Game review - Brothers in Arms

Posted by: skuldugary

Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/25/05 02:50 PM

I rented Brothers in Arms last night. There's a lot of swearing, hard swearing. I can't play it around the kids. <br>I might just be on the Xbox, but the load time between games is a pain in the butt. Before the start of each mission, there's a brief monolog. Some may think it's cool, but to me it's just one more thing between me and playing the game. There's no way to bypass it either. <br><br>There are some things I like and some I don't, and some just funny. <br>If you watch people move, some times you'll notice they look like they're skating on ice. They'll be sliding as they walk. At one point the guy wasn't even walking but he was moving across the field. <br><br>What I didn't like was the very harsh swearing. They make free use of the F word. I know they talked that way but if they wanted realism, they could have canned the swearing and given me gore. <br>The game is a bit more restrictive than COD. Where you can and can't go is pretty much anchored. There are some on screen symbols that float over the enemy heads that, while are informative, take away from the feel that you're in combat and act as a reminder you're playing a video game. <br><br>That being said, overall this is a fun game. Aiming down the sight of a rifle you'll soon realize that it's not easy after you've been running. Keeping a target in your sights is hard because there is a lot of wobble you have to adjust for. <br>When shots land near you, the bullets kick up dirt and grass. Bits of dirt will splatter on the screen in true documentary fashion. If you're hit, you'll be alarmed when it's your blood that begins to splatter on the screen. <br>There are four levels of play, easy, medium, advanced, and... are you ready for this? Authentic. That last option is greyed out, I'm guessing until you finish the game on a certain level. <br>Another feature that I'm coming to really like is the top-down map. It lets you see the surrounding terrain, your and your men's position, and any enemies that you have a visual on. It helps because of the next feature you have. <br>Not only do you have other soldiers in your squad, but you can order them where to go and to give suppressive fire or charge a position. You'll find that suppressive fire is a major and often used tool for this game. Keeping the enemy pinned down will greatly enhance your ability to flank and move. But don't think you'll be able to just run up to these guys and knock them down. So far, the AI is showing that these guys don't want to get shot any more than you do. They'll take cover, and move around so you'll never know where they're going to pop out. They'll run away, you think, but actually try to flank you, if they can. They also have a nasty habit of hiding to ambush you. While a couple of Germans shoot at you, there will be one waiting for you to move into position so he can get you in cross fire. <br>I haven't decided about the weapons yet. The first thing that got my attention was that you CAN load an M1 before the clip empties. That's right. <br><br>The sounds of the guns are distinct and real. Don't expect to be aiming down the sight and pop off a couple of shots and hit anything with the second round. After the first shot, you'll have to require your target because of the kick. <br>Another thing I found different from COD was that I pegged a guy three times from my M1 and nothing happened. It was almost point blank. Other times I nail someone and they go down with one shot. Oh before I forget, a nice touch of realisim is how they drop when they're hit. If they're in a full run and are killed, they'll tumble forward. Time was spent modeling movement of dying in motion. <br>So far I've used the M1, Colt 45, Kar98, MP40, Thompson, 30. cal, and MG42. The last two never overheat or have to be reloaded. <br>Another thing I like is that , just like us not being able to see everything, the Germans don't always see us. I was walking quietly through a house and came across a room of 5 Germans eating. They hadn't heard or seen me. I rolled a grenade in there and lunch was over. They can suffer from confusion just like us. I was looking over a wall and this German ran across the field I was checking out, and before I could shoot him, he ran right by me. He never saw me until he passed the wall. I thought it was pretty funny until it turned out he was a better shot than me. <br><br>Can't wait to get home and play this some more. If there's anything about this game that brings it down is the enormous wait time between missions while it's loading and boring you with over dramatic narrations, Saving Private Rayan style.<br><br>
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/25/05 03:05 PM

