Ghost town

Posted by: skuldugary

Ghost town - 03/15/05 07:36 AM

As I stand in dusty lane that used to be MacMinute Main street, I can't help but wonder what's happened to the thriving community that once was an inviting place that felt like family.<br><br>From time to time you'll hear a ghost of the past rattle or moan, but like the creeking shutter pushed back and forth by the wind, it's only a reminder of what once was.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 07:48 AM

I think it's familiarity with a topic subject (especially on political forum)......<br><br>Alfie - is a rabid frothing liberal, who is going to slam Mr Bush at every opportunity, and bows at the altar of governmental Robin Hoodism<br><br>Bob - is a rabid frothing conservative, who cannot see Mr Bush's faults through his rose tinted spectacles, and believes in the american spirit that everyone can do what they want, they just have to reach for it.<br><br>Charlie - hates all religion and thinks Christians are evil embodied.<br><br>Dave - is an evangelical who believes everyone will burn in hell.....except him.<br><br>Evan - will hijack a thread to his own purposes, until everyone gets confused and stops reading it.<br><br>Freddie - has just got hold of something recently docked from Columbia and nobody has any idea what his posts mean.<br><br>George - Is bored at work and will post an opposing viewpoint just to continue the discussion.<br><br>Harry - believes there is only one truth and only he knows it, in spite of historical documents and eye witnesses to an event he believes didn't happen.<br><br>Ian - has a high IQ, believes everyone else is too dumb to have a valid opinion.<br><br>Thing is once you figure everyone's stance, you know the reactions you will get from each person, and the discussions get stale. Very few will open their minds to the opposing viewpoint to gain an understanding of why people might think this way - they just decend into a I'm right, therefore you're stupid stance.<br><br>It's evolution of a forum. Until you get to:<br>Jake - who wonders where the heck everyone just went.<br><br>=)<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 08:09 AM

<EMBED SRC="http://idisk.mac.com/mikeleboeuf/Public/ynapdyn.mov", WIDTH=220, HEIGHT=190 CONTROLLER=TRUE AUTOPLAY=FALSE><br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 08:16 AM

Jeesh, you nailed me on most of those descriptions!!<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 08:51 AM

Perhaps I'm bored with this? Nowadays nothing much interests me here...stale conversation with the occasional good one thrown in. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 08:53 AM

Kinda resembles this. Took it yesterday morning.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 09:08 AM

So... MM is for the birds?<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 09:12 AM

No...ghost town, hardly anyone is here.<br><br>I think sometimes the mean-spiritedness drove some away (like YoYo)<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 09:14 AM

Not everything can be a 'Wow, look at what cool new stuff I got'.<br><br>When we had regulars like Lori and ... oh shoot, I forgot her name, you know, the cutie with the cart and everyone kept asking her where the bathroom was.<br>But there were a lot more people here who kind of made this their interactive blog, and we all shared.<br><br>Now it's really flat with a decent post ever other week. <br><br>Heck, I remember when posting about how the forum was dying would bring lots of people rushing to post how they felt the place had a lot of life in it. But look at this, 4 posts in 2 hours....<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 09:22 AM

Face it- nothing much new going on in the Mac world, nothing new going on with the site (see: forum software), and no way to reel people in besides word of mouth and mystical links from other sites...<br><br>But don't think this is the only place this is happening- MCF's only 2 shades above a ghost town as well...<br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 09:42 AM

I go through times when I feel guilty for posting. I post more on slow work days than I do at home. When at home I feel I should be out doing something other than sitting and posting. Exercise for instance...I used to jog and or walk 5 files a day. I'm lucky to get get in 2 miles a week now, if that. When I catch myself wanting to sit and post I generally go play Basketball, Football, Baseball, PS2 or Xbox with my 9 year old son. We sometimes go to the the creek and explore or hunt for fossils. I've been spending more time playing tea party or house with my 3 year old daughter. My 19 year old son is working or going to JC so I usually see him in passing. Sometimes I actually get to see my wife while passing her in the hall. I also have a 77 year old Mom that moved in 3 years ago and she is requiring more and more attention. Our lives have been much busier the last two years. I spend waaaaay too much time on computers doing work. I have a fulltime job but I also have several freelance clients that always need something. To top it all off I am renovating the house every other weekend and hoping to start working on my '69 Mustang project again at some point. That's my excuse.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 09:54 AM

