Posted by: Bryan

Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 12:44 AM

Ugh.....<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 04:44 AM

Time to invest in your own universal remote for travelling.<br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 04:56 AM

Most work week's I am spending a night or two in a hotel. And I am pretty fussy when it comes to a room's cleanliness. I have no qualms in asking to change rooms if I find something unacceptable. <br><br>I also travel with a can of Lysol and spray liberally. Just gotta make sure to bathe the remote in Lysol from now on. <br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 04:57 AM

Some may find this odd. But I bring my pillow from home with me when I travel.<br><br>
Posted by: Walrus

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 05:15 AM

If the TV remote gives you the creeps, just think about the doorknobs in a public toilet.<br><br>The bottom line is germs are everywhere. Most of the time, given an intact immune system, we can peacefully coexist without doing harm. In fact we couldn't exist if our gut wasn't full of coliform bacteria. Every square centimeter of our skin is home to millions of bacteria, no matter how often we bathe, or in what.<br><br>And I won't go into any detail about the cute little arthropods that we all harbor in our eyelash follicles.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 06:26 AM

Meh, germs are everywhere.<br><br>I'm amazed at what people go through for an artificial sense of sterility. People bring their own toilet paper to work, parents pull their kids out of day care when another kid gets sick. Hello? Do you not want your kids to have a developed immune system?<br><br>Human beings have immune systems. Let's allow them to do their job.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 06:29 AM

Public picnic tables and kitchen sinks are the worse.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 06:49 AM

"Some may find this odd. But I bring my pillow from home with me when I travel."<br><br>I don't find it odd- I wish I'd remember to do that! Not so much for germ reasons, but because those tiny, flat, no-stuffing, awful pillows in hotels really don't let you get a good night's sleep. I always wind up using all the extra pillows in the closets as well.<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 10:12 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And I won't go into any detail about the cute little arthropods that we all harbor in our eyelash follicles.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>Nor will I mention what critters reside in the oral cavity. Anyone ever been kissed?<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 10:26 AM

There's a difference between diseases to which we can develop an immunity, such as mumps or chicken pox, and rapidly evolving viruses to which there is little or no defence, such as the common cold or flu. Pulling your kid out of a virus infested day-care center isn't going to do anything to their immune system, good or bad, but it will help prevent them from developing a potentially much more serious malady.<br><br>In some offices such as mine workers are encouraged to stay home from work the first two or three days of s cold to help stem its spread through the whole building. That's no different than a parent not putting their child in day-care for a few days for the same reason.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 11:07 AM

I won't hesitate to ask either. Even high quality hotels can be scummy sometimes (though not often). They're in the business of safety and cleanliness so I hold them to it!<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Put down that remote! - 03/21/05 11:33 AM

Mine workers are encouraged because of the low air circulation. They don't want one employee making the whole crew sick because it'll affect productivity.<br><br>Though I agree that there are rapidly evolving viruses, but it's good to have a healthy immune system nonetheless. I'm not a doctor, but I believe that living in a proverbial bubble will hinder development of a strong immune system so you'll be less prepared if you do come across that serious malady one day, whether or not you have already developed an immunity to that particular disease.<br><br>