More Der'eyya Pix

Posted by: walzuhair

More Der'eyya Pix - 11/15/02 03:58 PM

On Thursday, Abdulaziz & I went GeoCaching and then visited the old city of Der'eyya and took these photos... Enjoy <br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/15/02 04:12 PM

Very nice. Thanks.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/15/02 04:53 PM

How old is that place?<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/15/02 04:55 PM

Beautiful pictures Waleed!!<br>Keep 'em coming.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/15/02 05:06 PM

I got nervous...I thought that was just slang for 'derriere'- I didn't know WHAT kind of pictures I was going to see...<br><br>(Alec, your cue)<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/15/02 05:11 PM

Are those date palms in the one photo? It is a starkly beautiful place, except for the palms, which are plain beautiful.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: RubenC

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/15/02 05:30 PM

very nice, the palms are cool to look at.<br><br>[color:blue]All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then Success is sure - Mark Twain</font color=blue>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 01:35 AM

very nice, love the textures!<br><br>http://raszl.net

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 02:02 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>How old is that place?<p><hr></blockquote><p>People lived there between the years 1500-1850, then left to a more modern Der'eyya just a couple of kilometers east of it, or to other new cities like Riyadh.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 02:10 AM

Thanks. Any idea how old those current structures are? Do they date back to the beginning? I find the architecture fascinating.<br><br>

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 02:19 AM

Date palms were a very important source of food & a commodity to trade in those days. We greet guests with a smile, Arabian coffee and dates (no, not that type of dates). That’s why Der’eyya is still considered one of the good farmlands for date palms.<br><br>

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 02:31 AM

I'll have to get back to you on that Marg.. There was a guide sitting at the entrance of the city handing out maps of safe tracks and routes with descriptions of the what the structure was, but no reference of dates was mentioned.. I'll ask him next time.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 05:46 AM

Nice shots. Do they put those paper cones on the date palms like they do out here? I used to live in the Palm Springs area out here for a few years and at a certain time of the year they always put those cone shaped paper things on the date palms. <br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 11:23 AM

Those are great pics. Thanks for showing them!<br><br><br>

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 11:39 AM

No paper cones here...<br>What time of the year do they put them? April?<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 03:13 PM

Waleed - your photographs are just so beautiful...you have a very good eye for composition. My favorites are the texture and pattern close up shots...BTW - did you ever get those postcards printed?<br><br>[color:red]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.</font color=red><br>

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 03:38 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>BTW - did you ever get those postcards printed?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Unfortunately not, due to lack of funds .. In the spring.. May be.. Thanks for asking.. <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 05:40 PM

Like I told you in PM that day, very well done! You have a good eye for that!<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 09:00 PM

wow...thanx for sharing. what i find particularly amazing is that the place seems so beautiful and full of history, yet there is nobody else in any of your shots. it's almost as if you had the place and the history all to yourself that day. very neat indeed -- thank you for bring us along for the ride. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: bird

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/16/02 09:48 PM

They are simply beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!! <br><br>

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/17/02 12:38 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>it's almost as if you had the place and the history all to yourself that day.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>8:30AM on a Thursday (weekend here) in Ramadhan.. Everybody was sleeping.. <br><br>

Re: More Der'eyya Pix - 11/17/02 12:57 AM

[color:red]Thank you..</font color=red> [color:green]Thank you..</font color=green> [color:blue]Thank you..</font color=blue> [color:purple]Thank you..</font color=purple><br><br>Thank you all so much for the encouragement and kind compliments. In 10 days, we’re going on a road trip to Kuwait and hope we can get the time to capture and post our experience.<br><br>If you're in Kuwait, pay us a visit.. We'll be here (N29 15.577 E48 04.458)<br><br>