This is an excellent forum ...if sarcasm is all you are looking for. I pretty much use this forum as a means to find weird things on the net. iRock does a good job at bringing oddities to the table, along with most of the regulars here. If you are looking for Mac talk, probably better to look elsewhere. Technology/Mac posts pretty much get the shaft over here. <br><br>I'm not badmouthing the MM regulars, just explaining why I'm not very active here. Can't expect everyone to have similar interests. <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 09:59 AM

I agree somewhat with this...if we only talked about Macs. But we don't. Well, that's what the Lounge is for...talking about anything.<br><br>I'm sure once Tiger is released (hopefully next month) things will heat up hopefully.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 10:01 AM

Now that's how I feel sometimes and I should feel it. I do feel guilty for spending way too much time on here reading stuff that's not that important. I try to catch up at work so that I don't spend that time at home. Instead I would rather be:<br>playing with Dusty<br>spending time with Amy<br>taking photographs<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 10:03 AM

You bring up another good point. Seems there isn't any "real" conversation going on here anymore. There are some but not nearly what there used to be.<br><br><br>I guess the outdoors is warming up and people are wanting to get out of the house? I know that once it gets to (and stays!) 55 and above degrees, I'm going to be even less of a presence on here.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 10:20 AM

Lislaz<br>Sooshie<br>Lori<br>Lesh<br>DaddyMac<br>gshocked<br>Trey<br>garyW<br>PointBreak<br>YoYo52<br>Swatcat<br>And the list goes on. People shared photos of vacations. People would visit each other while in town. We'd tell storys, be bored, do laundry and it was fun to read and talk to each other.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 10:22 AM

DaddyMac<br><br>You're kidding, right?<br><br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 10:25 AM

It's Pete's fault DaddyMac left. Something he said I think. <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 10:33 AM

Damn straight- that guy was a doofus anyway- who needs him.<br><br><br><br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 10:54 AM

What movie is that from?<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 10:59 AM

I'm not saying everyone got along all the time, but even those who didn't, didn't make a big deal out of it.<br><br>Many people liked DaddyMac. Everyone has their opinions, but he's just one of many we don't see any more. <br>There was less nastyness back then.<br><br>To me, the death blow was the delay in creating the politcal forum. The fighting got way out of hand and there were body parts all over the lounge. But that's how I see it.<br><br>For what ever reason, MM has pretty much had it. It's that old pair of pants that you keep in the closet but don't wear any more and can't bring yourself to throw away. <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 11:06 AM

That DaddyMac was the biggest pain in the ass! I say GOOD RIDDANCE to bad rubbish! <br><br>Same with that JohnR guy..man what a jerk!<br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 11:09 AM

Um... *ahem* am I that boring?<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 11:12 AM

Well, I think I heard that DaddyMac was having gender issues, and he/she/whatever finally got the final operation he/she/it had been waiting for... now that a donor was found. Wherever you are, Daddy/Mommy/It-Mac, keep hope alive!! [sniff]<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 11:26 AM

Huh? Boring? No, that's not what I meant. In looking back at the past couple of years, you were much more active than you are now.<br><br>Sorry for the misunderstanding.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 11:28 AM

Here's hoping that 'sKrue' returns from the bestiality clinic sometime soon as well....<br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 11:29 AM

But this is exacly the kind of attitude that has pushed out or run off many people that were a part of this forum. <br><br>It wasn't always like this. People didn't get along, but nobody beat up on anyone.<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 11:37 AM

Don't hold your breath.<br><br>
Posted by: Non_PC

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 11:51 AM

Hey guys! So what's been happening since I left? <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 11:58 AM

