My user pic

Posted by: Anonymous

My user pic - 11/16/02 06:30 AM

In case you were wondering, that thing in my mouth in the picture is a Cuban cigar. Bought it down in Mexico just for the hell of it and smoked it on the beach down there south of Rosarito one day. I don't normally smoke cigars.<br><br>So, now you know what that is all about. Aren't you just so complete now?<br><br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikeb_X on 11/16/02 09:31 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 06:50 AM

I don't normally smoke cigars either but the Cubans are very nice and mild. <br><br>I still have the small skinny ones that I bought back from Cuba. I like to savour accompanied by a glass of brandy on special occasions.<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 07:42 AM

My father died of lung cancer.. My father in-law also died of lung cancer..<br>Mild or strong.. Stop smoking.. Because [color:red]IT WILL KILL YOU..</font color=red><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 07:57 AM

I smoked cigarettes for years..then quit 2 years ago this coming Jan. Glad I did!<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 08:02 AM

Good for you John... Way to go..<br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 08:35 AM

I lost my Dad this summer, the same way.........<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 09:31 AM

Yes, I know. I do smoke cigarets and wish I could stop. Can't. Hey, something is going to kill you sooner or later. I think it has a lot to do with heredity when it comes to smoking and lung cancer, sometimes you get the short end of the stick, other times you don't. I'll take my chances I guess. Thanks for the concern though.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 09:51 AM

I quite about 20 years ago because I was working at a place where my office was on the fifth floor and there was no elevator. I found myself having to stop on the way up to gasp and regain my breath. So I decided I had to quit. I waited till the summer, and then I went every day to a swimming hole (actually the Arlington Reservoir, in Arlington, MA), and did reading and writing there. When I wanted a cigarette, I'd jump in the water and swim instead. In the evening, at home, I'd jump on the weight bench every time I had a craving. I stopped smoking--and for the first and only time in my life got pretty buff .<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 09:53 AM

Yes, I have quit also for several years at a time several times, but I always end up smoking again. <br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 10:18 AM

Me too. Smoked from age 15 until age 37. Been just over three years now without them and I still occassionally crave a smoke. <br><br>

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 10:24 AM

I started around age 16..and quit when I was 36 the craving is still there..<br><br>

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 10:37 AM

Guys...I am not bragging, but I have never smoked in my life and knowing what we do now, I glad I did. I understand how hard it is to stop, but I feel everyone should, for their health and the health of families and friends! I get sick seeing young kids smoke, trying to be cool and look more mature...and killing themselves in the process. The life long smoking which started as a kid has killed my father, his brother and several others in my family and my wife's family. I am sorry, I'am jumping off my box now...just hate to see people inflect pain on themselves.<br><br><br><br>"The day people stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them." Colin Powell

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 11:30 AM

Good for you, wish I could say the same for myself. You have every right to stand on the soapbox.<br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 12:44 PM

I swear that while travelling on the highway, if the driver of the car in front of me is smoking I can tell. I can smell their cigarette smoke and I can also tell whether the cigarette they are smoking is menthol, box or soft pack and what hand the driver is holding the cigarette in. lol. <br><br>

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 12:46 PM

Yeah, I can tell if they are smoking too..especially a cigar! Strange to be driving down the highway and smell that..<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 12:52 PM

Heh - heh - good to know I'm not alone with my over-active sense of smell! Folks I work with swear I can smell a cigarette being smoked in the next state. <br><br>10 years since I quit. Lost a couple of friends to lung cancer also. And my Mom and all her siblings have emphysema. <br><br>[color:red]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.</font color=red><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 01:34 PM

I've smoked cigars, especially Cohibas and Romeo and Juliettas regularly, but last New Year I made a commitment to stop. It was hard several times, but I made it and for the last few month I didn't feel like smoking at all. I saved so much money that I bought a decent bike for the money I saved in 11 month. My mother in law stopped smoking cigrettes same time as I stopped after 25 years. She's clean too. I'm proud of her, because I know how much I struggled and my addiction was only the 10th in intensity of hers.<br><br>http://raszl.net