Nice review.<br><br>I think I'd enjoy games a whole lot more if I had a console. I can't stand playing while I'm sitting at my desk in a really crappy chair.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/25/05 03:06 PM

today i just played for the first time over the network a nacis vs allies game on my Mac. it's fun to be able to play against humans instead of ai. the speed of the graphics was amazingly fast. and the gameplay is amusing too. you know killing people, blowing up stuff before they kill you. pure fun. wink download wolfenstein for free.<br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/25/05 03:11 PM

There are pros and cons to both. A Mac game will give you better control because you have an entire keyboard to use, but a console makes use of your home theater. <br><br>And, I won't be able to play until my daughter gets to watch her PowerPuff Girls movie.<br>Nah, I tried playing the movie on my Mac, but the DVD is so badly scratched that the movie would freeze. The Mac seems to be more touchy than my DVD deck.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/25/05 04:54 PM

Enemy Territory- great game- just loaded it up again on my PC....<br><br>Ivan-what's your screen name?<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/25/05 06:24 PM

Hey great review.<br><br>F-words ??<br>I don't think the F-word was around during the 40s ?? I could be wrong<br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/25/05 06:59 PM

Ever see HBO's Deadwood? hehe<br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/25/05 07:42 PM

Nope<br><br>What is it ??<br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/25/05 10:25 PM

It's a mini series about the old west and it seems that people were unable to say three words without two of them being f*@k. <br><br>Anyway, yes, they have the F-word in WW2. <br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/26/05 08:18 AM

yeah, I downloaded ET several days ago and I've been up to 2 am every night since ...my screen name is zwei OSX ...and from what I can deduce ...I suck <br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/26/05 10:36 AM

Pete, my screen name is iraszl, but i don't really know how would you find me...<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/26/05 11:17 AM

I love playing on line. I've done it for years. I sit back in my recliner with my Powerbook and use the mouse the arm of the chair. It's perfect. I use the left mouse button for moving forward and the right mouse button for moving backward. Clicking the scroll wheel fires the weapon. I use to play Return of the Jedi on line. Using dark forces was fun. Grab someone from a distance by the neck and drop them off a cliff .<br> But, unfortunately almost all on line gaming is full of cheats and hacks. Anything from a hack that just removes fog and recoil to an automatic aimbot that automatically points to any enemy and locks on. <br><br>Here is what you would see in Medal Of Honor in normal play.<br><br><br>And Here is what I see if I use my wall hack <br><br>With it I can even shoot through blacked out windows, but hacks ruin otherwise good games.<br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/29/05 08:15 AM

UPDATE<br><br>So far I've been playing the game without any cheats on Advanced.<br><br>Those of you who are fans of Call of Duty, as I am, will find that this game brings combat to a whole new level. The enemy in this game wants to kill you, and they will do everything they can to do it.<br><br>I have had them lay in wait and draw me in to ambushes. In one mission, I thought I had done a perfect flanking move and was about to wipe out a machine gun nest. The next thing I know, my men are dropping like flys. It wasn't the squad of Germans that came over the fence to my left and were advancing on me. No, it was the tank that came out behind the brush to my right. I had just enough time to utter a "Holy..s" BOOM. end of mission<br><br>Forget heroics. Forget charging a stupid enemy. If the AI sees you trying to flank or close on it's position, it will focus on the greatest threat and you will find yourself pinned down and pices of you shot away.<br><br>This is a very good game. It's a very challenging game. It will draw you in, in surprising ways. I had been careful to keep my men alive through several missions. I was pinned down in ugly crossfire and saw one of my guys come out of cover to shot. He never got one shot off and was blown away. The guy next to me was telling me something when a bullet came through our cover and he slumped over and dropped. <br><br>I felt desperation and panic. I ordered the rest of my men to retreat and half were cut down before they made cover, but our mission was to go the other way. Had I done that, I would have lost all of them. <br><br>This is only a game, but if you allow yourself to get into it, it becomes a serious game you get wrapped up in. <br><br>I still have a few missions left, but I want to unlock the hardest level setting to see what that's like. <br><br>I'm playing this on my Xbox and it might be differrent from a Mac, but the load time is a pain. When you die, you'll be comping at the bit to get back in to the fight, but you'll have to sit there while the red line creeps across the screen.<br><br>That's the only drawback I can give you. This gives Call of Duty a run for the money. In many ways, I think this is a better game. <br><br>If you don't have it, and you're a first shooter/combat buff, get this game today.<br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/29/05 08:22 AM

