Outing Mac Sites That Use Spyware

Posted by: alAnonymous

Outing Mac Sites That Use Spyware - 03/17/05 01:41 PM

I received notice from our network admins that my computer here at the office (a PC), was infected with spyware. I installed Spybot and cleaned it, configured some blockers and what do you know?<br><br>"Page 2" on Macrumors.com uses something called "Avenue A".<br><br>Let the outings begin!!! <br><br>--------------------<br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Outing Mac Sites That Use Spyware - 03/17/05 01:49 PM

Hmm quick Google search makes me think it's in a banner ad- 'Avenue A' is a marketing firm. Couple other posts in forums complaining about it as well..<br><br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Outing Mac Sites That Use Spyware - 03/17/05 06:53 PM

Yeah, after Macrumors I went to MSNBC and received the Avenue A alert there too. I work for the Government and I'm being forced to reformat my drive because spyware (regardless of type) was found. With all the dev apps/configs on my workstation, there goes a whole day of productivity.<br><br>--------------------<br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Outing Mac Sites That Use Spyware - 03/17/05 07:25 PM

You have to do this every time any type of spyware is found?<br><br>Yeesh, talk about lack of productivity...<br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Outing Mac Sites That Use Spyware - 03/17/05 07:43 PM

My sister's PC had a nasty case of spyware. Spybot couldn't even get rid of one particular trojan. I did some research and found what was the most likely culprit, but when you tried to download the program that could get rid of it the trojan rerouted you every time so you couldn't down load it. I had to down load it on my Mac, burn it to CD to copy it to her PC. <br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Outing Mac Sites That Use Spyware - 03/17/05 08:10 PM

Maybe they shold get you a Mac.<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Outing Mac Sites That Use Spyware - 03/17/05 11:15 PM

That's funny because I had to do the exact same thing to a friend's PC. Of coarse he was blown away that I could download it on a Mac, burn a PC readable CD and save his machine. Must've been the same trojan or a facsimile thereof. He's planning on a PowerBook next month because he's so fed up with it. He's a musician so I told him it is only natural he switches to Macs. Every CD they've ever produced was made on Macs running ProTools anyway.<br><br>Our IT guy usually has to use a Linux disc to resurrect some of the office PCs. I thought you could use a boot disc in XP like OS X (or OS 9).<br><br>

Re: Outing Mac Sites That Use Spyware - 03/19/05 05:52 AM

RE: every time?<br><br>They just started this policy. I received an email, from our network people, telling me I had spyware on my machine. The work order came down saying that it had to be reformatted.<br><br>Part of the problem is what they consider spyware. If it's just these doubleclick or avenue "a" ads on websites, then it will just keep happening again and again.<br><br>--------------------<br>