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 01:55 PM

I can smell tobacco smoke on a person days after the smoking took place. It's not a pretty smell, IMHO, which makes me wonder about how I used to smell to others when I smoked--and I was smoking constantly, like three and four packs a day. Lord, what a stench that must have been!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: My user pic - 11/16/02 03:01 PM

Thank you!<br><br><br><br>"The day people stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them." Colin Powell
Posted by: Krasni

I'm back - 11/17/02 08:44 AM

I had the pleasure and honor to meet Michael and can say he doesn't smoke that much. On the other hand my uncle died of lung cancer and didn't smoke a cigarette in all his life, lived in a healthy village with clean air... You never know. Of course I'm not saying smoking is good, and continue asking my husband to quit.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: My user pic - 11/17/02 08:48 AM

So Mike, what is making it so hard to quit? <br><br>Do you hang out with people who smoke? Maybe you need to get some new, non-smoking friends...<br><br>Some people can't quit just because it's a nervous habit...That I don't know WHAT to suggest... Gum, lollipops, pretzels, those plastic nicotine inhalers- whatever works for ya...<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: Krasni

Re: My user pic - 11/17/02 09:05 AM

My father was a hard smoker, he was ALWAYS smoking. One day, we were walking together and he was smoking as usual. Then he said: "this is the last one", and throw the cigarette out. Well, it was almost 18 years ago and he never smoked again! Without pretzels, mints, gums of therapy group. Great, isn't it?<br><br>

Re: My user pic - 11/17/02 11:24 AM

I think to get off smoking is a big challenge and for some who smoked for years is an achievement as climbing the K2. It's a journey of a lifetime. You struggle for something good and if you make it, you're a better person for many reasons.<br><br>It's not the smokers fault that he/she is addicted. It's a trap that is made up by the tobacco industry to literally suck your blood out slowly until you die.<br><br>Why is it illegal to sell grass and crack and legal to sell tobacco, just because it's socially accepted. But it's all the same thing, there is no difference. Grass is actually less addictive than cigarettes. In spite of social acceptance it's still wrong to sell cigarettes. We should realise that and adjust the laws to reflect reality.<br><br>Social acceptance is dangerous. Just ask walzuhair what do you get for drinking a can of beer in Saudi in public. Nevertheless the same authorities don't care about smokers. In Hungary or California smoking is not allowed in most places, but drinking is. Does it make any sense?<br><br>I'd actually ban manufacturing and importing all drugs, but wouldn't ban using them. Let it be everyone's own decision. If you wanna grow your own cannabis, you should have the freedom to do so. Everyone should have the right to f..k up their lifes as they like to. But most governments do it all the way around. Put me in jail for smoking a joint, but let Marlboro operate freely. They let them put stuff to the tobacco, so that it becomes more addictive and the nikotine gets to your blood stream faster. Obviously all these govenements and law makers are philistines and payed by the tobacco industries.<br><br>So my message is don't let yourself be an addict and feed the tobacco, coffee, soda, alcohol, etc. businesses. Life's too short to play with your health. Live healthy, happy and free. Amen ;-)<br><br>PS. Please tell me if i'm all wrong!<br><br>http://raszl.net

Re: My user pic - 11/17/02 12:52 PM

You know, in the 18th and 19th century, the big drug exporter was the US--its tobacco, not its hemp. In fact, tobacco was understood to have psychotropic properties not unlike what cannabis is said to have nowadays. That's why there are all sorts of novels of the 18th and 19th century that represent the effects of smoking tobacco as if it were the same as smoking pot nowadays. One of by favorite cases of that is in Dickens' Hard Times, where one of the evil characters (it is Dickens, after all) performs his most heinous deed right after he has smoked up a storm with cigars, and is in a clearly narcotized state.<br><br>Just goes to show, I guess.<br><br>(Not sure what )<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: My user pic - 11/17/02 01:33 PM

I quit cold-turkey (just stopped, used nothing) after about 18 years of smoking. Sure glad I did. One of the things that I keep in mind is...who runs my body...me or cigarettes? Definately a will-power thing.<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: My user pic - 11/17/02 01:41 PM