So how advanced are the squad tactics in this thing? I'm not so much a fan of the Ghost Recon-type of gameplay, so I was holding off a bit.<br><br>But it sounds like you're having a lot of fun with it- and it can't be easy trying to aim and shoot with that Xbox controller. Should be that much easier with a mouse and keyboard...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/29/05 08:40 AM

You don't have a lot of control over your squad. You can tell them to take cover, move to a position, assemble on you, provide supressive fire, and charge a position.<br><br>The game tells you, your men are trained soldiers and know how to handle themselves in combat, so taking cover and finding a good position to shoot from is left to them. The AI is pretty good. They don't stand around like nothings happening like COD. <br><br>In Call of Duty, I've walked in to rooms where three of my men are just standing around and there's a German right next to them, clear as day, and everybody seems just fine with that. I gues I must be the third wheel, because when I walk in, the German shoots at me, but ignores everyone else.<br><br>One other thing I'll add. As you might guess, shooting or being shot at with a small machine gun like the Thompson or MP40 are not very accurate, but don't bet your life on it. I was way, WAY, far from this one German. I had a sniper rifle and this guy had been shooting at me for a minute but nothing was coming near me. So I stood up on a small rise to plink him off. Just as I lined him up in my sights, bang, I'm hit. The guy got off a lucky shot or switched to single shot mode to take better aim at me, but he got me. I actually see my own feet fly up as I'm knocked back and that was the end of me. <br><br>Being a long time Halo guy, the Xbox controller is second nature to me. <br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/29/05 07:16 PM

Thanks for another good review<br><br>After being disappointed in Rainbow Six first release I stayed away from those kinds of games on my Mac. Not even sure if I would buy this game.<br><br>Anyway good review.<br><br>btw;<br>Sony lost its law suit and was ordered to stop selling PS2 in the US - Sony appealed and if they lose that - Xbox and that other box might be the only games in town.<br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/29/05 09:11 PM

No kidding? Wow, that's major. I better buy shares in Nintendo<br><br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/29/05 09:20 PM

Sony lost its law suit and was ordered to stop selling PS2 in the US<br><br>That's absurd.<br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/29/05 09:51 PM

Yep Sony lost - wished I save the link.<br>Basically it was a Patent infringement case. <br><br>A Cali company files the suit and a Cali judge ordered Sony to pay 90 million ? and stop selling PS2 Stations in the US, until Sony settles the suit. Sony of-course filed an appeal.<br><br>Sorta fair. If that was a Japan court the Cali company attorneys would have never made it to Japan to state their case. <br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/30/05 07:06 AM

link-o<br><br>Somehow I don't think this will hold up....we're talking about the best-selling console in the world here, people...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/30/05 07:40 AM

<br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/30/05 08:19 AM

Hahaha excellent.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/31/05 11:27 AM

Picked up the PC version yesterday, haven't gotten a chance to play it yet...<br><br>Skul- have you tried the MP component yet? Just wondering what to expect...I'm reading on one site that you basically control a squad of computer players, then if you die you automatically get transferred to another member of the squad..<br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Game review - Brothers in Arms - 03/31/05 03:46 PM

Sorry Pete. I don't have Xbox live so I haven't used multiplayer. I finally finished the game on Advanced. <br><br>It's official. IMHO this game beats Call of Duty. Not by much, but it does. At times the AI is really aggressive,<br><br>