build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can

Posted by: Anonymous

build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 12:45 AM

o'reilly network has a great article on building a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can for about $10. <br><br>has anyone tried this?<br><br>www.clubmedia.com<br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 02:57 AM

Nope. Not me.<br><br>
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 03:39 AM

me neither.<br>what do i need an antenna fot?<br>internet radio, man...<br><br><br><br>Giaguara<br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 03:58 AM

Not enough chips in a Pringles can what about a large potato chip bag <br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 04:50 AM

Saw that on the ScreenSavers last night...also showed one made from a coffee can. They stated you could direct the signal up to two miles with the coffee can. The also showed a commercial one that sold for about $4-500. Would think you would have to have a clear line of sight for them to work.<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 05:34 AM

Doesn't have to be line of site. I use a Lucent technologies to boost my airport base station. Without boost it will go through about three cinderblock walls in the lab. With the boost it will go through about six. At home the signal will pass through half of my house, through my cross the street neighbors house and be picked up in his backyard. (Just testing).<br>one wall in the lab has iron pillars which hold up the building. It can't get around that.<br><br>

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 05:37 AM

"A Lucent Technologies " to boost. Which one. I need the range.<br>Thanks<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 06:27 AM

MSN recommends two soup cans and some string just to get their service to work at all! <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 06:31 AM

Range Extender Antenna from Lucent Technologies. I just did a search and found this http://devices.planet-wireless.de/reant/ Which has a picture of the ones I bought three years ago. That page says "Agere formely Lucent" and another page calls the company "Orinoco". Someone either got bought out or bought the technology or different countries deal with different sources.<br>A stat on that page says,"boosts signal by 15-25%" which doesn't sound like much. Completely unscientific I seem to get at least double the distance. Biggest differnce may be that once I got the antenna I mounted it up high away from other electronics. At the lab it is poking out of the ceiling in the hallway and at home it is up in the attic.<br>Stands about 8x1 inch tall white plastic on a round black base.<br><br><br>

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 06:42 AM

Thanks, Poly.<br>Mine is in the attic and equal distance from wife's cube and kitchen iMac. I just needed about 10 ft either way. The kitchen mac picked up the signal if it was on the floor, in the doorway,lol. Not a handy place.<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 06:45 AM

Here is what the can one looks like, hence thinking line of site...the real one looks more like a real antenna though.<br><br><br>

Re: build a wi-fi antenna with a pringles can - 11/05/02 08:09 AM

Line of site helps. There is an internet story of an Aussie who built a pringles can one but he jacked it up with a few more pringles. On his ranch or something he got 10 kilometers while aiming.<br><br>
Posted by: Shooshie

The funny thing, history repeats itself... - 11/06/02 02:04 AM

Not so many years ago, we connected two tin cans with a long piece of string, pulled it tight, and would take turns saying, "hello? Can you hear this?" It was exciting when you actually could hear someone talking this way. <br><br>Now it seems we're doing it again; this time without the string, or rather, with an electromagnetic string. <br><br>Hello? Getting signal yet?<br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff