Ok, I'm lazy...

Posted by: DaddyMac

Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 07:16 AM

..and never claimed to be otherwise, but can someone give me the jist of what this whole MP3 thing is?<br><br>I mean, I read Stan's post but I'm afraid I got too behind in MCF to dig up just what the heck all the fuss was about.<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 07:49 AM

Don't post MP3 files of commercial music here... the legal issues are to blame. You can use a song in the background of a video, but don't post it here where anyone on the net can simply download it (as in Napster). <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 08:23 AM

And people are upset that we can't?<br><br>Seems like that issue was going to surface sooner or later ANYWAY...<br><br>After all, I'm sure we wouldn't want MCF or MM shut down over this...<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 08:57 AM

I'm not exactly sure WHY people are upset... some probably that they can't post them, some are upset at Akula for even bringing it up to begin with, and some (like me) are upset that a simple little thing that really wasn't that big of a deal to begin with got turned into such a big [censored]-storm!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 09:28 AM

Why did people have to post entire songs on a message board anyway?<br><br>If I wanted someone to hear a sample of a new song I was digging, I'd send em' over to the page on Amazon or CDnow with the RealPlayer clips...<br><br>And I was into trading MP3's online, I CERTAINLY wouldn't do it in the public space of a forum or otherwise...<br><br>IMHO, Akula just seems like he enjoys being the rain on the proverbial parade all the time anyway...<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 10:02 AM

For me its the principle.<br>MM is not to bad when it comes to MP3s in fact its way less here then over at MC. There was a few that would do daily posting of songs, that is a bit much but as usual it comes in spirts sooner then later they would stop and move on to something else.<br><br>Its one of those things that is better left unsaid. If RIAA or others felt so concerend about it they would have sent a warning to MC and MM asking them to stop the pratice. Thats when MM or MC would have then ban the postings. That is to say IF they would ever send the warnings. After all there is sites like LimeWire that is blantant sharing.<br><br>Its their boards we have to follow their rules.<br><br>

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 10:26 AM

Yeah, I hear ya.<br><br>If it was something I did and people said I couldn't, it would cheese me off too...<br><br>Just seems like anyone who feels they have to 'report us' or bring the issue to the board moderator's attention is akin to the kid back in gradeschool who reminded the teacher that we didn't get our homework yet...<br><br>Rock on!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 10:32 AM

What's next...Hall Monitors?<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 10:51 AM

"Where is you hall pass!?"<br><br>

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 10:56 AM

Right greenme1<br><br>Ask him for:<br>His passport and papers NOW!<br><br>

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 11:57 AM

OK guys...I'am sorry, I was typing it on my PC and wham Blue Screen...lost it all, really!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 01:26 PM

Hall monitors will be introduced into the forum... just as soon as Stan builds some halls to monitor! <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 01:39 PM

Will they get to wear one of those cool reflective belts with a badge and carry a whistle!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 01:52 PM

as a side note, Limewire is not a "site". It's P2P file sharing....and I'm sure one of these days it's number is gonna come up. But it's harder to get those I guess...but I have no knowledge on how they go about catching them.<br><br>Heck, look what happened to Napster and now Kazaa and others on the Windows side.<br><br>

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 02:27 PM

I know its not a site I just could not find that P2P file sharing in my head at the time.<br><br>But it's harder to get those I guess...but I have no knowledge on how they go about catching them.<br><br>Good question - I consider LimeWire and the other P2P just the same as Napster. I would think and maybe sross can shed some lite on this. When Napster was shut down so all the other P2Ps would have to follow the same ruling on that issue?? I guess not.<br><br>

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 02:35 PM

I didn't think that was the case- the ruling was against Napster the company, and not against all file sharing in general.<br><br>They would basically have to outlaw MP3 sharing and make it so that anyone caught doing so will have their equipment confiscated or something...<br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 02:39 PM

Napster was an actual site, but P2P is not. Any computer can become one of the "points" in the P2P architecture. That's why it's much harder to shut down something like Limewire--there's not specific spot to shut down. I guess the companies could go after the makers of the software that makes P2P possible, but we all know that once the software is out there, it'll be shared regardless of whether some company is making it.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 03:32 PM

I think your right yoyo.<br>Napster not only provided the software but they also used Napster owned servers. It think that the Napster hardware is what got them to closed their doors. Still LimeWire does offer the means to download and they are selling a Pro version of LimeWire.<br><br>

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 03:56 PM

Where they will fail to kill Limewire is that they are simply offering another way of doing what you can already do with your built in FileSharing... <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 03:58 PM

The next move would be getting the ISP's repoting who is downloading mp3 files and ect<br><br>Don't eat my french fries they are copyrighted<br>not for public consumption

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 04:18 PM

Where they will fail to kill Limewire is that they are simply offering another way of doing what you can already do with your built in FileSharing... <br><br>Thats my point<br>So why does MM and MC are worried about it. They don't offer the software for people to search for MP3s and they are not making a profit off of the downloads. They both are offering news information and a forum service.<br><br>Sure some members post MP3s and images - Certainly MC and MM is not widely know as a place to go and steal copyrighted materials.<br>Big difference.<br><br>Conversly.<br>The Apple iPod has sharing blocking abilities and will soon becoming to a computer near you.<br><br>

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 05:31 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The next move would be getting the ISP's repoting who is downloading mp3 files and ect<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>don't go give them any ideas, Swatcat. They are watching <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 05:32 PM

They already tried with Earthlink who refused<br><br>Don't eat my french fries they are copyrighted<br>not for public consumption

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 05:34 PM

Good for Earthlink. But it's like MS and Connecticut--pretty soon, RIAA will buy Earthlink. Let's face it, copyright is going to kill the web.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 05:36 PM

That willbe the end of the web as we know it no freedom<br><br>Don't eat my french fries they are copyrighted<br>not for public consumption

Re: Ok, I'm lazy... - 11/04/02 08:01 PM

LOL... these copyright laws haven't changed in years... they were around before the web was even a dream... it's just that with the explosion of users on the web, as well as the growing availability of broadband, that it is starting to catch the eye of these companies.<br><br>Everyone is blowing this way out of proportion and quite frankly it's getting old faster than a lurkers thread on a busy posting day!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!