Ramadan

Posted by: walzuhair

Ramadan - 11/05/02 09:07 AM

Ramdan is less than 5 hours away, and we’re all excited about it. Ramadan is a lunar month that Muslims worldwide fast from dawn to sunset throughout its days.<br><br>Working hours change in Ramadan, mine are 9:30 - 15:30 instead of 8:30 - 5:30<br><br>Fasting is required for those who are 10 years old and on.. Those who are travelling, ill or can not fast can invite a poor person for a meal for every day they miss fasting, or can fast it later after Ramadan.<br><br>After Ramadan we celebrate “Eid” for 3 days. Kids have a blast in those days because they get to receive gifts from everybody, and we get a blast because it's an official holiday.<br><br>Let me walk you through a day of Ramadan:<br><br>04:00 We all wake up and have a light snack we call “Sohoor” since we must start fasting at dawn prayers.<br>04:40 Dawn prayers and fasting starts. It’s preferable to stay up reading Quran till sunrise, which is roughly an hour later.<br>11:40 Noon prayers.<br>14:45 Afternoon prayers.<br>17:10 Sunset prayers, and fasting of the day ends with a meal we call “Fotoor”.<br>19:10 Evening prayers, followed by optional prayers called “Taraweeh”.<br><br>Some other habits:<br>- The exchange of food items for “Fotoor” between neighbors.<br>- The invitation of friends and relatives over for “Fotoor”<br>- Making a public meal for those who can not afford one near the main mosque of every neighborhood. Almost everybody in the neighborhood contributes in that public buffet.<br>- Visiting friends and relatives after the evening prayers.<br><br>And now to answer some question.. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 09:12 AM

Let me ask the obvious question: don't you get weak/dizzy from lack of food all day? If I miss lunch, the result is almost always a headache, dizziness, and so on. Do you take it easier than you would otherwise--and not just the different work hours, but generally?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 09:27 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>the result is almost always a headache, dizziness, and so on<p><hr></blockquote><p>That's normal in the first couple of days, but then it fades away.. The problems increase with smokers and coffee/tea addicts..<br><br>As for taking work easier, mostly yes.. But I can not say the same for those mighty poeple in constructions or field jobs.<br><br>
Posted by: turd38

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 09:33 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this intriguing information. I have had a few Muslim friends in the past and was always amazed and impressed with their passion and dedication to their religious practices. You are to be commended.<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 09:47 AM

Thank you for your kind words turd38.. You should invade some of your friends houses at sunset and try out some of the food.. Man, talk about huge quantities and varieties..<br><br>
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 09:54 AM

i noticed in UK there were a lot moslems where i worked.. so it didnt pass unobserved. i noticed there were a lot of them working in night shift then.. hehe. (so no diff when sleeping th days)<br><br>i asked some of them how they celebrate (my brain is off.. cant find a better word now, i think celbrate is ok..) it and found there are big regional differences.<br><br>never had a ramadan, as not being a moslem.. but won't be a problem really. often i did something near ly like (only as t he part of not eating, exluding the religion etc) when i lived in the equator, so .. breakfast early, then to work and next time ate after 8 pm.. (sun constanly 6 am- 6pm) .. just get used to it...<br><br>hey, have a great ramadan!! <br><br>post some ideas during it.. how's it going and what special things happen around... ;)<br><br>:)<br><br><br><br>Giaguara<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Giaguara on 11/05/02 12:56 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 09:56 AM

That would be my question. I would like to know the foods you have for your two meals, Sahoor and Fotoor.<br>thank you so much for sharing with us your customs.<br>Your new sig is quite beautiful. Is that a symbol for the Ramadan?<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 09:58 AM

funny you mention it, I was just thinking the same thing. I can only imagine the spread after sunset. Fasting for the entire day must make the food even more savary. Unforunately I love food too much to ever fast <br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 10:18 AM

I can't send you a card because you don't have an email address, so here is one for you and your family.<br><br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 11:02 AM

