New G5s? Is that it?

Posted by: Anonymous

New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 06:23 AM

I'm really really really NOT impressed by this. In fact, this upgrade makes me worry because it could be that the G5 chip is in serious trouble production wise.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 06:31 AM

As with everything Apple, it is what it is. <br><br>There's no way of knowing what's next. All you know is what you see on the shelf. <br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 06:34 AM

I have another way of looking at it ...<br><br>It's always good when Apple continues to upgrade product. I can remember back to mid 90s and wondering if Apple was going to go under. <br><br>There has never been a clearer divide between Apple's pro line and consumer line. To get in to a mid-range Power Mac and a 23" Cinema display, at a minimum you're looking at $4,000. That's pricing that just isn't for mere mortals .. unless you're willing to pay on a credit card for the next 22 years ... <br><br>That's why I'm perfectly happy using an eMac to email, burn CDs, play with Photoshop Elements and surf the internet. I don't need the $10,000 cheese grater for any of that.<br><br>****************<br>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 06:37 AM

Exactly. <br><br>Personally, I could never justify a G5 unless I was using it for production work of some type to make a living. <br><br>Otherwise, it's a Mac Mini and a cheapo LCD from Wal-Mart for me. <br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 06:47 AM

Sure .. when I looked at the situation, I asked myself what I'd be doing with the Mac.<br><br>-email<br>-Internet<br>-iTunes and music<br>-iPhoto and Photoshop Elements (I don't need Adobe CS). <br>-Pro Tools (nothing extensive - MBox)<br>-iMovie<br><br>For all of that, my eMac (maxed out with RAM) works fine. So would an iMac. Now, if I were doing more extensive Pro Tools work, or were a graphics or video pro ...where processor performance matters... I'd certainly have a Power Mac at home. Otherwise, it just seems like serious, serious overkill .. <br><br>****************<br>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 06:57 AM

There was a time, when Apple was selling G4 towers for $1299, where you could justify it based on the expansion (four hard drives, 2 optical drives.) Now that Apple has gone to pretty much Firewire for all that in the pro line, no real incentive to buy for the prosumer. <br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 07:04 AM

are you ready to throw down 2 grand for a G5?<br><br>if not you are just in the proverbial pissing match of processor speeds. The computer is a tool<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 07:24 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>or all of that, my eMac (maxed out with RAM) works fine. So would an iMac. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Ahhh, yes, but the iMac IS a G5, and a much better price than the tower considering it comes with the LCD. I would suspect that with the exception of iBooks, we'll see G5s in everything by the end of the year.&#10;&#10;That being said, I don't understand how some people feel they *need* a G5. A guy at work wanted to get a G5 for home (mostly for his wife) but was bitching about the price. I asked what he planned to do with it and he said the typical consumer response: email, web surf, digital photos, letters, etc... After he got over the initial anger of me calling him a jackass, I sent him up to the Biltmore Apple store here in Phoenix and told him to take a look at the MacMini.&#10;&#10;Needless to say, he is VERY happy with a G4. He got a smaller LCD, a printer, wireless keyboard and mouse and a cheap scanner for $1,000 Š THAT'S HALF THE PRICE OF A G5 ALONE! He also swapped the RAM with a larger stick, but I don't know how much or what he paid. &#10;&#10;Point being, people who complain about the price of a G5 obviously don't need a G5. I applaud you guys for being smart enough to know what you need vs. what you want and spending your cash appropriately.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: margadagio

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 08:14 AM

I can't understand folks bitching either. I needed a G5 for the apps that I use, not because I'm a pro but because it's my hobby. I saved up my pennies for it, never once bitching about price. It's MY decision to go the G5 tower route. If all I did was what the average person uses their mac for then a Mac mini would suffice. <br><br>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 08:14 AM

