MS Settlement

Posted by: yoyo52

MS Settlement - 11/01/02 10:42 PM

I'm bummed by the whole business of the settlement, but this really takes the grand prize for tomfoolery:<br><br>"The decision eliminates the establishment of a technical committee to assess Microsoft's compliance with the agreement. In its place, a corporate compliance committee -- consisting of Microsoft board members -- will make sure Microsoft lives up to the deal, the judge said."<br><br>I guess this judge has never heard of foxes guarding chicken coops?<br><br>What I don't get is how the US can be so willing to have MS continue to dominate. To get an interesting contrast, read this story from The Register, about the govenment of Namibia rejecting an MS offer for "free stuff" because someone actually sat down and figures out that the "free stuff" would end up forcing Namibia to spend something like 15 times the value of what MS was so willing to "give." No one over here seems to have that much sense.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: MS Settlement - 11/02/02 09:19 AM

While the outcome was expected, it's truly disheartening why there is not more of an uproar about this. One of the talking heads on CNN suggested that "now Microsoft will be finally free to innovate." ...that reads continue to steal and disembowel their competition in my book. A switch to Fox news was a little more encouraging where Judge Star bemoaned the ruling and all but assured that he and his colleagues would be filing appeals. We'll see what we shall see... <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: MS Settlement - 11/02/02 10:56 AM

This decision by the courts is rivaled only by the OJ Simpson Jury's decision as far as stupidity goes. They just gave MS a license to screw the entire world!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: MS Settlement - 11/02/02 11:29 AM

Not at all, MacGizmo. Why, MS itself said it was a tough but fair decision!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"