Tissue Regeneration

Posted by: lesh

Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 10:54 AM

Not for the squeamish<br><br>Anyone know how long it takes for fingernails to grow in?<br><br>I managed to hurt myself pretty good last night - I was finishing up dinner prep - in a hurry chopping scallions and forgetting to tuck my fingertips under - having a slight difference of opinion about about how each of us voted on a particular state referenda from Tuesday's ballot - (see - I do discuss politics sometimes) - and the next thing I know the menu's been changed to Leslie sashimi. My reaction time was good - got pressure on it right away but I had to get my hubby to look how much of my finger I had left behind on the cutting board - without him going into shock - cause he does that very easily. Anyway - long story short - I very cleanly had sliced off most of my index fingernail. Not too bloody but it hurts like a you-know-what today. How long is going to be before I get my nail back and is there anything I can do to help the process along?<br><br><br><br>(If you notice a change in the number of typos in my posts for a while - now you know why.)<br><br>owie... *sniff, sniff, whimper* <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 10:59 AM

You know, you could have put that 'not for the squeamish' thing in the subject heading..<br><br>Every time I hear about slicing up fingers, I always flash back to my senior year of college when I slipped with the Exacto knife and got blood all over one of my portfolio piece..<br><br>I literally shudder because I remember that pain...<br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:09 AM

Usually takes a few weeks or longer for the nail to completely grow back... best to keep it covered just to keep from rubbing the soft skin where the nail normally covers. It shouldn't hurt, but it will be annoying as hell for a while.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: carp

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:10 AM

Mine took about 6 to 8 weeks for a full nail.<br>The pain should ease in about a week.<br><br>My understanding is that it heals faster when its kept dry so after its stops bleeding remove the bandage as much as possible like after work.<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:21 AM

Ooooooooo... ***Goose bumps all over***<br>This reminds me of a clip from the movie UHF, when Emo Philips chopped off his finger and a fountain of blood started sprinkling all over.. <br><br>Get well soon Lesh..<br><br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:24 AM

Oh YUCK...now my stomach feels sick...<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:26 AM

About a month and a half or so sounds right. I hope you're medicating your pain centers!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:35 AM

at least she didn't post photos of a bloody stump like someone we all know that used to visit MC!!! <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:36 AM

Thats nothing you should see some of the stuff that happens on constrction sites.<br><br>Once this guy cuts 4 fingers off with a saw, they fell into the holes in the CMU "cement blocks". He stood there asking me to help him find his fingers. Another guy almost cut his leg clean off right after I asked him if he knew how to use a saw, he said "I sure do I worked in a saw mill for 5 years". 1 minute later ZING = f___king idiot.<br><br>

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:37 AM

Hey Giz<br>You look better clean.<br><br>

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:40 AM

<br><br>

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 11:51 AM

Yeah... my wife likes me better that way too... but damn shaving sucks!!! Especially for an Irish-Italian like me... rough beard!!!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: Lori

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 12:04 PM

<br><br>
Posted by: turd38

OUCH! - 11/07/02 12:10 PM

Purchase an aloe plant.. as large as possible. Break a section from the end of a "leaf" (it will regenerate over time) and liberally squeeze the contents onto the wound, making sure to cover the actual scar area. Repeat this process daily until entire area is healed.<br><br>Aloe will speed healing and diminish, if not eradicate, scarification. Also excellent for burns and scrapes.<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 12:14 PM

Thanks all - I am feeling less pain now - ain't pharmaceuticals grand? Of course all the rest of the gross stories and pics in this thread make me feel like Lori's emoticon.<br><br>I was afraid it was going to be a long regrowth period...<br><br>

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 12:17 PM

For a second, I thought Robert Wagner was doing ads for .mac!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 12:30 PM

I agree with your wife.<br><br>I shave twice a day, well the second time is if I am going out on the town.<br>You will get used to shaving.<br><br>For me I just feel cleaner, I don't need to comb or trim facial hair. Besides the clean look, looks smarter.<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 12:38 PM

I slammed a car door on my thumb a couple of years ago and broke the nail right where it emerges from the skin. A new nail started growing at the break point and took at least four months to grow in fully. The old nail was still attached to the side so it was rather fascinating to watch both new and old nails grow out to the edge of my finger. Towards the end the old nail was down to a sliver and kept getting caught on things which hurt like a sumbitch so I had to put a bandaid around it until it finally fell off.<br><br>Have fun!<br><br>

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 12:48 PM

I am sooooooo lazy- I shave once a week- usually on Sunday or Monday, and basically I just trim down the goatee, and then the rest of the stubble on my face grows in around it..<br><br>The wives have great influence over that shaving, though- I get a LOT more attention right after I'm clean-shaven...<br><br>I just look like I'm 13 years old, though- I hate it.<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: MrsJonnyCat

Re: OUCH! - 11/07/02 01:26 PM

Yes, that is what I used to use for burns, cuts, etc. until my cats ate all of my aloe plants!<br><br>But it really does help speed up the healing process.<br><br>
Posted by: MrsJonnyCat

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 01:28 PM

OWE! I hope you have some pain pills for that.. It hurts just thinking about it and looking at the size of that blade! Good luck for a speedy healing process.<br><br>
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 01:53 PM

Maybe two months??<br><br>Get plenty of vitamines and minerals.. otherwise like me.. it'd take three months. Huh.<br><br>I used to have for a long time 19 nails beacause one fell off (no accident) and it took ages for it to grow back...<br><br><br><br>Giaguara<br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 05:18 PM

Two Hallowe'ens ago my son tried to chop his little finger off. Actually, he was carving a pumpkin with his Boy Scouts troop, and he carved himself instead. It all was taken care of pretty successfully, but boy oh boy were we all sucking a lot of air for a while.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 05:25 PM

Glad he's all better now.. I get that feeling everytime I see on my kids cut oranges on the cutting board in the kitchen.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/07/02 06:49 PM

Ouch, Lesh sorry about that. It looks scary. Hope they are taking care of you. It looks like it could be sore for a while.<br><br>The wine urges me on, the bewitching wine, which sets even a wise man to singing and to laughing gently and rouses him up to dance and brings forth words <br>which were better unspoken.<br>Homer
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Tissue Regeneration - 11/08/02 12:46 PM

It took me six months for my fingernail(s) to completely recover from being slammed in a car door. I only injured 1.5 of the nails.<br><br>I was getting out of the back seat of a car, going into a club for a bachelor party, when the guy in the front seat slammed the car door completely shut (on my hand). Good thing we'd been drinking.<br><br>----<br>S3V3N<br>Washington, DC USA