I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other guy

Posted by: skuldugary

I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other guy - 04/20/05 03:43 PM

I picked up an iSight and when compared to the Logitech Quickcam 2000, the iSight stinks.<br><br>The Quickcam image is a bit softer than the iSight, but in anything less than perfect light, the iSight has as much grain as a 1920's Keystone Cop movie. <br><br>On top of that, the iSight needs third party software, iGlasses, to function properly. The Quickcam runs fine out of the box. <br><br>I know our team can't hit a home run every time, but it would be nice if the iSight could at least hit it past the pitchers mound.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other guy - 04/20/05 03:52 PM

The iSight was ahead of its time and a total home run when it came out two years ago. Since then, Apple has let it wither on the vine and the competition has caught up. <br><br>The iSight quality is stunning...if you're sitting under a street lamp when you use it <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other guy - 04/20/05 04:50 PM

Actually, I find my iSight to function pretty good. Sound is excellent and while it needs some lighting during the evening, the video is very good here.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/20/05 04:51 PM

Yeah but it's Logitech. Buy one today and have no support tomorrow.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other guy - 04/20/05 05:01 PM

I read there is some tweeks for the iSight in Tiger. Until then I'm doing fine with mine with the addition of iGlasses.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other guy - 04/20/05 08:17 PM

Very interesting I was thinking about buying a iSight maybe I should wait a bit<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/20/05 08:25 PM

Mine works just fine straight out of the box, and I don't notice any grain problems. Also keep in mind that iChat in Tiger will support H.264 compression with the iSight. I guess it will *probably* work with the Quickcam too, but I wouldn't hold my breath.<br><br>The only thing I don't like about the iSight is that it uses some weird way of capturing sound that makes it hard for third party software (e.g. Snapz) to intercept. I don't know whay Apple would do that, but I hope that changes with Tiger.<br><br>

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/20/05 08:28 PM

I wonder if that grain problem is video card related ??<br><br>Hey Skul what card you have ??<br><br>

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/20/05 09:26 PM

It's a firewire audio line in...should just be straight core audio.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/20/05 09:29 PM

Hey Skuld... you've been a Mac user for how long now???&#10;&#10;APPLE is the company. MAC is the name of the computer. <br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: Trog

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/20/05 09:44 PM

Should be. It works fine with Apple applications (e.g. iMovie), but if you try and capture sound using 3rd party software and the iSight as a microphone you're usually out of luck.<br><br>

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/20/05 10:03 PM

[color:blue]Should be. It works fine with Apple applications (e.g. iMovie), but if you try and capture sound using 3rd party software and the iSight as a microphone you're usually out of luck.</font color=blue><br><br>Sounds like with the SuperDrive and IDVD, that dohicky when the drive first came out. Smelled proprietary <br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other guy - 04/21/05 02:47 AM

Carp, go ahead and get the iSight. I love mine.<br><br>There are changes in Tiger that will enhance both video and audio for the iSight.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/21/05 03:31 AM

Never experienced the probs you describe. In fact, even in very low light, image quality has always been excellent. No graininess at all, and the recent update has even improved performance noticeably. And I've never needed iGlasses.<br><br>Did you forget to take the lens cap off? <br><br>

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/21/05 03:47 AM

The biggest thing is light. <br><br>If you can blast the room with light, the iSight will look like a million dollars. <br><br>Without it, your friends will think you're the emperor on Star Wars. <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/21/05 03:51 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Without it, your friends will think you're the emperor on Star Wars.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And this is a bad thing? <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/21/05 04:33 AM

<br><br><br>

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/21/05 06:50 AM

It's in low light where the iSight really feels the pain. I'm using iGlasses, so it may be that the noise I'm seeing on the image is due to the software trying to keep up with the lack of bright, direct sunlight.<br><br>

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/21/05 06:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I tired it on the Mini and on my G4. I got the same thing. I don't know if both use the same card.<br><br>

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/21/05 06:57 AM

I use them interchangably. Non MAC people who use PC's and not MAC's don't use the word Apple. They use MAC, so I use MAC, too. <br><br>That (MAC) way, every(MAC)one knows what (MAC) we're talking a(MAC)bout.<br><br>But thank you MACgizmo for clearing that up for me. <br><br>rotf I'm just teasing you. <br><br>Actually, I'm guilty of calling everything Apple related, a Mac. <br><br>

Re: I hate to admit Mac isn't as good as the other - 04/21/05 06:59 AM

Lens cap? DOH!<br><br>Steve, I can only guess that even your low light must be good light, or you got a really good camera. <br><br>I'll see if I can make a picture from it and show you tonight.<br><br>