<br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 12:38 PM

Well John I see a beautiful tranquil place where folks would like to visit... not a ghost town [nice picture Kiddo]..we all see life and folks differently..and treat them differently..ah part of being human...Canadian Geese resting before they take off and try to make it home. Without being shot out of the sky. There were some interesting and great people that visited here..but not everyone if you want to be honest were treated as well as others...and some folks will fight back but some were turned on everytime they entered here.., odd man out type warfare..sooner or later ..well they don't return...some of the folks I miss...TheGreat Divide...who always in my opinion received mostly snide comments..course My opinion..Cherry, Celandine, Eckhard [tried to post but was told to leave in so many not welcoming words]...Shooshie who is both welcomed with some but gets so much animosity from others...TreeBeard ..who always was a gentle soul until like a few others when riled , well then..you get tit for tat..those are a few of the folks who tried to fly in to visit here and would fight back when attacked...also my opinion..then we had the quiter gentler folk who tried to ignore the battles of the "who gets the last word" ...walzuhair, greenme, lori, Lislaz, my buddy YoYo there are many others for sure..we can't be friends with everyone but of course this is just the way I saw it and others will see it as "What the "F" is she talking about..we welcome everyone.. Of course hopefully they will return..and we could start the game again..maybe in a different way.....perhaps we can start over ..it would be nice ..I enjoy a good old down in the dirt rumble myself but some folks were treated and I will use the word ganged up on..or givin the old push thier posts off the page with new posts made by one or two of the regulars who seemed to enjoy that type gameplaying..but then again I'm just adding my 2cents..and no one sees the glass the same way..half full or half emty or half assed as we are all looked upon in different ways..Thats life...so many opinions ..lol..cheers.. At least Skul started a little activity! Skul , nice job..see I can be nice now and then... <br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 12:47 PM

I think Zwei pretty much hit the nail on the head with the sarcasm comment. <br><br>
Posted by: djstefan

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 01:16 PM

Everything in this world has an up line, then a stable line and then a down line... Forums are no exeption. When dumbasses unite, they become like bullies in schools, frighten away the ones who don't unite and think like them.<br><br>Bullies feel powerless when they have noone to bullie around. <br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 01:28 PM

For me (and I'm sure others), the thing that has kept me from posting here is that I've found other sites that are more targeted toward my interests Ė and nearly all of them are blogs with comment sections. I have several Advertising related sites, dozens of graphic design sites, and a few software-related blog sites that I visit. All these sites are blog format which by nature encourages discussion about the subject at hand.<br><br>Then I have CreativeBits that keeps Ivan and I quite busy in our free time. Throw in work and the lack of interesting discussion here and you've arrived at the ghost town formerly known as MacMinute.<br><br>It's not that there isn't a lot going on in the Mac universe... in fact, I think there's more going on now than ever. It's that MacMinute isn't offering anything to bring about discussion. Much of the front page is nothing more than software announcements that you already get at MacUpdate or VersionTracker. Then for the few interesting bits of news that you haven't seen elsewhere, there's no story discussion. One other thing that would help MM is for Stan to hire a writer/reporter to do REAL stories, rather than the re-written press-releases that currently make up all the "news." Good commentary and software reviews would certainly bring more visitors.<br><br>Another thing that's probably hurting is the RSS feed technology. You can get the news from MacMinute and hundreds of other sites in one RSS Reader without actually having to visit the sites and wade through all the ads. RSS is a great technology, but it also serves to hurt web sites who provide it because there is no longer a reason to visit the site for the other things the site offers (such as forums, etc.)<br><br>I too miss the stories about Pete putting new flooring in his house, JohnnyCat's wild home videos, missing futons and of course, Mac discussion. Hopefully, those stories will find their way back here, but I'm not holding my breath.<br><br>PS: I don't miss that DaddyMac fella one bit... I'm glad Pete scared him off! <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 01:43 PM

