05 12:11 PM

How can you possibly live without these? <br><br><br><br>

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 05/01/05 12:21 PM

I can get a real one for the the rear window of my car at Pep Boys. <br><br>

Re: Tiger adds freebies, nifties - 05/01/05 12:24 PM

Must... remain... strong...<br><br>*clenches eyelids and holds breath* <br><br>