UPS suggestions needed

Posted by: zwei

UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:31 PM

I'm looking to purchase a battery backup for my Quicksilver G4. I only want to protect it, the monitor, and my DSL modem. Anyone have any experience with This Battery Backup? According to an article on MacWorld it is compatible with OS X, but I'd like to hear it from someone on here. Also, it says it will shut down all by itself. Is that a PC-only feature? I haven't seen any mention of Mac software.<br><br>If you have a suggestion for a better UPS (in the same price range) I'd love to hear about it. Thanks in advance.<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:36 PM

It's too small - it won't be able to power the G4 and monitor. Not even for a second.<br><br><br>We buying a UPS look at the VA rating. The one we have for a G4 + display is 1200VA, the link you have is only 500VA<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:45 PM

Humm<br><br>At work we have the APS not the APC thats mention.<br>Still be careful. We had a forklift run into our power line, the APS protected the computers but enough surge went through and fried the surge protectors, hub and router and started a small fire <-- well the surge protector went up in smoke.<br><br>

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:49 PM

I went through their Wizard and it was on the list. Here's what I had configured...<br><br>Computer Type: Tower<br>Monitor Type: 14-15" LCD<br>Processor Type: PPC G4<br>Internal HDs: 2<br>DSL Modem<br>Hub/Switch<br><br>I guess it would make sense to get a larger one for future expansion (G5 w/larger monitor) ...do you know if it will shut a Mac down by itself though?<br><br>

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:51 PM

Hopefully there won't be any forklift incidents in our house <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:55 PM

I have an APC CS 500 for my Quicksilver. Monitor (NEC LCD1715), and my LaCie external 120GB drive are also plugged in to the back-up outlets. Served me quite well during the hurricanes last year. I don't bother with the modem, because invariably, if we lose power, we lose our cable at the same time. <br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:56 PM

"Not even for a second."<br><br>Oh, really? <br><br>I have my G5 DP 2.5 and Samsung 213T LCD connected to an old APC 450 VA and, when I unplugged it from the wall, it ran both fine for a minute and then I plugged it back in. Admittedly, it's underpowered for my setup and I want to get something in the 650 VA+ range, but it's fine for momentary power outages.<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:58 PM

I have their 750 for my QuickSilver, 19" monitor and a USB hub. I never had it run out but it has lasted over 15 minutes before. I have two smaller ones for my DSL modem, router, and even a cordless phone.<br><br>

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:59 PM

Does it shut your Mac down automatically? How long did it support your system on battery power?<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 02:59 PM

Don't forget the UPS for the can opener! <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 03:01 PM

Do this<br><br><br>not this<br><br><br><br>

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 03:02 PM

LMAO ...I'll put that in my notes <br><br>
Posted by: Walrus

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 03:32 PM

what Steve said. I've got basically the same set-up demands, and APC does have OS X software to shut down your computer in case of a power outage.<br><br>[color:red]Bibo, ergo sum</font color=red>

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 03:41 PM

that's mainly what I needed to know ...did you have the same version as steve?<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 03:46 PM

Supposedly, It'll power my system for a/b 20 min. I have it set to shut down automatically after 5 minutes. I haven't been away at the tinme of any outages yet, so I dunno if it actually works, but there's no reason not to expect it to.<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 04:02 PM

Zach - something to consider when looking at the many different models of UPS units - check the number of outlets that are battery protected. It's not necessarily the same as the number of outlets provided.<br><br>

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 05:44 PM

Thanks for the advice! I see that now. Luckily I should only need 2 outlets at the moment.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/23/05 06:02 PM

Why bother with a UPS? I've been running my computer off a 9 volt battery for a month! <br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/24/05 02:29 AM

Well, I can't find the exact one I have, but I think it's similar to this. Anyway, don't get it. It can't support both my G5 and my monitor. Kind of annoying.<br><br>
Posted by: Walrus

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/24/05 07:03 AM

I have the CS 500 also. Three outlets for battery backup and three for surge protection only, plus a phone line protector.<br><br>[color:red]Bibo, ergo sum</font color=red>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/24/05 09:07 PM

It will shut down but if your Mac is sleeping it won't wake it up and then shut it down.<br><br><br>

Re: UPS suggestions needed - 04/25/05 06:05 AM

That's ok ...I never put my machine to sleep anyway. Thanks everyone!<br><br>
Posted by: MrB

A good thread - 04/25/05 08:16 AM

This is all good information. Along with what was posted at MC, I might have enough info to make a decision for own situation.<br><br>MrB<br><br>