I can't understand folks bitching either. I needed a G5 for the apps that I use, not because I'm a pro but because it's my hobby. I saved up my pennies for it, never once bitching about price. It's MY decision to go the G5 tower route. If all I did was what the average person uses their mac for then a Mac mini would suffice. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 08:26 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I can't understand folks bitching either.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>The answer so nice she posted it twice...<br><br>Seriously, though- for someone soon upgrading from a dual 500 G4, I couldn't be more pleased with the current line- the low end, anyway. What's also nice is that I don't have to add hundreds upon hundreds of dollars in upgrades- $100 more on the memory to bring it to 1gb, and $50 more to up the vid card a notch.<br><br>In the past, it seems like you'd have to tack on about 3-400 smackers just to make it a decent working machine...<br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 08:33 AM

The towers "out of the box" are well spec'd. The only thing I bought after buying my Rev A 1.8 dual G5 was another GB of RAM and just recently added a 250 GB hard drive.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 09:18 AM

The high ends are too expensive for what they are offering. At least, bump up the Ram to 1GB. That's a minimum! And the graphic card? Please...did Apple look through the ATI trash can for hit? I would understand a card like this on a consumer machine, but this is the top of the line they're shipping it with!!!<br><br>Really, really, really not impressed! The machine is great and all, but for what it it, Apple should have just not released anything until they were ready to release something respectable.<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 09:29 AM

Well I AM impressed! You must be a newb to Macs. Apple has consistently produced great products since Jobs came back, better than they ever have in the history of the company IMO. Because I too recall the mid-late 90s wondering if Apple was going under. Then wondering if we would break the 1 GHz barrier. So what if G5s aren't at 10 GHz yet. My 1 year old dual 2 GHz model is plenty fast. Chip speeds haven't increased much over the last two years, not from Intel, AMD or IBM. Current chips are too fast for 90% of the computer buying public anyway. I was also impressed that Freescale has produced 2 GHz G4s. I have 2 G4s at home, dual 1.4 GHz and a 1.2 GHz upgraded Digital Audio G4 and you know what? The G4s are plenty fast too. They still feel faster than most "fast" PCs I've used. I also have a dual G5 at work and at home. I use it for heavy-duty graphics, video, 3D animation, etc. Would I like a 10 GHz machine...of course! But I am totally happy with the current performance of the G5s. It would still cost more to get an equivalent Alienware box or Xeon workstation. We have been ordering single processor Xeon workstations for our engineering department and so far every one of them has been $500-$1000 more than a low-midrange G5. The high end G5s are about the same as the mid-range dual Xeons. So I think Apple is doing just fine and I think the G5 pro line is very competitive.<br><br>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 09:37 AM

I agree that they should probably have a 3ghz machine by now, but I guess my perspective is deviated a bit from potentially upgrading from such an outdated machine...<br><br>I also agree that 1gb should be the standard, but hey- it was 256mb before today...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: garyW

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 09:54 AM

I think it's much better that Apple doesn't up the RAM. Pro users have specific needs and filling slots with 256 modules may be a waste if your aim is to fill it with 512s or 1 gigs. Although for the consumer gear, I think the iMacs and powerbooks should definitely ship with higher RAM.<br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 10:05 AM

RAM is cheap, some need more, many don't. I don't want to pay more for the machine just because it has four 256MB sticks that I'm going to throw away so I can replace them with 512 or 1gig sticks.<br><br>And the video card??? For what? Are you under the assumption that everyone who buys a Mac is playing Quake? Because there is very little reason (if any at all) to have a better video card installed other than games. High end print, web and audio, as well as general consumers surfing the web ges no benefit at all with a better card than what is already in there.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 10:10 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Pro users have specific needs and filling slots with 256 modules may be a waste if your aim is to fill it with 512s or 1 gigs.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Apple could put a 1 gig stick in the G5's and still sell them for the same price.<br><br>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 10:13 AM

1gb has always been enough for me- actually I'm running with 896mb in my G4 and rarely have had a problem. Apple's '1gb' option is two 512mb modules, so that's fine IMO...<br><br>The big reason for me to upgrade is photos & video- the 500 G4 is sluggish when working in iPhoto and especially crawls when rendering anything in FCP. Time to give my workflow a little punch...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: garyW

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 10:28 AM

Apple could put a 1 gig stick in the G5's and still sell them for the same price<br><br>1 gig sticks are much pricier than 1 pair of 512s, how do you figure? If a dual tower has 4 slots, you gotta fill it with 2x512s <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 12:33 PM

