iPhoto... my first big print

Posted by: MacGizmo

iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 09:14 AM

I just used iPhoto to order prints this morning. It was my first time. I've been reading a lot on the Apple Discussion boards about all the problems uploading pics. I had the same problem. I had 12 pics to order and it kept quitting before they were all uploaded, so the order never went through. The solution was to order less pictures at a time (less different pictures, that is).<br><br>I still have around 95 or more of my free 4x6 photos to use up, but I chose to try the large 16x20 inch photo. Rather than making it one giant photo, I used photoshop to make a poster of a bunch of smaller pics with my sister Kate as the subject. If it turns out good, I plan to give one to my sister Kelley and Kate's son Jason so that he can always remember what his momma looked like.<br><br>Here is a smaller version of what it (hopefully) will look like.<br><br><br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 10:03 AM

A very nice arrangement of the photos .<br>Im sure they will appreciate them very much.<br>She was beautiful woman,what a great loss to you and your family and her son<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Wonderful! - 10/31/02 10:17 AM

Her son will surely value that more and more as he grows up.<br><br>Brought a thought to mind. Wonder if someone has a web business doing photo groupings like that? Would be neat to have one of my mother's family at different ages. There were 11 of them. Another of dad's family. Sure would be more interesting to hang on a wall than the old single large ornate frame of grandma.<br><br>Must be a lot of folks who'd buy such a thing and do not have a computer or the applications and skill to do one themselves.<br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 10:18 AM

That is so honoring to your sister and family. What a neat way to utilize your Mac resources.<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 10:22 AM

That is really nice Gizmo. Please let us know how Apple does with it.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 10:24 AM

A great gift to your nephew, MacGizmo. He'll value it more and more as time passes.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 10:59 AM

God, I don't know how you made it through working on that without breaking down every 5 minutes....I know that right after my grandfather died people wanted photos scanned, printed, etc.- and I just couldn't handle it on some days...<br><br><br>Good work...<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 11:00 AM

Yes, I certainly will let you all know how the quality comes out on the prints. The original file was created at 95dpi at 16x20 inches (1520x1900 pixels) so that they wouldn't have to resize it. I also left a quarter inch white margin all the way around for safety. We shall see how it goes.<br><br>I just received a confirmation e-mail from Apple about my order. If you choose standard shipping, they use the US Post Office for shipping... I'm wondering how they ship that 16x20 (flat or rolled in a tube).<br><br>I will post results/opinions as soon as I get them.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 11:08 AM

Well, I'm sure you can tell that normally that entire poster could be put together in about 15 minutes (1/2 hour including scan time), so as I mentioned... it took me all day. Sometimes I didn't know weather to cry or smile. The pictures of her at my wedding were particularly difficult to look at - Especially the one of her catching my wife's bouquet.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 11:30 AM

A lovely collection; thatís very kind and considerate of you uncle J.. I especially like the largest black & white frame, very sincere (for lack of a better word).<br><br>Itís interesting to know how is a 16x20 printed from the digital source. I understood they used a dye-sublimation printer for smaller dimensions, but I doubt the mechanism exists for such a large size.<br><br>A question on the resolution, isnít 95dpi considered too low for printing?<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 12:05 PM

A beautiful tribute for the memory of a beautiful sister - nicely done, Jim.<br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red>

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 01:16 PM

95dpi would be way too small for commercial printing, but these inkjets and dye subs rarely require more dpi than 72... in fact, billboards here in the US sometimes use resolutions as low as 9-20dpi... afterall, you are hundreds of feet away when you see it.<br><br>I'll let you all know how it turns out.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: sean

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 01:46 PM

i ordered a poster the same size (1 photo) and it arrived in a tube - lightly rolled). i placed it in a frame with glass and it looks absolutely beautiful. additionally, the quality was outstanding. i hope yours turns out nicely as well.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 01:54 PM

That's good to know. I'm considering getting a large print done for an xmas gift.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 02:50 PM

Wow..that's awesome. Very good thing to get for her son.<br><br>I have seen an iBook "book" and they are very nice. <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 06:43 PM

Beautiful Giz, I was trying to show it to Rick and of course get choked up again. I'll bet it was mixed feelings for you. Sorrow for the loss and satisfaction of doing something worthwhile for you<br>r family. I love the black and whites. They are always so dramatic. Those are gorgeous pictures of Kate.<br><br><br>The wine urges me on, the bewitching wine, which sets even a wise man to singing and to laughing gently and rouses him up to dance and brings forth words <br>which were better unspoken.<br>Homer
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 07:34 PM

Very nice layout, I am sure it will be treasured forever. <br><br>We recently took advantage of the 100 free prints offer, they turned out very nicely. No problems with ordering them either, each one was different and we uploaded all 100 at once with Airport on the old iBook. Guess we lucked out.<br><br>Anyway, I am certain you will be pleased with the 16X20 print. <br><br>It's good to see you posting a lot, just like the Gizmo we know, although I realize you can never be the same after the loss you experienced. <br><br>

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 10/31/02 08:19 PM

Well, I'm trying to get back to normal. It's been slow-going.<br><br>I've also noticed you've been spending more time here lately... is that a temporary thing, or do you plan on coming around more often?<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: ChrisN

Hey Gizmo, - 11/01/02 11:31 AM

You gave me an idea. I'm thinking about doing a 16 x 20 collage for my daughters's upcoming birthday. What file format and resolution did you use for your 16 x 20? And, please do let us know how it turns out.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris<br><br><br>Light-Imagery <br><br>

Re: Hey Gizmo, - 11/01/02 11:44 AM

The original file was created at 95dpi at 16x20 inches (1520x1900 pixels) so that they wouldn't have to resize it. I also left a quarter inch white margin all the way around for safety. I had no reason to make it 95dpi rather than 72, it's just what I happened to have the resolution set at.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: iPhoto... my first big print - 11/01/02 01:30 PM

Hmm..did someone say Free?? <br><br>