yoyo started this!!

Posted by: bird

yoyo started this!! - 11/26/02 11:04 PM

He mentioned the clamshell ibook in his post and I started wanting one again! So I went to e-bay and of course became completely confused! It seems color has a lot to do with price, at least that is my opinion! Lol!! The HD,s vary from 3GB,s up to 20, and all seem to be running many different os's! I have never reinstalled any kind of upgrade ,s in my life!! well what I am trying to say is what do I need to look for and what are the chances of osX running smoothly on the older models!! I would like to send the info on 2 that I like to any members here that are willing to give me thier opinion> I could use some friendly advice! If anyone is interested please pm me!! The one I like is up for 4 more days!! Thanks, I would just put the info here but don't know how to do that, and could send them by e-mail, if someone wants to help me!! I am not computer savey about HD's, mb's or MHZ lol!! And I promise if I get one and it blows up I will not blame anyone!! I saw where e-bay has a warrenty program now, and a few of the ibooks did also!! thanks!!<br><br>Lets dance!
Posted by: iRock

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/26/02 11:08 PM

When you are viewing the auction, bird in the address bar in your browser, copy and paste the link to the auctions in your post here. Then we can all go look. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions. We are rooting(inciting?) for you. good luck<br><br>Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/27/02 12:54 AM

I have an iBook SE 466Mhz, which is the fastest Clamshell iBook and it runs 10.2 (and 10.1) just fine. The only problem with it for OS X is that it has only an 800 x 600 resolution screen which is too small for X really.<br><br>"I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring."<br>- Richard P Feynman, Last Words<br>

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/27/02 12:59 AM

Thanks Shel, I know you will be thrilled with me, (as thrilled as getting a stick in the eye) I sent you the 2 I like and their is one more I have to check again!! I am embarrassed to say copying and pasting is something I am not to good at!! I gave it a go and I have no idea where they went, sad but true, I will try again , but no promises!! Thanks for your encouragement! yoyo just had to mention the word clamshell, he got the ball rolling, <br><br>Lets dance!

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/27/02 05:31 AM

No problem, bird. Mom has trouble with that, too.<br>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2074551315<br><br>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2075236133<br><br>Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Posted by: hayesk

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/27/02 05:39 AM

I'll second MacGuru's comments. I too have a iBook 466 running Jag. It has 320 MB RAM and 10G disk. Jag runs fine. The 800x600 is ok for web surfing and email, but I wouldn't want to try developing software or do a lot of graphics work on it. Basically I end up hiding a lot of toolbars and stuff which really helps to make it more usable. I learn the web browser keystrokes and hide the toolbars, and I set the dock to the left and to autohide.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/27/02 05:40 AM

How much do you want to spend on a clamshell iBook? I have the 366MHz model, SE Graphite. Works great, no FireWire though and only a 6GB drive. It does have 10.2.2 on it and a heap of software, and has 320MB of RAM. I might be interested in selling it, but I am not totally sure about that. Depends on what I could get for it. PM me, if you are interested. It runs OS X pretty decently for an older iBook. <br><br><br><br>

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/27/02 05:45 AM

Those you linked to at eBay are both the 300MHz model. <br><br>Bird, I'd go with the 366 at least, the 466 with FireWire if you can afford one. Graphite is the color to have IMO. But, on the other hand why not look for one newer than the clamshell, probably not that much more and they are faster, have bigger drives and run OS X even better.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/27/02 08:41 AM

Sorry (not!) to have gotten you on this jag bird!<br><br>I agree with Mike--get an iBook that has firewire built in and runs at 466 MHz. My (I mean my son's) clamshell is an 300 MHz machine that we got from smalldog, refurbished, and in the refurbishing they'd substituted a 466 processor. We didn't return it It runs X very well, and my son really doesn't mind the small screen at all. It doesn't run Warcraft III very well, though--in fact my G4 doesn't run it well either because it requires a really fast processor. But that's his only (and frequent) complaint with his iBook. He figures that if he complains often enough, he'll get a new machine for his birthday or something.<br><br>HA!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

thanks all!! - 11/27/02 10:49 AM

Thank you all! I started to see the many differences when I was looking last night and did decide that if I get one I will get fire-wire! Mike you know us women , I know a newer one would be better but I love the look of the older clamshell! Thanks for your offer, and advice! I am such a novice here I saw some models have a yoyo adapter( I am thinking this is a charger) not sure !!, it seems that some are listing so many programs included that don't have the back ups etc, just have the os's on the hard drive!! I know I need to get one that have the back up disks(guess I said that right) Also , I know you will shake your heads at this I am not sure what the Ethernet deal is, I think you need cable! I am on dial up high on a mountain and don't even know if a airport card and station would work!! (another investment, more money)I just wanted a small puter so I could move around more! My dad has been ill and thought I could take the clamshell into my bedroom at night and be closer to his bedroom, you get what I am trying to say. Just be able to move it around > I,m sure now I had better investigate if I would even be able to run it on my mountain!! The airport would run off of my main puter I believe!! And I need a base!! Hell this is so confusing, lol!! I will keep looking and see if I can find one that has firewire and osx and also find out if I can use it here on my mountain. You can tell I have no idea of what makes a puter tick but I am learning, thanks to you all I also am listening to the advice getting a newer one , I am sure you all are probably right here too. I will digest everything you have offered. You all have given me something to think about, before I buy blindly. Need to learn a few terms and exactly what I want. Thanks again yoyo And a big hug to iRock , thanks for taking the time to do that for me!! And just plain thanks too all! I know everybody wasn't born with all this mac knowledge but I am sure in a group of smart mackers here , and you all never make me feel stupid!! I do that all on my own I wouldn't even have my piggies or little dancing sta-puff man if it wasn't for Lori's help. You guys and gals are all great!!!!!<br><br>Lets dance!

