Logitech dumping Mac support

Posted by: Bryan

Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 03:42 PM

So the MS mouse/keyboard combo I bought didn't quite work out..didn't like the keyboard. So I decided to get a Logitech. <br><br>Went to Sam's Club and looked at the two sets they had there....the wireless one with the keyboard and the mouse that has the charging dock. No mention anywhere on the packaging of Mac support. On the wired set, same thing. <br><br>I come home and hit the net.....and sure enough, Logitech is slowly phasing out Mac support...of their entire keyboard line, only the cordless comfort duo (split keyboard...not a fan,) the Internet Navigator and the Elite are supported. <br><br>Pretty lame, if you ask me. Their mice continue to be supported, but not the sets. They still have a USB port, too. <br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 03:52 PM

Not surprising from the company that killed Quickcam for Mac. They've always been Mac haters since they actually have to market to Mac users if they want to sell their crap.<br><br>I was looking at buying one of their universal remotes. Think I'll shop around a bit more.<br><br>

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 03:57 PM

Yeah..I mean, for crying out loud, even Microsoft supports the Mac on all of their USB keyboards, mice and the sets. <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:08 PM

I had posted a problem on their support forum and went back the next day to see if there were replies... the message wasn't even there anymore. Total pricks.<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:10 PM

At least they're an equal opportunity offender. I attached a LogiTech keyboard/mouse combo to the kids' Dell and the software is a lot less configurable than on a Mac. It doesn't even support Firefox natively, you have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it to work. I haven't really had a lot of problems with the software on a Mac. I'm sure some other third-party software like USB overdrive will pick up the slack.<br><br>

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:11 PM

On Logitech's?<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:14 PM

Yeah. Kensington is much more Mac-friendly. World's greatest software, too.<br><br>

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:16 PM

<br><br>What I secretly want is one of the ancient "clackety clack" keyboards from the old IBM days. A lot of these keyboards out today are just pure mush. <br><br>And keyboards that have no wrist rest (like most of Kensington's offerings) aren't worth the bother. I might as well just keep Apple's keyboard. <br><br>I'm still going to look at the two wired keyboards Logitech does support, since they're pretty cheap. <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:16 PM

No sh!t, eh? I heard that even Apple is dropping it's Mac support in 2 years! <br><br><br>I'm goin' back to Amiga, dammit! <br><br>

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:18 PM

Haven't you heard? Apple is selling the Mac business to Gateway and dropping Mac support for the iPod!<br><br>

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:21 PM

Best keyboard I've ever had was a Macally Ice. Smooth, crisp action, beautifully designed, and very durable. Except that, like a lot of 3rd-party keyboards, it didn't always play nice w/OS X. Things like fsck almost never worked properly, and a few keyboard shortcuts didn't work at all. I eventually went back to Apple's own.<br><br>

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:23 PM

Who needs an iPod anyway. My cell phone plays 78's and 8-tracks! <br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:25 PM

I bought a new Kensington about a month ago (same one we were talking about before) and although I knew any of the mice would work (I wasn't looking at cordless) I specifically looked for the OS X finder icon on the package. Same reason I bought a D-Link router. I vote with my pocket book.<br><br>

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:26 PM

Yeah..sometimes I think that's just what I'll do. <br><br>Some of the software is nice and really configurable, but it gets a little ridiculous...<br><br>"Look...I can press this favorites key on my new Logitech keyboard and the toilet flushes!"<br><br>

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:33 PM

LOL. The original delete key. <br><br>
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: Logitech dumping Mac support - 04/19/05 04:36 PM

What I have to wonder though, is that even if LogiTech says they're dropping Mac support, don't you kind of figure that 5, or even 10 years from now a new LogiTech mouse will still be useable under Mac OS-whatever via their present driver? I can't imagine that much change happening between now and then.<br><br>