I was thinking the same thing. In the early 90s there were Bulletin Boards, and they were replaced by Messages Boards on Prodigy etc. Then the internet brought Message Boards to the masses. I've noticed all message boards have been slowing down in the number of new posts. It's not just here and I think a lot of people are going to or hosting their own blog. I personally am not a fan of the weblog. I even started one a while ago, but couldn't get into that either. So we'll see what happens.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 03:36 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>It's that MacMinute isn't offering anything to bring about discussion. Much of the front page is nothing more than software announcements that you already get at MacUpdate or VersionTracker. Then for the few interesting bits of news that you haven't seen elsewhere, there's no story discussion. One other thing that would help MM is for Stan to hire a writer/reporter to do REAL stories, rather than the re-written press-releases that currently make up all the "news." Good commentary and software reviews would certainly bring more visitors<p><hr></blockquote><p>Very true! ...MacMinute's front page is pretty much old news that I had already heard about from other sites via RSS (i.e. MacDailyNews) MacBytes is also a good site to visit if you want a recap of what's going on. I rarely find any of the articles here at MM or over at MC (which seem to be identical half the time) interesting. Like you said, it's mostly software updates and re-worded press releases. <br><br>Stan? Stan? WHo is Stan? I haven't seen hide nor hair of him in here for MONTHS. Maybe I'm just not looking that hard, dunno.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 04:29 PM

For me it's not really about the sites... well, I guess I was never the heaviest poster around anyway.<br><br> I think I can see what some of the others are talking about when they say that they think they can attribute the ladk of traffic to some clique-ish behaviour. I think that the reason that a lot of the forum members came here in the first place was in order to avoid the mess that that other place was falling into. That sort of group migration, I'm sure, would lead to something of a closed mindset.<br><br>Combine that with all the political crap and... well, it did get pretty nasty in here for a bit.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 04:32 PM

What's a news site? <br>My take on things is that folks are suffering from forum burnout. I belong to several forums and find that I'm posting less and less to any of them these days. <br>There is only one forum that I feel there is ANY community feeling left and interestingly enough it's one where politics was banned right from the beginning. There is a huge difference from some friendly sarcasm and jesting and the hatred and venom that was spewed during some of the so-called political debates. There was no real debating going on. Little cliques were formed and lines drawn. The "communities" were split up. I don't see a return to the same old feeling any time soon.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 05:12 PM

TROLL!! <br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 05:14 PM

I would post here, but apparently there is no smoking allowed here. <br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 05:38 PM

Snide comments? Animosity? Not welcome? Here?!? Shut up!!!<br><br>Checking through my PMs, I found one to a certain avian member from a couple of years back with a prediction about this forum which seems to have come true. I take no satisfaction in that.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 06:07 PM

I take no satisfaction in that. Ah I hear you..<br><br>but its you sweet talking Southern fellows that keep some of us old birds flying in..someone has to keep an eye on you and check to see if you still have your long johns ready for the nasty weather thats heading our way...see I read your engagement notice.....lol..even managed to clean it up abit..home boy..<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 06:31 PM

I'm smoking and to heck with those that don't like it. <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 07:31 PM

I always have fun here. I choose to. An old Japanese proverb: "You make your own happiness." Ask Sam<br>Ebbs and flows such is life. I try to get along with everybody. I can usually find a good quality in anyone. If I can't it's not my problem.<br><br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 07:58 PM

Too many people come here only to reply and chime in, and not to initiate discussion. They're like old ladies sitting on a stoopówaiting for something to happen before they get involved. With active membership this low, that'll get you a ghost town every time.<br><br>(Not directed at you, just a general comment:) As for the exodus of MM's elders... Everyone looks to the forum or other members' behavior when that happens. Ever think it's the elders with the sticks up their asses? I'm sure they thought they were cock of the walk since the forum's inception, but I don't see any nametags on these pages. Well, I'm sorry for crapping on anyone's pissing ground.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 08:12 PM

That's an awesome photo John. Love the black and white too, perfect.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ghost town - 03/15/05 08:47 PM

You haven't quit smoking yet? There is no place left to smoke. I got so tired of having to go outside in the rain, and the snow, and the cold to light up that I finally quit. I decided that since I was always going through withdrawal because I couldn't smoke anywhere, that I may as well just get it over with and quit for good. It will be one year on April 2. Do I miss it? Hell, yes! <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 06:35 AM

