Any good mac games?

Posted by: sean

Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 12:16 PM

the last time i played a computer game on my mac it was a game called snood. i think i downloaded some FPS about about 6 years ago that i tried as a demo. had a bit of fun, but not enough to every buy another. <br><br>i'd like to try another that is more action-oriented than snood. probably a real game (if they exist on a mac). any suggestions for someone that probably won't play a zillion hours to figure out all the different keyboard buttons for this weapon and that weapon and this view and that view, etc. something fairly easy to learn, but highly entertaining. i just tried sim city 4, but i was going to have to wait a few days for it to ship. nah.<br><br>i'd prefer to download the game after i purchase it . . . i'd like to start playing tonight rather than waiting for something to ship. perhaps i've narrowed things down to nothing, but let me know if anything still qualifies. and, don't tell my wife . . . i made her get rid of snood because she was addicted and promised to not play games on my computer either. <br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.
Posted by: snag

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 12:34 PM

Pretty much every big game comes the Mac eventually so you can play whatever floats your boat. The games we don't get uaually are the back-bin discounted games that bombed on the PC><br><br>These days i Play:<br><br>EQ Mac<br>WoW for Mac<br>Call of Duty<br><br>

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 12:43 PM

i read a review of WoW and i thought the trailer looked pretty awesome. perhaps it's worth the wait since i'd have to wait for it to ship.<br><br>there was a guy who was getting his Ph.D. with me at the university of kansas. he worked on a large grant project making $40,000+ a year while being a full time student. it was a good gig. he started playing EQ and ended up dropping out to work for sony as a moderator something like that. i suppose that game is a bit addicting. i don't need that. <br><br>i also have a gamecube with about 4 games that are now almost 2 year old (mario sunshine, zelda, football, and some stupid pikmin game that i wasted about 10 minutes on before never playing again). perhaps i should just run to best buy and get a new game for that instead??? too many decisions . . . though, that's a good thing.<br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 12:46 PM

Could always *rent* a few for GameCube before running out and spending anything more than $6 or $7....<br><br>BB now lets you have games for the whole week (& now a few days more) before you return...<br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>
Posted by: DavidDraiman

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 01:04 PM

right now i'm playing the demo of Blades of Avernum.<br><br>When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 01:21 PM

great idea. thanks for the tip. i'll run off and grab a few now. perhaps i can get bored enough in the next week that i won't even bother spending the money on my own version. <br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 01:30 PM

Just tryin' to pass along a money-saving option I've gotten into the habit of taking, rather than impulsively blowing $40 or $50 on a game that looks good from the box in the store...<br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 01:57 PM

Hey! Don't knock Pikmin! That's a great game.<br><br>For gamecube, go for Metroid Prime or Mario Golf. Different games, but both are fun.<br><br><br>
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 02:01 PM

If you might be a fan of puzzle/mystery games you might want to check out AGON http://www.agongame.com.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 02:04 PM

What machine do you have?<br><br>Doom 3 is shipping now, it's pretty freaking awesome if your machine can handle it. Which pretty means anything less than a dual G5 with top of the line graphics card will be crying in pain.<br><br>Doom 3 chewed up my 2 year old Athlon XP / GeForce 3ti box for breakfast and pooped it out all over the floor while laughing. I was able to play with all the graphic settings, but the framerate was terrible in spots. <br><br>But anyway, it's loads of fun.. and actually scary.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 02:29 PM

WoW is awesome but it eats up time like nothing else, and it is so addictive...<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 03:32 PM

Not even if all my machines joined forces to take on Doom 3 would I be able to play it. I'll have to get the Xbox version.<br><br>very sad.<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 04:06 PM

The only game I play is a flight sim called X-plane.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 06:45 PM

The problem with World of Warcraft is that there is no single-player available. You play online with/against other people and you have to pay a monthly fee to do that... However, Warcraft III is awesome!<br><br>

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 07:02 PM

i love flying . . . on a computer. i hate the real thing, but i love flying games. i tried x-plane over a year ago (the demo) and loved playing with it. perhaps i'll just buy it and play it some more. i imagine the updates have been pretty good over that time.<br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 07:03 PM

subscription, eh? i had no idea when i thought about buying it. phew! thanks.<br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 07:06 PM

i am downloading AGON episode 1 right now to give it a whirl. looks sorta cool.<br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 08:36 PM

How about invisible lemur? <br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/14/05 08:43 PM

X-plane keeps getting a little better with time.<br>The new version 8 is pretty much seamless.<br>I enjoy flying with instruments. <br>I use Plane-maker to arrange the instruments in the cockpit the way I want them.<br>And I use it to add the instruments that I like the most.<br>I have a dp 2.5 G5 with a 256 mb video card so I can use the highest textures and still fly smoothly.<br><br><br>
Posted by: rot

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/17/05 03:46 PM

http://www.wolfire.com/lugaru.html<br>definately the best 3D independent game for Mac OS X so far.<br>rabbits vs rabbits vs wolves. watership down crossed with bloodsport.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/17/05 09:47 PM

Fun Donna. Quick and fairly easy. <br><br>I want to try AGON but haven't yet.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/18/05 08:50 AM

Freeverse hooked me up with a copy of Robin Hood while I was at MacWorld, and it's a pretty fun game. <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/18/05 07:11 PM

Thanks for the tip, I like Freeverse. They have some good games.<br><br>
Posted by: rot

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/20/05 02:30 AM

yeah, especially kill monty<br>http://www.freeverse.com/killmonty/<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Any good mac games? - 03/20/05 04:31 AM

This game is the bomb! <br><br>warning...you have to have the latest mac to run it. <br><br>