Terri Schiavo died

Posted by: OSXaddict

Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 07:46 AM

Apparently she died either this morning or last night. Sad news but at least she's not in pain anymore.<br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 07:52 AM

But still the media circus goes on. Along with all the conspiracy theorists and loonies on both sides.<br><br>Sadly this happens all the time, but usually there's less conflict between the family members so we don't get the media whores feeding lies, supposition and agenda to the rest of us, who really don't have FACTs or any STANDING in the case.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 07:55 AM

...and Round 2 begins- the family wants her buried in FLA, the husband wants her buried in PA...<br><br>Apparently the husband also kicked the family out of the room 10 minutes before she passed. Didn't make himself look too good there, IMO...<br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 07:55 AM

She did not even have even brain function to experience pain.<br><br>The only pain that there was was in watching all of those crack-pot protesters. <br><br>I would be furious if I had a family member staying at that hospice.<br><br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 07:59 AM

Very true. There was no brain functioning whatsoever, I'm sorry to say. She died quite some time ago.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:01 AM

the husband also kicked the family out of the room 10 minutes before she passed<br><br>So you think they'll be an autopsy? Cause of death asphyxiation? <br><br>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:05 AM

There's already going to be an autopsy, fyi...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:09 AM

Based only on what I've heard, it sounds like the parents are real jerks. <br><br>If they sue the husband, I hope they lose everything and he comes out on top<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:19 AM

I agree. The worst he's said about them is that they're greedy. They've accused him of attempted murder. He could probably sue them for slander but I'm sure he wants to put this all behind him. Maybe he's not the most likable guy or not media-savvy enough to work on polishing his image, but he went back to school and changed professions just to be able to take care of her when he could have easily taken a lot of money and walked away. Did anyone in her family go to those lengths? Oh yeah, they're selling the e-mail addresses of all their supporters. That's a classy move.<br><br>Anyway, rest in peace Ms Schiavo.
Posted by: Michael

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:28 AM

Oh yeah, they're selling the e-mail addresses of all their supporters.<br><br>Schindler's list?<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:32 AM

I would hope that now the Schindlers will let this whole thing die its own natural death. I don't condone their theatrics, though, as a father, I can certainly empathise with them. But IMHO, something reeks about hubby. Despite the consistency of the courts' findings through this journey, I still don't buy his story. <br><br>On the one hand, you have desparate parents in denial who have abused the media. On the other, you have a real schmuck who I believe is hiding something.<br><br>Bleh. Make it all go away now... <br><br>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:40 AM

But don't you think, with today's bloodthirsty media, that if this guy had some dirt in his past it would have surfaced by now?<br><br>About the only off-kilter thing I've read about this whole mess is the fact that she had some broken bones when she was first brought into the hospital all those years ago. Apparently police dropped the ball and it was never investigated further, but the explanation very well could have been a physical fall caused by the heart attack.<br><br>I'm sure only Terry and her husband know the real truth...<br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:46 AM

Well it's not the first time he's ordered the parents from her room. With all the court cases that have been happening I would surmise that there is a lot of bad blood between Michael and the Schindler family. I think he's already said that he doesn't want to be in the same room as them.<br><br>But conspiracy theorists will paint whatever picture of either side they choose. Fact is we don't know if he did it out of malice or just wanted to be with her without their sniping. The Schindlers choose to believe that it's due to malice. And the rest of us have no PROOF of either opinion.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:49 AM

that's quite a bit of speculation from a guy who is so very removed from the intricacies of this case. the hounds have been out to make him the villain and they've played their cards well in the media. in fact, i saw a previous nurse of terri's on CNN being interviewed a few weeks ago. she made michael out to be the devil and there was no counter arguments presented. well, i found out yesterday that the parents never once tried to use her testimony in court (shame on CNN). it's easy to lie in the media to try and sway public opinion (and, it works), but not so easy to lie in court. the parents had opportunity after opportunity to use her, but never tried once. but, she makes for a great story and helps to vilify the husband. i just don't know enough.<br><br>in a related note:<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>A friend who phoned Michael Schiavo soon after news broke of his wife's death said he couldn't talk. "He (Michael) couldn't speak, he was crying," Russ Hyden said.<p><hr></blockquote><p>man, 15 years with no finality. must have hit him hard. <br><br>my opinion is that i don't think badly about the parents or the husband. i don't know enough beyond the fact that they all lost a loved one and the world tried to intervene. such a shame.<br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 08:50 AM

We're talking about media, and people's opinions and how they don't have the facts, yet you're talking about the husband like he's an angel. <br><br>Am I the only one who remembers that after receiving the insurance settlement ($1 million +) and promising to use the money to help her, he hasn't spent a dime for her and ran off with another woman and has kids with her – and refused to divorce his wife after all these years??? Cmon, tell me I'm not the only one who remembers that.<br><br>I'm not saying his parents are taking the high road either, but lets not make this guy out to be something he isn't.<br><br>The only facts that we all know is that this should have not happened, and it most certainly shouldn't have been happening for this long.<br><br>
Posted by: AfterTenSoftware

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 09:24 AM

All it means is that everyone needs to pay a visit to a lawyer so your explicit wishes are known.<br><br>I don't know about where you live but in Michigan a "living will" is not a binding document. It's almost meaningless. The courts can use it as a guide but are legally allowed to ignore it also.<br>In Michigan you need a health care power of attorney document and one more that I can't think of off the top of my head inorder to have your explict wishes followed.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 09:35 AM

Agreed. And there's already a LOT of supposition in this thread about both sides of the case. It's really pretty disgusting how some are so quick to choose a side based on some small "fact" they claim to know.<br><br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 09:47 AM