You look like the kind of person who could. I, for one, am glad you didn't give up on MM. <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 06:38 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Too many people come here only to reply and chime in, and not to initiate discussion. They're like old ladies sitting on a stoopówaiting for something to happen before they get involved.<p><hr></blockquote><p>True, and not True. I used to post several stories in here, but they consistently got so little attention that I pretty much gave up. It's not worth my time to post something if it only gets one or two replies. Just recently we had a new member (tpatricks) pop in and post a couple good Mac stories, but the last one I saw got like two replies. The first post she made only got more replies because it was hijacked. Others like cesrivas (however you spell it) who posts things about Mac technology get zero replies half the time. <br><br>Like I said above. This is mainly a forum for sarcasm. There's nothing wrong with that either, but...<br><br>The only time this forum shows true activity is when someone starts a complaint thread or an "I'm leaving" thread. When that happens it's like that scene in Ace Ventura's apartment after the landlord leaves and all of the animals start coming out of the woodwork. <br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 06:52 AM

for some reason she was very popular too.<br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 06:57 AM

Yeah, wonder how Wal-Mart is treating her these days <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 07:03 AM

Sarcasm is unique to MM?? Really?? That stuff happens at every forum. Is every reply supposed to be "LOL! Cheers! ROFL!!" and animated gifs of birds???? (<---sarcasm)<br><br>I joined this forum two/three years ago... and the site is the same it has always been. It has never been updated or changed to meet the needs and trends of today's news sites/discussion boards. We're already two months past the imaginary launch date of new forum software.<br><br>As for posting news stories... maybe the stories just aren't that interesting... or maybe there's no room or need for further comment. Apple releases a miniscule update to iWidget. Uh... cool?? What are we supposed to say? Remember, we're in the midst of the longest span between OS X releases yet. <br><br>Cesrivas, God bless him, posts obscure developer with no insight. Just a clickable banner graphic from Apple's site. How's the average Joe supposed to respond? I don't even know what that stuff is!<br><br>If this place disappears, then I'm probably done with online discussion. I'm burnt out beyond these virtual walls. I don't even iChat like I used to. Places like SpyMac are too juvenile for me (yes, even for ME!). I don't have pictures to post of my dorm room with my $18,000 setup that my daddy bought me. (<---sarcasm)<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 07:23 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Sarcasm is unique to MM?? Really?? That stuff happens at every forum. Is every reply supposed to be "LOL! Cheers! ROFL!!" and animated gifs of birds????<p><hr></blockquote><p>Right On!! <br><br>Oh crap, just added to the sarcasm... <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 07:26 AM

Seriously, do other forums have sarcasm?<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 07:27 AM

Thanks!<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 07:31 AM

Yes, of course, but the ratio of sarcasm here is about the highest I have seen around the Mac forums I frequent. Not that that's bad! <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 07:38 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>"You make your own happiness." Ask Sam<p><hr></blockquote><p>Am I reading too much into that?<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 07:54 AM

MM also has the lowest number of new posts. So is the sarcasm out of control or the participation too low?<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 08:14 AM

Sadly, sarcasm is above the heads of posters in many other forums. I'm just happy that people here can understand it.<br><br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 08:16 AM

Morning Sam...Whoops...excuse me..just getting rid of a little sarcasm<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 08:21 AM

"... Ace Ventura's apartment after the landlord leaves and all of the animals start coming out of the woodwork."<br><br>That's a great mental image and very good example. HAHA<br>It wasn't always like that, too. <br><br>MM has seen it's prime. For me, it's not the forum software that matters. It's the people. There was enough of them that you could always find someone posting an interesting story, but there's so few now.<br><br>Regarding your example about Tera. Here was a perfect chance to breath some life into the board. The web master of a very active and feature rich Mac site, and her reception here was luke warm at best. I wouldn't be holding my breath for her return. <br>It would have taken one mention of MM on her site and we'd have new people jumping in to say hi. Eh, I'm beating a dead horse.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 08:23 AM

