Where is this?

Posted by: yoyo52

Where is this? - 11/12/02 07:24 PM

Ok, here's a test for you all. Can you tell what planet we're looking at in this picture?<br><br><br><br>If you've seen it at the AstroPix site, don't tell.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: iRock

Re: Where is this? - 11/12/02 07:41 PM

I don't have an educated guess but I will say Mars. Isn't it red?<br><br>The wine urges me on, the bewitching wine, which sets even a wise man to singing and to laughing gently and rouses him up to dance and brings forth words <br>which were better unspoken.<br>Homer
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Where is this? - 11/12/02 08:12 PM

Jupiter? That looks like the spot on top..<br><br>But I see mountain ranges so that may not be correct...<br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Where is this? - 11/12/02 09:09 PM

My best guest would be Mars. The white stripe could be ice, Mars does have polar caps - mabe the photo was taken in the northeren regions.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Where is this? - 11/12/02 09:39 PM

I'll guess Saturn<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: What is this? - 11/12/02 10:37 PM

I would not be so sure it is a planet, since it could be a moon such as IO but if you aren't going to put us out of our misery, then I will ask "what is this?"<br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================
Posted by: MachOne

Re: What is this? - 11/13/02 01:00 AM

Not sure but I think I found a few in my hair last July.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 01:07 AM

Earth, California desert. Hey looks a lot like Mars too.<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 01:23 AM

My guess would be Earth, Yellowstone National Park..<br><br>

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 01:36 AM

No, I don't think it could be Yellowstone, it looks too dry. It is a desert region I would think on Earth, or perhaps some other planet like Mars. Maybe the Arabian Peninsula? [censored], I don't know where the hell it is.<br><br>

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 01:37 AM

OK Yoyo, so spill the beans! What are we looking at?<br><br>

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 02:16 AM

Decaff Mike, decafffff <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 02:51 AM

I was gonna guess Earth too...like it was taken with some weird filter or at a certain time....<br><br>My 2nd guess would be Mars.<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 05:25 AM

I'm guessing Earth - Mongolia - Gobi Desert.<br><br>[color:red]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.</font color=red><br>

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 05:36 AM

Put me down for the Earth vote.<br><br>

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 05:40 AM

I didn't see anything in Yellowstone quite like that Waleed, but here is the dry Mammoth Hot Springs.<br><br><br> "This is the art of courage: to see things as they are and still believe that the victory lies not with those who avoid the bad, but those who taste, in living awareness, every drop of the good."<br>--Victoria Lincoln<br>

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 06:26 AM

No decaf for me, I need the caffeine!<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 07:19 AM

I'll guess a desert somewhere on Earth... So, um, WHERE THE HELL IS IT???<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 07:30 AM

Terkezi ... [ Sahara, Africa, Earth.]<br>With a sand rain ...<br><br><br><br>Giaguara<br>

Re: What is this? - 11/13/02 07:53 AM

Treebeard -<br><br>I believe that is a recently discovered asteroid just on the far edge of our solar system?<br><br>----<br>S3V3N<br>Washington, DC USA

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 07:57 AM

I have a book with aerial photographs of different places on Earth (you can see people walking on that path). This is the picture of Yellowstone National Park that lead me to guess it:<br><br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 10:49 AM

maui, hawaii is my guess.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Where is this? - 11/13/02 07:40 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back, but this is the first chance I've had to go on line all day. The planet? Earth. The place? The Sahara, round about Chad.<br><br>Neat stuff, ain't it?!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: What is this? - 11/13/02 07:43 PM

I can name it, TreeBeard. It's asteroid Annfrank. Great site for pictures!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Where is this? - 11/14/02 04:24 AM

You were darned close to being right. Is that place you guessed in Chad? If so, you win the big prize. An all expense trip to the place on the picture courtesy of Yoyo. Please email Yoyo for the details.<br><br>
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Where is this? - 11/14/02 04:36 AM

more precisely.. it's in Terkezi ...<br><br>Giaguara<br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: What is this? - 11/14/02 05:27 AM

10 points YoYo, it is Asteroid AnneFrank and yes it also recently discovered and yes again.. it is a great site for pix<br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================

Re: Where is this? - 11/14/02 05:50 AM

I'll refer the prize request to Stan <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Where is this? - 11/14/02 06:58 AM

And where is Terkezi?<br><br>EDIT: OK, I see that is Terkezi oasis in Chad. So, never mind. You win the big prize.<br><br>

Re: Where is this? - 11/14/02 07:07 AM

Being short I didn't see anything from that angle. Is that Firehole Lake? Does it have a caption in your book? Neat pic.<br><br>