Speaking of resumés, etc...

Posted by: Pete

Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 07:03 AM

Any advice on a killer cover letter? This seems to be my biggest hang-up...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 07:45 AM

Simple and to the point:<br><br>Dear blah blah:<br><br>I'm interested in your position of blah blah. I am search for a position that allows me to do blah blah and this seems to be a perfect match.<br><br>In the past I have done blah blah blah, and have learned blah blah in blah blah and feel this would be a benefit to company_name as well as myself.<br><br>I am available for an interview at your earliest convenience. Please do not hesitate to contact me for an interview or to answer any questions you may have.<br><br>Thank you for your time,<br>Pete.<br><br><br>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 07:46 AM

No hooks, no gimmicks? I've read different things that tell you to rope people in with some sort of line or gag...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 08:45 AM

As a default, I wouldn't resort to hooks or gags. But I don't know who you are applying to. For example, if you were an animator applying to Pixar, then I'd say, heck yeah, make a funny animation.<br><br>Unless you know the people hiring would appreciate such things, then I wouldn't. To me, it's like if you met someone in a formal situation and you say to them "Hey, can I call you Steve!" instead of calling them Mr. Smith (or whatever their name is).<br><br>But hey, that's just my opinion.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: djstefan

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 09:03 AM

Type the following in google:<br><br>good resume cover letter<br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...
Posted by: steveg

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 09:07 AM

Don't go with a one-zize-fits-all letter. You can have a core that's factually consistent (kinda like a radio donut), but the shell of the letter — especially the opening — should be relevant to the position, situation, location, or other prominent feature within the ad you're responding to. It can be witty, but should also be credible and professional. And if it's a cold-call resume, make a case for why you're contacting them out of the blue.<br><br>I've begun putting out some feelers back in NYC (ya never know...), and the title/subject line is usually "Creative Director Seeks Northern Exposure". No bankable results yet, but so far, the response rate is about 30% — which in Direct Mail terms is pretty darn good, considering 2% is a good response.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 11:17 AM

Don't misspell résumé (resumé). It matters. Either include the acute accent over both es or leave them out entirely.<br><br>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 11:35 AM

<br><br>Looks like mine's acceptable...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 01:11 PM

Pffft. That means NOTHING. Dictionary dot com is hardly a reliable source. Sorry. It doesn't even give the etymology of the word. <br>Miriam Webster Online also gives those variations but they at least include the origin, and the main entry is the same as the Oxford's. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary gives only one spelling, resume, with no accents.<br>The Oxford dictionary gives only ONE spelling for it, résumé. The Oxford, if you don't know, is generally regarded as the difinitive orthographical source for the english language outside of the US.<br>If you want to be an American, leave the accents off since there are none in American english, otherwise look like a Dictionary.com-using bumpkin on your really important curriculum vitae.<br><br>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 01:32 PM

Well, the first job I get turned down for due to my 'bumpkin'-ish spelling, I'll let ya know....<br><br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 01:35 PM

Oh fercrisake, just call it your RE-ZOOM-AYE, and let 'em figure it out. And make up your mind what you wanna post, Mr. Editmiester! <br><br>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 01:37 PM

Heh. Normally I just say, "In the attached document"....<br><br>Or is it 'attaché'...? <br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 01:44 PM

LOL that'll work epecially when applying to Krazy Karl's Karz =D<br><br>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 01:49 PM

Or to Mazda...<br><br><br><br><br>reZOOM ZOOM ZOOMay.<br><br>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 01:49 PM

How do you know you haven't been already? Chances are they wouldn't even call you back.<br><br>Anyway, my apologies Pete, I didn't mean to call you a bumpkin. I'm just a stickler for stuff like that on a resume since I do a lot of hiring and I see a lot of crap. The spelling of resume is really one of the most insignificant mistakes.<br><br>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 01:51 PM

I just don't understand it, really- why place the same type of accent on two of the same letter that are pronounced differently?<br><br>I might be in trouble if I was some sort of proofreader or editor, but I would hope art & creative directors are only looking at the pretty pictures I sent them...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 02:14 PM

They aren't pronounced differently outside of the US. Ray-zoom-ay would be the English/French pronunciation, which is why the acute/aigu accents are included. The American is closer to rez-ume-ay. <br>It is a little confusing because of the french origin. Even spanish names such as San José officially have the accent but in practice usually don't. Generally, here we have to know the context of the word to know how the final e is pronounced.<br><br>So, I decided to resume handing over my resume after taking an annoying phone call from Steve about buying his Mazda.<br><br>I for one favour résumé everywhere but in the States, where i just dump the accents all together since so many people have no idea how to pronounce é.<br><br><br>

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 02:32 PM

Oh sure... easy for you to sé. <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Speaking of resumés, etc... - 03/21/05 06:44 PM

Pete<br><br>hayesk has a good point - short and sweet and to the Point.<br>If you get to wordy your resume will find its way to the trash in a few minutes <-- really thats all the time you got only a few minutes.<br><br>All the interviewer wants to know is "What" are you going to do for the company <-- thats it. Certainly do not get to wordy on how your gonna do "what" thats dangerous.<br><br><br>