Of course, he's not an angel. But looking at the only "facts" we have available, he's done a lot more to look out for her interests than the parents, in my very humble opinion. He tried every sort of therapy possible for several years and only gave up when he realized that, not only had she not improved, she had gotten worse and that further therapy would make no difference. At that point, he wanted to honor her wishes and let her pass on into the next world instead of forcing her to endure whatever living hell she's been in for the past 10 years. Had he divorced her and allowed her parents to take over, her wishes would not have been honored. Doesn't sound like the actions of an abusive, uncaring husband. <br><br>And it's awfully easy to criticise someone for going on with their life and building a new family when we haven't been put to the same test. Many widows and widowers who have had a spouse die from a terminal disease remarry very soon after the death because, for them, the've already mourned the loss and are ready to move on much more quickly than someone's whose spouse dies unexpectedly. I suspect this is the same situation.<br><br>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 09:48 AM

If what I read about the $1mil payout is true, then the lawyers took about $650K, the hospice at that time got some, and Michael got about $125....there's also claim that the parents demanded half of the payout, and it got "nasty" at that point.<br><br>Yet you assume that it is completely outside the realm of possibility that Michael wanted her to live, he wanted her back and that he sought the insurance payout to help him in that cause. That maybe the doctors came to him and sat him down and said "Hey look Mike, it's been 5 years now, she's not improved and in our opinion we don't believe she ever will"....To which he replied "Well if that's the case, she did tell me that she didn't want to be kept alive in this situation".<br><br>That as any person going through such a traumatic experience, that he didn't look to a close friend for support, and that relationship grew into more than just friendship (I know I've seen friends going through hardship become romantically involved with someone who is providing close emotional support).<br><br>Obviously all the above is supposition, but none of us has any inside knowledge of what went on and when. Who did what to whom, and under what circumstances. Yet people state as fact that Micheal is evil, and the other side is stating as fact that the Schindlers are money grabbing. I don't know - but I do get sick of all the suppositions, that cannot be proved imperically.<br><br>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 09:53 AM

I think I heard studies somewhere/somewhen that widows/widowers do seek out remarriage very quickly. The reason supposed by the study was that they have ripped an important part of their life away from them, and they seek a replacement so that they may be whole again.<br><br>I can see where a partner dies, the memories tend to revolve around the happy times and they want to remake that in their lives.....whereas divorce tends not to concentrate on the happiness.<br><br>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 09:55 AM

The point is he's human, and I think at some point we'd all lose hope and move on in some way. It's just a sad situation in general, and everyone comes out of it looking bad, no matter what they do.<br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 11:57 AM

First Johnnie Cochran now Terri Schiavo... who's next?<br><br>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 12:08 PM

the pope?<br><br>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 12:11 PM

Yeah... it seems he's heading that way...<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 12:29 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Yet you assume that it is completely outside the realm of possibility… <p><hr></blockquote><p>Woah, hold the phone here. I NEVER said that, and I assume absolutely NOTHING about this case, other than it is an absolute tragedy. My point was simply that the finger was being pointed at the parents, when in reality, both parties acted selfishly and in their own interests, rather than Terri's.<br><br>I can see both points of view here, as someone who had to make a similar decision just a short while ago with my sister. On one hand, you hold out hope that a miracle will happen. But reality must set in at some point, and the right thing must be done. For me and my family, the decision was simple because my sister was already brain-dead by the time we arrived at the hospital, so when we gave the ok to take her off life-support (which was really only keeping blood flowing throughout her body so she could be an organ donor) the only thing we were doing was allowing the doctor to declare her LEGALLY deceased. <br><br>In Terri Schiavo's case, the situation was a little different, but the reality of it was the same... she was gone, and she was never coming back.<br><br>

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 01:09 PM

Sorry about that, your post gave the impression that you were firmly in the media soap opera that Michael was evil incarnate - what scum would take $1mil for Terri's care and run off with a floozy.....and have kids with her too!!<br><br>There's two camps who are either painting the parents as money grabbing gold hunters (michael's supporters) or michael gave up his rights as a husband when he sent up a common law marriage arrangement (schindler supporters). Both sides are probably way off the mark, but the supporters are so fervid in their beliefs that it's just not funny.<br><br>Truth is a 3 edged sword.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 01:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>13 of the 22 federal judges who've had a hand in the Schiavo case were appointed by Republican presidents. Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas and five other Republican appointees on the Supreme Court declined to involve themselves in the case. A majority of the Republicans on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit repeatedly denied appeals by Terri Schiavo's parents, and a conservative Republican judge appointed by George H.W. Bush argued -- eloquently and persuasively -- that Congress and the president trampled on the Constitution when they adopted emergency legislation in an attempt to force the courts to "save" Schiavo.<p><hr></blockquote><p>salon.com (gotta run or i'd link it)<br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 02:24 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I would be furious if I had a family member staying at that hospice.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Bingo. There are something like 70 other dying patients at that hospice...and all those damn protesters and publicity whores (Jesse Jackson, Randall Terry, George Felos, Patrick Mahoney) robbed those people of their last spring on this Earth. <br><br>Shame on them all. <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Terri Schiavo died - 03/31/05 06:34 PM

Speculation? Really — ya think? <br><br>For those of us "so very far removed", there is only speculation to go on. For every 10-second sound byte the public hears, there are reams of court records and hours of testimony that only those directly involved are aware of. Of course I'm speculating. That's what IMHO means. But speculation or not, my gut tells me there's something out of whack in this story, and I still think Schiavo is a controlling schmuck who wants it all his way. And looky here — he's getting just that! <br><br>