You can eat anything you like, there's nothing specific. We traditionally start the meal by eating some date:<br><br><br><br>But some of the common dishes for Fotoor are:<br><br>Starters:<br>Soup: tomato, lentil, oat, … etc.<br>Samboosa: crisp pastry filled with vegetables, cheese & mint leave, or minced meat. <br>Kubba (or Kebbi in Lebanon): ground wheat filled with minced meat.<br><br>Main:<br>Harees: Whole wheat cooked with red meat and salt. Then served with a dressing of sugar and cinnamon.<br>Jereesh: First, boil chicken and then cut it in stripes. Then mix with whole wheat cooked with onions, tomato and spices. Last, mix well in a blender and serve with a dressing of diced fried onions.<br><br>Kabsa: First, boil chicken or mutton, then fry the for a couple of minutes. Then use the chicken or mutton remaining soup to cook rise.<br><br><br>Gersan: boil chicken or mutton with tomato, onions, potatos (+more veggies) and tomato paste. Then cut the Gersan (thin bread) to 2x2 inch squares and place them in a casserole. Pour the meat with its soup on top of it and serve.<br><br>Dessert:<br>Legaimat: A mix of flour, water, salt & yeast to a thick liquid. Leave for 1 hour. Then, use a tablespoon to pour into a deep fryer. The objective is to get golden color lumps slightly smaller than Ping-Pong balls. After straining the Legaimat, place them in cold sweet syrup for a minute then serve on a place. The syrup is made by boiling water, sugar, saffron, cadmium & a tablespoon of lemon juice, then leave to cool down or put in the fridge.<br>Mahalbeya: A mix of milk, sugar, starch, and ground cadmium. Stir continuously in a pot on the stove until it thickens. Then pour into small bowls and leave to cool. Served cold and garnished with pistachio. <br><br><br>Basboosa: Mix semolina, sugar, yogurt drink & baking powder. Garnish with almonds and Bake like cake. Before serving, pour some sweet syrup on it.<br><br><br>This site has lots of goodies.. Try it out and let me know if you need clarifications or detailed recipes of other stuff <br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 11:09 AM

How sweet of you.. Thanks Lori<br>The kids are sleeping, but I showed your post to my wife and she thanks you too.<br><br>I removed my email to avoid spam-email.. <br><br>Oh, and that green signature is some calligraphy that wishes the reader a blessed and generous Ramadan.<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by walzuhair on 11/05/02 02:19 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 11:22 AM

I don't have much to say except to say I have learned so much about your culture and life. Thank you for sharing that with us. You and your family have a special place in my heart. I look forward to viewing your posts because they are special. Thanks again!<br><br>TK<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 11:29 AM

Thank you very much for your kind and sincere words Mcteak.. I'm speechless <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by walzuhair on 11/05/02 02:30 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 11:54 AM

Thanks for posting that yummy food. I went to the link for the Arabic Slice, and found some nice and easy recipes. I am going to try some out.<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 12:17 PM

Some more hard core dishes here.. This time Saudi Arabian, not general Arabic:<br>http://members.aol.com/JAlmansur/saudi_recipes.htm<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 02:24 PM

Thanks Walzuhair! Very interesting to read an "insiders" knowledge about Ramadan and the islamic faith.<br><br>I remember being in Saudi Arabia during Ramadan and wow...at night talk about fun! Tons of food! I surely do miss the guys I met there. <br><br>And I wish I knew how to type out the words I learned while in Turkey and Saudi. I can say it easier than type it....the one that means "May Allah (God) go with you" or something to that effect sounds like this...(bear with me) ..uh..nevermind LOL I typed it out and I'm <br><br>Happy Ramadan and please tell your family Hello! <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 02:27 PM

My question is;<br>What food and beverage is forbiden??<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 03:26 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>"May Allah (God) go with you"<p><hr></blockquote><p>That would be "Allah ma'ak", I think...<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 03:37 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>What food and beverage is forbiden??<p><hr></blockquote><p>Forbidden foods:<br>- Blood<br>- Pork<br>- Dead animals (corpse)<br>- Wild beasts (cannibals like lions, tigers, ..etc.)<br><br>Forbidden beverages:<br>Anything that causes a person to be sedated like alcoholic beverages, regardless of the quantity. So, if I need 1000 liters of beer to knock me off, then even tasting a drop of it is forbidden.<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 03:45 PM