"So my message is don't let yourself be an addict and feed the tobacco, coffee, soda, alcohol, etc. businesses. Life's too short to play with your health. Live healthy, happy and free. Amen"<br><br>I think that caffeine does more good than bad, it would take a lot of caffeine to do serious damage (and yes it is possible to over dose on caffeine) much more than coffee or soda would ever have, however caffeine pills are often abused and as a result you can OD on it.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: My user pic - 11/17/02 01:54 PM

There is caffeine in lots of foods less know is.<br>Tea and chocholate has lots of caffeine.<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: My user pic - 11/17/02 01:57 PM

And how could someone ever go without chocolate, tea, or coffee? <br><br>

Coffee is just like heroin - 11/18/02 01:58 AM

Medically, caffeine is useful as a cardiac stimulant and also as a mild diuretic (it increases urine production). Recreationally, it is used to provide a "boost of energy" or a feeling of heightened alertness. It's often used to stay awake longer - college students and drivers use it to stay awake late into the night. Many people feel as though they "cannot function" in the morning without a cup of coffee to provide caffeine and the boost it gives them.<br><br>READ ON!<br><br>Caffeine is an addictive drug. Among its many actions, it operates using the same mechanisms that amphetamines, cocaine and heroin use to stimulate the brain. On a spectrum, caffeine's effects are more mild than amphetamines, cocaine and heroin, but it is manipulating the same channels and that is one of the things that gives caffeine its addictive qualities. If you feel like you cannot function without it and must consume it every day, then you are addicted to caffeine.<br><br>To a nerve cell, caffeine looks like adenosine. Caffeine therefore binds to the adenosine receptor. However, it doesn't slow down the cell's activity like adenosine would. So the cell cannot "see" adenosine anymore because caffeine is taking up all the receptors adenosine binds to. So instead of slowing down because of the adenosine level, the cells speed up. You can see that caffeine also causes the brain's blood vessels to constrict, because it blocks adenosine's ability to open them up. This effect is why some headache medicines like Anacin contain caffeine - if you have a vascular headache, the caffeine will close down the blood vessels and relieve it.<br><br>So now you have increased neuron firing in the brain. The pituitary gland sees all of the activity and thinks some sort of emergency must be occurring, so it releases hormones that tell the adrenal glands to produce adrenaline (epinephrine). Adrenaline is, of course, the "fight or flight" hormone and it has a number of effects on your body.<br><br>Caffeine also increases dopamine levels in the same way that amphetamines do (heroine and cocaine also manipulate dopamine levels by slowing down the rate of dopamine re-uptake). Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that, in certain parts of the brain, activates the pleasure center. Obviously caffeine's effect is much lower than heroin's, but it is the same mechanism. It is suspected that the dopamine connection contributes to caffeine addiction.<br><br>So you can see why your body might like caffeine in the short term, especially if you are low on sleep and need to remain active. Caffeine blocks adenosine reception so you feel alert. It injects adrenaline into the system to give you a boost. And it manipulates dopamine production to make you feel good.<br><br>The problem with caffeine is the longer-term effects, which tend to spiral. For example, once the adrenaline wears off you face fatigue and depression. So what are you going to do? You take more caffeine to get the adrenaline going again. As you might imagine, having your body in a state of emergency all day long isn't very healthy, and it also makes you jumpy and irritable.<br><br>The most important long-term problem is the effect that caffeine has on sleep. Adenosine reception is important to sleep, and especially to deep sleep. The half-life of caffeine in your body is about 6 hours. That means that if you consume a big cup of coffee with 200 mg of caffeine in it at 3:00 PM, then by 9:00 PM about 100 mg of that caffeine is still in your system. You may be able to fall asleep, but your body probably will miss out on the benefits of deep sleep. That deficit adds up fast. The next day you feel worse, so you need caffeine as soon as you get out of bed. The cycle continues day after day.<br><br>apple C click apple V from www.howstuffworks.com/caffeine1.htm<br><br>http://raszl.net
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Coffee is just like heroin - 11/18/02 07:02 AM

Exactly why I never started drinking coffee- I'd rather be exhausted all day long- it gives me the motivation to get a good night's sleep the NEXT day...<br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: Coffee is just like heroin - 11/19/02 06:28 AM

That's my man!<br><br>http://raszl.net