They also lowered the price of the 20 and 23inch monitors.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 01:46 PM

Yes you're correct about installing in pairs, I forgot about that.<br><br>Still, with the markup Apple makes on these systems they could stick two 1gig sticks in there and still charge the same price. The difference between two sticks of 512 and two 1 gig sticks of PC3200 is about $65 retail. Apple certainly isn't paying anywhere near that.<br><br>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 03:40 PM

*WORD*!<br><br>I've been getting a kick out of forums this week (not this one) where people are acting all whiny about not getting a copy of Tiger because their office hasn't approved it or whatever reason.<br><br>Like productivity will completely stop on April 29th. Not.<br><br>It's all just Pavlovian Ennui(tm)<br><br>-------<br>Aren't you a little old for post-modern nostalgic irony?
Posted by: lesh

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 03:59 PM

Yeah, yeah...the sky is falling, the forum is dying, someone's not happy with the latest & greatest...we've heard it all before.<br><br>The Apple Product Cycle<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 04:19 PM

Hey! Get on board with the new Apple math... 2 x 2.7 GHz = 5.4 GHz... well past the promised 3 GHz!!! <br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 05:19 PM

The Apple product life cycle is hilarious! <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 05:34 PM

HHAHAHAA! That was awesome!<br><br>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 05:55 PM

Thanks for the laugh!<br><br>
Posted by: maclicious

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 06:09 PM

From the author of the The Apple Product Cycle article:<br><br>"In spite of his loyalty to the platform, he finds most "Mac people" to be tiresome and annoying. He is pretty sure that if he had to attend WWDC or Macworld, he would wind up slapping the shyt out of a bunch of people."<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by maclicious on 04/27/05 09:11 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 06:55 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Somebody starts a thread on a Mac chat board that asks whether anyone knows of a way to use the new device with some other nerd toy in a way that makes no sense whatsoever. Out of the blue, somebody writes a hack that facilitates the unholy combination and offers it as $39 shareware. Seven of the nine people who actually try to use the hack download it off of BitTorrent and use a pirate serial number. Advocates point to this as an example of how independent Mac software development is thriving.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: iRock

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 07:03 PM

That's just grand! I love it.<br>Now everybody clear the way.. <br>OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGODOMIGODOMIGODOMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD!!!!!!!!<br>It's TIGERRRR!!!<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 07:36 PM

I was trying to pick out my favorite and most apropos part to quote...but there were too many of them! Glad y'all liked it. <br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 08:26 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The haters offer their assessment. The forums are ablaze with vitriolic rage. Haters pan the device for being less powerful than a Cray X1 while zealots counter that it is both smaller and lighter than a Buick Regal. The virtual slap-fight goes on and on, until obscure technical nuances like, “Will it play multiplexed Ogg Vorbis streams?” become matters of life and death.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Man that's great stuff...hmmm...didn't I recently hear this somewhere? Thanks lesh! I had forgotten all about this page. I saved it this time.<br><br>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 09:29 PM

Oh god the more I look at that pict I just laugh harder and harder... scary.<br><br>-------<br>Aren't you a little old for post-modern nostalgic irony?

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 09:33 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>From the author of the The Apple Product Cycle article:<br><br>"In spite of his loyalty to the platform, he finds most "Mac people" to be tiresome and annoying. He is pretty sure that if he had to attend WWDC or Macworld, he would wind up slapping the shyt out of a bunch of people."<p><hr></blockquote><p>Now swap Mac with "AIGA".<br><br>-------<br>Aren't you a little old for post-modern nostalgic irony?
Posted by: carp

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 09:36 PM

Well think of it as he is making up the difference from all those thousands of PC users who camped out in front of CompUSA stores across the US for their fresh copy of Win95 OMG-OMG-OMG <--- that was their big fan fare<br><br>Oddly that never happened again ?<br><br>

Re: New G5s? Is that it? - 04/27/05 09:37 PM

I remember that back in the day. Seeing the huge signs in windows about the release and people making a big deal. Positively weird.<br><br>-------<br>Aren't you a little old for post-modern nostalgic irony?