Dead animals (corpse)<br><br>Whats with the chicken and lamb??? Just asking I like to know.<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 03:55 PM

If they died by natural causes or killed by a cannibal (other than hunting dogs or hawks), then they are forbidden food. They have to be slaughtered according to the Islamic regulations, which sets standards on the tools used, how they are used, and the condition of the animal/bird at the time of slaughter. It’s important that the animal/bird does not know what’s about to happen or sees another animal/bird being slaughtered.<br><br>I forgot one more type, domesticated animals.<br><br>
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 04:04 PM

My best wishes of good health, prosperity and happiness to your family.<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 04:55 PM

Thanks<br>That answer says alot.<br>I knew there was some sort of restriction about eating meat but that was never laid in front of me by a muslem. The information I got was all from reporters or editors.<br><br>Thanks for the clarefication.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 07:51 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your special time. It is interesting and something nice I never would know of otherwise. Your posts help bring the world a little closer together. I hope your celebration every year is better than the last.<br>Peace<br><br>The wine urges me on, the bewitching wine, which sets even a wise man to singing and to laughing gently and rouses him up to dance and brings forth words <br>which were better unspoken.<br>Homer
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Ramadan - 11/05/02 07:58 PM

Thanks for sharing a part of your culture with us! I also went to the link you gave us for the recipes and made Baklava and Batinjan and it was great! <br><br><br>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 02:30 AM

Wow, the whole thread is very interesting and educational. Looks tasty, too, in certain messages. <br><br>While I don't usually associate my eating behaviors with any particular ritual, other than respect for the food and the world which yielded it to me, I typically eat only one meal a day. Not a rule; just kind of the way it works out for me, and always has. But I will snack on whole-wheat crackers or other snacks, preferably healthy ones, if I start getting a hunger headache, or just hungry for that matter. Not a stranger to fasting for ritual and health purposes, I've enjoyed the heightened senses it creates, and the introspection. <br><br>Reading about Ramadan does make me long for a time when our country placed more value on ritual, fasting, and feasting. It also causes me to pray that this country in which I live does not force its lifestyle on more countries, and that others can resist the self-indulgence with which it tempts one. But that brings up a lot of things I'd rather not discuss right now. It's Ramadan, and it would be nice to keep the focus on your culture and rituals. Thank you for giving us the chance to learn. <br><br>I love the green signature picture, by the way. It's quite beautiful.<br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff
Posted by: Krasni

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 03:27 AM

Thanks, it's very interesting. I've been in Maroc during Ramadan and, as a sign of respect asked my boyfriend not to smoke or at least not to do it in the street. We were ashamed to eat while the rest of the people didn't, so we fasted as everybody.<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 03:46 AM

Having dealt with languages...I find those that can migrate between English and Arabic a rare find. <br><br>It took a major effort for me to learn Cyrillic linguistics for the “Old Days”...the fact that you can switch between two difficult languages is very enviable.<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 06:08 AM

It's the same among Arab countries too, not all Muslims in all Arab countries follow what I just described. There are those who practice and those who choose not to, but the majority does during Ramadan. At the end, it remains a personal preference.<br><br>There are positives and negatives in every community, and there is still more good than bad in all communities. We just need to do our best to bring it out in ourselves, loved ones, neighborhoods, schools, and slowly increase the circle of influence to cover the entire world. I just hope it happens when I’m around to witness it <br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 06:10 AM

È molto gentile di voi rispettare le sensibilità di altre che il senso voi. Grazie.<br><br>I hope Sherlock got it right <br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 06:13 AM

Very enviable? <br>That's way too kind.. I give the credit to my teachers..<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 09:00 AM

My very best wishes to you and your family also. Your posts have been very enlightening and I appreciate your<br>insight. <br><br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 09:22 AM