Participation being low is probably the biggest problem. When I first came here and started posting I got the feeling that people didn't care about my posts just because I was a newbie. I don't think that anymore, but I can definitely see how new members would see it the way I did. I'm not saying we need to baby every newcomer, but maybe take a little more time in letting them know they are welcome here. For instance, the first thread where tpatricks showed up, she was asked if she was the porn star of the same name. She may have taken that fine, but a lot of women wouldn't have. I don't want to get into the aspect of what's OK to say and what isn't, mostly cause I don't care ...but it might be better to say "Welcome to the forums" before "Hey, are you the pornstar". You save that question for the 3rd thread! Make it the 3rd thread rule. <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 08:32 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Regarding your example about Tera. Here was a perfect chance to breath some life into the board. The web master of a very active and feature rich Mac site, and her reception here was luke warm at best. I wouldn't be holding my breath for her return.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Bingo. Glad to see someone else who shares my opinion.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 10:32 AM

I've noticed that many of your posts in this thread include "There's nothing wrong with that..." and I get a sense you say that in order to avoid possible backlash.<br>There's sarcasm and there's joshing. <br>People here used to take everything with a grain of salt, but things got heated, really heated and most people, myself included, have become thin skinned. I'm trying to be better. I keep my bar room brawling in the soapbox and leave this place to chat. <br>It might confuse some but I can seperate between the two and while I can mix it up with Sean in the Soapbox, here we're just two guys who rap about whatever. <br><br>Anyway, I don't see anything improving unless we start cloning iRock.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 11:29 AM

Haha I'm the only one that can swim in the testosterone sea. Here all along I thought the sarcasm was witty. Guess I was half right. <br>(PS I'm getting a new car! I'm getting a new car! I'm getting a new car!)<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 11:46 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I've noticed that many of your posts in this thread include "There's nothing wrong with that..." and I get a sense you say that in order to avoid possible backlash.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, I just don't want to be seen as someone new coming in and trying to "Save" the place. I just wanted to get my own personal view out there since I haven't really stated it before. <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 11:47 AM

??<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 11:52 AM

Well, you can't end it there. What kind of new car?<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 11:58 AM

"Yeah, I just don't want to be seen as someone new coming in and trying to "Save" the place. I just wanted to get my own personal view out there since I haven't really stated it before."<br><br>Are you a porn star?<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 12:00 PM

Ordered it yesterday. But I am a little miffed with rick. He won't let me get the 6.1L 420 HP engine. So I will make do with the 340HP. We drove one yesterday and OH MY GOD! He is thrilled too.<br>Here is exactly what we are getting. It's got the Hemi.<br><br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 12:04 PM

That's a fine ride. Enjoy.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 12:27 PM

Very, very nice. <br>Congratulations, Shelli.<br><br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 12:31 PM

rofl ...only on sundays <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 12:39 PM

This is the most life I've seen in this forum in months... maybe the forum *isn't* going to die! <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 12:52 PM

It's the death rattle.<br><br><br>hahaha I'm kidding. Honestly, it's nice to see so much going on. Okay, time to help iRock hijack the thread. <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 12:54 PM

Will it outrun flowing lava? I understand that's a popluar feature that folks in your neck of the woods look for.<br><br>That is a very nice looking car. <br>Okay, everybody! Party at iRocks. She's driving.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 01:03 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>maybe the forum *isn't* going to die!<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 01:51 PM

Congrats on your purchase of the new car. <br><br>I was hoping to get the new Mustang conv. But I am working on getting a new house first.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 01:57 PM

I don't know how much snow you get so... did you get all wheel drive or rear wheel drive?<br>Congrats, again.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 02:51 PM

Let's see if I can cover at least some of the bases of this thread. Late to the party, but I really liked Tera's site. A Mac babe with attitude. Her articles are just loaded with sarcasm too. I don't think she was scared off. I think she fits in well around here. Groucho Marx is a personal hero of mine so I've always taken sarcasm as more a form of humor than insult...although it can be both.<br><br>iRock, 340 hp is saweeeet! Plenty to putter around town in...or race Vipers whichever comes first. Congrats!<br><br>To those ex-forum members like...DaddyMac...sKrue...bganey...man those guys were just troublemakers anyway. We're much better off with Pete, Sam & Bryan. <br><br>Marg & JC I'll stand out in the rain and smoke with ya. I'll even provide the smokes. <br><br>And, zwei, not only do I like your InFold program but when you and SteveS start arguing with Akula I go get the popcorn because those are some of the best "debates" in either forum. Especially after Akula has had a few...why he tortures himself by coming there is beyond me. Good fun though!<br><br>I have seen a drop off in all of the forums I frequent. Although I post here more than anywhere else. A music forum that I post to used to have major activity that has now dropped down to a trickle. I think it is internet-wide not just here.<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 03:09 PM

