Breaking News

Posted by: MacGuru

Breaking News - 04/18/05 03:45 AM

Adobe to buy macromedia:<br><br>http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=11340<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 04:05 AM

I highly doubt the DOJ and the EU will let that happen, at least not without some serious divesture of assets. <br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 04:46 AM

Great. That means a couple things:<br><br>Flash wont die (Adobe was supporting SVG, I guess they'll switch to Flash now).<br>Macromedia will probably integrate their poor mac performance into adobe products.<br>People will have a one-stop solution for making Webpages that only work in IE.<br>It will now officially be impossible for any company to go into the DTP industry against Adobe<br>Flash wont die (so bad I had to mention it twice)<br><br>In other news, my school just changed the name of it's Graphic Design program to Adobe and the name of it's New Media program to Adobe Lite.<br><br>

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 04:48 AM

I would imagine since Dreamweaver is much more popular than GoLive that we'll see it get sold off or shelved. <br><br>So much for competition <br><br><embed src="http://fangor.freeshell.org/sound/wahwah.wav" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type=video/quicktime><br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 06:47 AM

Why would they shelve a product that's probably the best-selling web page-creation software on the market? <br><br>We'll probably get the best of both programs...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 07:18 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Why would they shelve a product that's probably the best-selling web page-creation software on the market? <p><hr></blockquote><p>It's simple. GoLive & Dreamweaver are the only two PRO web page creation apps on the market, the DOJ simply isn't going to allow them to keep them. Just like they wouldn't allow Adobe to keep Freehand when they purchased Aldus because they already had Illustrator.<br><br>So obviously, Freehand will be sold yet again as well. Though I'm sure 90% of the Mac-using world just assume it go away anyway.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 07:22 AM

I *won't* be a happy camper if DW goes away. <br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 07:54 AM

There is much Adobe can take from Freehand!<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 08:24 AM

I guess we could say now the Adobe acquisition of Aldus is complete. <br><br>

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 10:50 AM

I'm wondering what Apple will do here. When some of the overlapping apps go on the market, I wonder if they'll pick them up. <br><br>They did buy what became Final Cut from Macromedia...I think it was originally going to be called "Key Grip" or something like that. <br><br>Maybe it won't be Apple. Maybe MS will jump in. <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 11:20 AM

Screw 'em both, all I need is Xtralean.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 11:28 AM

There certainly are some odd "features" in Freehand, such as OPI comments being turned on by default, which often causes files to error out when they hit an OPI server and the original image is nowhere to be found even though it's already embedded. I won't miss Freehand but I will miss competition, even though Freehand effectively stopped competing years ago anyway. Now Adobe can jack their prices and institute with impunity calls home in all their software.<br><br>

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 11:30 AM

Yeah, but how does this affect Quark? <br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: Breaking News - 04/18/05 07:06 PM

Quark is dead meat by their own design, to slow and much to late.<br><br>Adobe will do, like MS has always done - Strip the best parts/codes out of the software, stab it in the back and toss it in the garbage can for a slow horrible death.<br><br>Providing that Adobe was smart enough to buy the patents as-well.<br><br>