Thank you for sharing all this with us Walzuhair - this is fascinating. I don't know what the traditional Ramadan good wishes are - but from my heart I send you and your family a wish of peace and love and good health!<br><br>And being the foodie and good cook that I am - I'm going to try some of the Saudi Arabian recipes you gave links for.<br><br>[color:blue]Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.<br>Robert Fripp</font color=blue>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 03:21 PM

This has been a very educational thread! Thanks for sharing Walz!!!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 04:06 PM

You are making me hungry! Everything you have described sounds delicious. <br><br>And thanks for the overall insight into your celebration of Ramadan. <br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 04:18 PM

Thank you for your lovely post. I work with several persons of your faith. I'm always interested in discussing different customs with them. I have enjoyed many of their foods which they have brought into work at other times of year. yummy. <br><br>
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Ramadan - 11/06/02 07:18 PM

Huh.. sherlock gives only headache ;)<br><br>Walzu could you post some ramadan greetings??<br>In English .. and if you manage to post in arabic..(huh?) with instructions who to pronounce as well..<br><br>Buon Ramadan!! =D<br><br><br><br>Giaguara<br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/07/02 04:44 AM

I’d like to thank you all for your wonderful greetings and comments; you’ve all been overwhelmingly nice.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Ramadan - 11/07/02 06:11 AM

Thanks for the nice thread. Walzuhair allow me to bring up an issue that I always wanted to know a muslims opinion on, but was afraid to ask. Is it true that when breaking the fast and throughout the night one shoudn't eat too much and shouldn't make up for the whole day of fasting. I heard that the whole point of fasting is to feel how the poor people live and experince lack of food and water, so that after Ramadan one can be more compassionate towards the one in need.<br><br>That's not happening, at least not in Bahrain. Actually it's the opposite. Lot of people put up wheight during Ramadan, which is topped with 3 days of Eid.<br><br>This should be a major concern, because as I know (practicing natural bodybuilding) when you're hungry for longer period of time a substance called Cortisol develops in the body. Cortisol is responsible to build up fat when the body gets to a source of food. This system has developed back when we were cavemans (i know muslims don't beleive in Darwin's theory) and the body had to be protected against possible famines. Basically what I'm saying is that during the day the fasting person develops Cortisol, and during the night it will make our body lay down energy supplies (fat) from the food which is not going to used up, because of continous supply of food during the night.<br><br>By the way, although I brought up this issue, I do enjoy the tempting Ramadan tents with Sisha (water pipe) and calming fun atmosphere. I'm only concerned about people's health.<br><br>http://raszl.net

Re: Ramadan - 11/07/02 08:57 AM

That’s all 100% correct iraszl. You captured the main goal of Ramadan, feeling how blessed we are with goodies compared to many other unfortunate people.<br><br>Unfortunately, healthy eating habits are not very well known to many people in the world. Among the bad habits of Ramadan is the change in sleeping habits, the majority stay awake till dawn prayers and then sleep throughout the day waiting for sunset. I remember we had visitors a couple of years ago that came in past midnight for a social visit and they were shocked when I told them to come back in the morning when we’re not sleeping <br><br>Shisha (water pipe) is another bad smoking habit that has nothing to do with Ramadan , but they decorate tents in Arabic mosaic and calligraphy that make it seem related <br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: Ramadan - 11/07/02 09:52 PM

Hey, so enjoyed reading your words of you and your beautiful family's celebration of Ramadan! I have your wonderful moon picture on my desktop to remind me of all of you each time I turn on my puter. May joy and happiness follow you and yours in this special time. I also enjoyed hearing you and your family on the voice message you sent. I saw where you explained your new beautiful picture, until then I thought it was your interpretation of the moon picture you sent!! I love the blue and the green. Your talent is awesome! Peace, : )<br><br>

Re: Ramadan - 11/08/02 12:36 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Your talent is awesome!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Thank you for your kindness.. The calligraphy artwork is not mine, I just picked it up from the internet..<br><br>