Well thanks! ...not to many people over here are into F@H (except the cross posters). Now all we need to do is get a resident Windoze apologist over here and it'll be all good. <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 03:15 PM

Apple sucks! Gates is God! <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 03:20 PM

Speaking of F@H. What's with JimD? Did he start folding with like 100 machines? He shot up to the top in a hurry! I was just glad to break into the top 10 a few months ago. I'm so competitive I have been looking to add a couple more machines to the mix so macman_nz won't catch me. <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 03:32 PM

Uh-oh ...time to break out the ScatSignal!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 03:51 PM

Yeah, JimD didn't know much about F@H till just recently. Several of us mentioned it to him in a discussion at his forum and I helped get him set up. I had no idea he had that many machines. A handful of G5s will get you up in the points really quickly, as you noticed. He's been sick for over a week now and some of the points have dropped off a bit, but I expect them to go back up soon. My points had just recently dropped to about half of what they were a month or so ago. The big gromac units must have dropped off recently. <br><br>yeah, looks like macman_nz has your number <br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 03:58 PM

*stands sheepishly*<br><br>Hello, my name's Llew, and I'm a windoze appologist<br><br>*sits*<br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 04:12 PM

Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem. <br><br>
Posted by: lorainne

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 04:13 PM

Please, no more talk of things dying...brings back terrible memories of a bath that was too hot...<br><br>[color:blue]Je suis ici pendant le bon temps pas un long temps</font color=blue>

Re: Ghost town - 03/16/05 04:23 PM

Lorraine, I'm certain you're just as delicious now as you were then.<br><br>Anyone got any butter?<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Ghost town - 03/18/05 05:45 AM

A lot of folks have turned into bitter, arrogant, egotistical, anti-social, self-serving drones!<br><br>Maybe I'll join the sheep!<br><br>- this place STILL sucks, eh? -
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Ghost town - 03/18/05 06:13 AM

Well, this place goes in cycles. <br><br>It might be a ghost town now, but in a couple months, it'll pick back up. <br><br>I know right now, I've been busy, MattMac112 is on vacation and people are just doing other things. It's easy to burn out on message boards from time to time...so I just log out, push away from the table and go outside. <br><br>People will be back though. <br><br>As for whether or not new people feel welcome, I think it depends on how they introduce themselves. People are very suspicious of anyone shilling for anything. So if somebody drops in and says "Hey...how are you...this is a cool place....buy my fonts...or come to my website...or sign up for a free iPod..." they can expect to be ridiculed and run out of here. <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Ghost town - 03/18/05 06:15 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> A lot of folks have turned into bitter, arrogant, egotistical, anti-social, self-serving drones!<p><hr></blockquote><p>I believe that's over at the "classic" forums! <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/18/05 07:27 AM

I know in my own case, I've been branching out onto other specialty boards instead of trying to talk about every single subject in this place...<br><br>I go to a sports board to talk about baseball, gaming forum to yak about games, etc, etc...<br><br>This place has become more of a hangout for coming back and sharing with what I've been doing outside of MM.... Kinda like when you come home from work and talk about your day with your significant other....<br> <br><br>[color:red]5.19.05 - The 'Jedi Slaughter' tour begins!</font color=red>

Re: Ghost town - 03/18/05 08:33 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I believe that's over at the "classic" forums!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Where's that? I wanna join the fray!<br><br>- this place STILL sucks, eh? -

Re: Ghost town - 03/18/05 06:28 PM

Better add those machines or I'll catch you in F@H <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/18/05 06:31 PM

Are you lost? <br><br>

Re: Ghost town - 03/18/05 08:59 PM

No. I tripped.<br><br>- this place STILL sucks, eh? -

Re: Ghost town - 03/18/05 09:19 PM

crack whore! <br><br>