I LOVE APPLESCRIPT!!

Posted by: zwei

I LOVE APPLESCRIPT!! - 03/17/05 12:08 PM

Added a cool AppleScript to my arsenal today. If you have been to the AppleScript page on apple's site you may have noticed certain links that open script editor and create the script for you. Very cool, but what's even cooler is they have the script to create the html links right there on their site (which I had not known until today). You just copy the script you want to make into a link to your clipboard and run the script. It puts the new encoded text back onto the clipboard where you can paste it into your HTML document. <br><br>The friggin cool part of this whole thing is that I have a large library of script snippits that I use to copy/paste common commands from. With this tool I can now take all those snippits and embed them into one HTML file. Then I can just click a link to add any code I want. Not to mention I'll only have to worry about one file from now on. <br><br>Damn, I'm one happy man right now! <br><br>I would have posted an example, but apparently these forums aren't cool enough to handle these type of links (although MC's forums are!?) For the example you can go to the link above and click the link towards the bottom of the page.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: I LOVE APPLESCRIPT!! - 03/17/05 12:52 PM

Since the applescript:// handler can't run scripts, I'm happy. Could you imagine an URL that points you to a script that says:<br><br>tell application Finder<br>move folder "/Home/Users/" & current_user to trash<br>empty trash<br>end tell<br><br>That would suck. <br><br>Thanks for the link.<br><br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: I LOVE APPLESCRIPT!! - 03/17/05 01:02 PM

Yeah, but a link that opens that script in script editor is still pretty scary for people who don't know anything about applescript. All they have to do is hit the play button <br><br>The good thing is that AppleScript is so close to english that you can pretty much read a script like that and realize you DON'T want to run it. <br><br>I just can't wait to get my script library built. Kinda cool that you can just put it up on the web and have it accessible from any computer from then on.<br><br>