Re: thanks all!! - 11/27/02 11:53 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I saw some models have a yoyo adapter<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I'm really not that hard to get used to, bird <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Lol!!!!! - 11/27/02 03:35 PM

When I first saw your name I never even thought of a mac!! I learned something from looking on e-bay and the clamshells!! Lol, yoyo adapter= mac!! Before that I just thought you loved yoyo,s the toy!! Never related it to the mac at all!! And maybe I am wrong and you are a grand champion yoyo, whiz!!<br><br>Lets dance!
Posted by: carp

Re: Lol!!!!! - 11/27/02 04:21 PM

No<br>He goes up and down and back and forth like a YoYo.<br>Sometimes he gets lighted up and makes those special effects. <br><br>

Re: thanks all!! - 11/27/02 06:49 PM

Shucks, it weren't much. But you can use it just like you do your desktop Mac. There is the same phone line hook up for dial up. So if your bedroom has a phone jack you can use it there. Then if you want to move it around without a cord for the internet you install an airport card in the desktop Mac(iMac?) and one in the iBook. Then it will broadcast the internet signal to the laptop and it can be used anywhere within range of the other Mac for internet. If you are not using internet it can be used anywhere. I have a really long phone cord I use for my PowerBook because I am too cheap to buy an Airport card. So it doesn't matter where you live, just the equipment.<br>PS if I explained this wrong someone jump in here and clarify. <br><br> Give Thanks!

Re: thanks all!! - 11/27/02 07:48 PM

You are right about the clamshell design, I think it is one of the most unique designs ever made and is one reason I still love this old thing. Somehow the newer iBooks, nice as they are, just don't have the character of the clamshell. But, get the newest and fastest one you can afford, you won't regret it. As for being up on a mountain up out in the boonies, not a problem as long as you have the dialup account that you have now. Airport is nice of course and I would highly recommend it if you can afford it. Great to be wireless and take your laptop anywhere in the house or yard. Feel free to ask questions, we are all here to explain whatever you need to know. Sorry to hear about your father's illness though, I hope he gets better. Keep us posted on what you decide to get and enjoy whatever you end up with. FireWire is great, but not much use if you don't have an iPod or a digital camcorder or FireWire hard drive for backups. I got my first FireWire Mac recently and promptly went and got an iPod, it is great. Anyway, we are looking forward to your new computer when you get it. Be careful with eBay though, you can get ripped off if you are not careful.<br><br>

Re: Lol!!!!! - 11/27/02 09:31 PM

I do have my ups and downs, as carp says. But I picked the name because of Catch-22. Yossarian's nickname is Yoyo. I put on the 52 cause, as Lori will tell you, that was one hell of a vintage year <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Going to Atlanta, to - 11/27/02 09:41 PM

look and compare!! A friend is going to drive down with me between now and Xmas and just look , it will be fun!! A used one was in my budget, but looking never hurt, after all you never know what santa might put under that tree!!! And I agree why did they drop the clamshell, gosh it is a great design. My honey was laughing at me about getting another computer! We each have a pc and I have my little G3 Graphite! He keeps telling me "you haven't been right since you got that mac" He and my dad both think, like you said',getting one off of e-bay is taking a chance, so hi ho, hi ho ,to Atlanta I go!! Its about 175 miles but like I said it will be fun! My first time in a apple store! Thanks Mike for the kind words about my dad!! He is a wonderful, funny, and just a plain nice guy!! I can say that cause hes my dad but its all true!! He has had the old cancer devil visit him but has responded well to treatments! All and all for 87 he is doing well! And like Shel said, if I do get a laptop I can just get a long telephone cord, and into the bedroom, no problem , yep thats the ticket!! <br><br>Lets dance!

Ah! - 11/27/02 09:46 PM

catch-22, got it! ! 46 was a pretty good year too! Lol!!<br><br>Lets dance!

Re: Going to Atlanta, to - 11/27/02 10:05 PM

Glad your Dad is responding well. It sounds like he is getting lots of TLC. Have fun at the store, what a trip!<br><br> Give Thanks!

Re: Going to Atlanta, to - 11/27/02 10:28 PM

Good for your dad!<br><br>And enjoy the trip to the Apple Store. I'll get to the new one in Philadelphia sometime before Christmas, I hope. Keep in mind that your hubby doesn't have a computer. He has a PeeCee .<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Going to Atlanta, to - 11/27/02 11:55 PM

I'm still waiting for a mac store to come to Pittsburgh! <br>Oh well i still have MacOutfitters. <br><br>

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/28/02 05:12 AM

The base iBook is only $999.00. It does not however have a CD-RW drive, only CD-ROM. But, you could always pick up a CD-RW later if initial cost is a problem, or perhaps you have no need for a CD-RW drive anyway. For what you would pay for a USED 466MHz clamshell iBook on eBay (say $700), for just $300 more you'd be getting a 700MHz model and it would be NEW. Something perhaps to think about. I'd buy online from a retailer where you don't have to pay sales tax for your state. Amazon woud probably be a good bet for that. <br><br>http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/We....3.1.1.0?102,75<br><br>

Re: yoyo started this!! - 11/28/02 01:45 PM

http://www.powermax.com seems to have some good deals on refurbished iBooks, the new design variety. 600MHz G3 iBook for $849. Might check them out too Bird. Plus a free printer and a carrying case.<br><br>http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate.cgi?i=PM_CR_IB<br><br>