Posted by: OSXaddict

Skype - 01/01/05 09:47 AM

Have any of you all tried this yet? I just heard about it...and am still not certain what it does exactly. Here's the description:<br>What is Skype?<br>Skype is a free program that uses the latest P2P (cutting edge p2p technology) technology to bring affordable and high-quality voice communications to people all over the world.<br><br>How does it work?<br>When you use the free Skype software, you can connect to other Skype users so that you can talk and chat. Behind the scenes, cutting edge p2p technology manages the connection for you.<br><br>Why would I use Skype when I already have iChat?<br>Skype is built from the ground up for voice communications across platforms and around the world. You can use Skype to make calls to any regular telephone number all over the world at very low prices. Skype also allows you to easily talk for free to anyone else using Skype whether they are on Mac, Linux, Windows or Pocket PC.<br><br>http://www.skype.com/<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Skype - 01/01/05 10:00 AM

I think cause it can dial regular phone numbers. <br><br>
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: Skype - 01/01/05 11:45 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>" I think cause it can dial regular phone numbers."<p><hr></blockquote><p>But...<br><br><BLOCKQUOTE><I><B><A HREF=http://skype.com/products/>[color:ROYALBLUE]<U>Calling regular phone numbers.</U></FONT></A></B><br><br>If there werenít enough ways for you to contact your friends, we have a little thing called SkypeOut. It letís you make calls to old-fashioned phone numbers all around the world. Landlines, mobile phones... it works with almost all of them. SkypeOut is not free but it is pretty cheap, actually. You can read more about SkypeOut if you wish.</I></BLOCKQUOTE><br><br>

Re: Skype - 01/01/05 11:49 AM

Not free...that sucks. <br><br>Still though, Skype is catching on like wildfire in the PC world, so the point in having it, I guess, would be to be able to chat with other Skype users. <br><br>

Re: Skype - 01/01/05 04:21 PM

I've started looking into moving my telephone service to broadband (VoIP).<br><br>My friend started using <A HREF=http://www.callvantage.com>[color:ROYALBLUE]<U>AT&T's CallVantage</U></FONT></A>. He's signed up for the $29.99 plan, with unlimited calling to the US and Canada.<br><br>I gave a look at <A HREF=http://www.vonage.com>[color:ROYALBLUE]<U>Vonage</U></FONT></A>. The $24.99 plan looks good.<br><br>In both cases, the International rates are about as cheap as you'll find; 4Ę/minute from the US to Sydney Australia through Vonage, for example.<br><br>The only annoyance that you'd have to get used to is that you have to dial the area code, even if you're only calling next door or across the street.<br><br>Still have much more research to do.<br><br>

Re: Skype - 01/01/05 06:05 PM

I've been looking at it too. <br><br>My parents had Packet 8 VoIP for awhile, and it wasn't bad. $19.99 a month for basically the Vonage deal. The only drawbacks I could see were the area code thing, and if your high-speed connection or the power goes out...no phone. <br><br>
Posted by: breed

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 06:23 AM

Actually, the area code thing wouldn't be that big a deal... I lived in the DC area for a while, and we had to dial the 10 digit number all the time... Basically, those 3 extra digits don't mean much... especially if you program numbers in like you do on a cell...<br><br>What's the quality like on VoIP?<br><br>breed<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 07:59 AM

What's the quality like on VoIP?<br><br>Somewhere between cellphone and landline- closer to landline....totally happy with it after about a year of usage...<br><br>

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 08:13 AM

That unlimited long distance...<br><br>I would be willing to put up with a slight dent in quailty in the name of being able to make as many long distance calls as I want. <br><br>

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 12:57 PM

I just finished installing Skype on my computer and talked to Waleed via computer to computer. Talk about crystal clear! And free! <br><br>There seemed to be 0 delay. This is staying on my mac <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 01:06 PM

Thanks for the report John. How cool you talked to Waleed.<br><br><br>

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 01:08 PM

Actually, it was me, Dusty and Amy. Talk about cool <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 01:56 PM

It was an honor to talk to you all.. I was able to hear Dusty running to the other room, your iSight mic was really good .<br><br>It would also be nice if I can use Skype to dial toll-free numbers, but I think it requires a deposit into my SkypeOut account and will pay for toll-free calls as if they were local US calls.. Still good to have the access.<br><br>[color:blue].........................................<br>Loading, please wait...</font color=blue>

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 02:50 PM

I had an audio iChat with Ivan (Iraszl) the other day, and except for a bit of a delay, the quality was good. I have a 3 Mbps cable connection and he has a 256Kbps DSL connection. We had a couple of slight drop-outs over the course of 45 minutes or so, but over all, it worked well. It was the first time I've done an audio chat with anyone outside of the US.<br><br>I'm wondering if Skype has higher quality or less latency?<br><br>The only chink with Skype is that in order to use it, both parties have to D/L install and register it, while almost everybody already has either AIM or iChat.<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 03:16 PM

The added value points (I perceive) of Skype over AIM/iChat are:<br>1. The computer to telephone feature..<br>2. With monitored internet services like ours here, we go over proxies, and iChat voice does not work very well with that. However, Skype worked fine..<br><br>[color:blue].........................................<br>Loading, please wait...</font color=blue>

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 11:11 PM

So has anyone tried using a headset for a phone on a Mac? I just bought one to use with my cordless phone.<br><br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 11:24 PM

I'm lost here. How do you guys play with your computers, listen to your iPods, watch TV and talk on the phone all at the same time. I mean, I've heard of multitasking but...<br><br><br><br>

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 11:28 PM

I read a book too.<br><br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Skype - 01/02/05 11:34 PM

Hahahahaha...I believe it!<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Skype - 01/03/05 07:26 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The only annoyance that you'd have to get used to is that you have to dial the area code, even if you're only calling next door or across the street.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Not a big deal, I've had to dial the area code for everything for about a decade now.<br><br>
Posted by: Krasni

Re: Skype - 03/21/05 05:23 AM

So, I'm using it and works fine. Well, well, now my phone bill wil dramatically decrease, I was spending lots of money with calls in Spain.<br><br><br>

Re: Skype - 03/21/05 06:28 AM

Thanks Ana. I should see if I could get my Mom to get it.<br><br>
Posted by: Krasni

Re: Skype - 03/21/05 07:16 AM

Barb will like it, the sound quality is very good.<br><br><br>