You know what I noticed about some posters...?

Posted by: DaddyMac

You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 07:37 AM

...And this doesn't necessarily apply to anyone specific, but I am using specific examples to illustrate my point:<br><br>Did ya ever notice that when someone posts something specific- about say, sports or music or food, etc, other people will follow it up with these generalized, stereotyped, sometimes misinformed posts? I think that's what leads to a lot of bickering and misunderstandings- just my own personal theory...<br><br>Anyway, the examples that I've seen:<br><br>— A user such as myself posts a blurb about an athlete breaking a record, or a team winning an important game. What I get in response is NOT, "Hey, I saw that game too- that (fill in the blank) did a great job", or even "Did not see the game or the event but that IS some accomplishment"...<br><br>Instead, I very often get people's venom concerning pro athletes and either that they make too much money or they're all a bunch of criminals and drug addicts, and anyone who buys into the whole thing is a sucker.<br><br>— Or, classic example today- one of the members of Run DMC was shot dead in a studio today. A tragic occurance, but for some reason people felt the need to lump it in with ALL the gang-related violence and add it to the huge list of "what's wrong with rap"- (it's too vulgar, it promotes violence, yadda yadda yadda). The fact is that Run DMC's music NEVER promoted violence, and they were one of the founding members of the genre- when the worst lyrics you'd find in a rap song were those that 'dissed' fellow rappers... Not killing fellow rappers, mind you- just saying you were better than they were!<br><br>Now, I'm not saying people shouldn't post their opinions on any given topic– it's that very idea that keeps forums such as this and MCF alive & kicking!<br><br>I'm just wondering if sometimes people dive right into topics without knowing too much about it, or taking the stereotypical viewpoint more often than not..<br><br>thoughts?<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:01 AM

okay, i posted something that was a COMPLETE joke, but obviously didn't go over as well with DM (sorry). i removed it. my point was that he was complaining about people turning the most normal posts into negativity...just thought i'd pretend to do the same here. i mean, he ended with, "thoughts?" -- it was like a slow curve ball down the middle of the plate...i couldn't resist. <br><br>as you were folks. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sean on 10/31/02 11:25 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:06 AM

Even if you were kidding, why on earth was THAT necessary?<br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:06 AM

You've got just way too much time on your hands, man. Don't you have anything better to do that sit around and analyze what people post? It's people like you who . . . . <br><br>Is that what you mean? <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:11 AM

I just hate to see conflict and bickering when there is a post made about a relatively straight-forward topic such as those mentioned...<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:16 AM

I understand completely, DaddyMac. I think it's just that some people get up on the wrong side of the bed or something. I used to go to another forum--notMC, folks, so don't even begin --where the default response was like the one I put up in the first place. It didn't matter what the post was. Could have been "What a nice day," and without exception someone would start in with some provocation--"Oh, yeah, well what do you mean nice, anyway, don't you know that right now five people across the country are being ___________." You can fill in the blank with your favorite outrage. I stopped going there a long long time ago.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:20 AM

That's all I'm saying...sorry I had to do it in so many words...<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:22 AM

It's all part of the game my friend.... gotta take the bad with the good. I don't know which threads you are referring to, but many times, what you THINK the poster is trying to say, is not necessarily what he/she is ACTUALLY trying to say. Some people are only capable of posting the beginning of a thought and lose interest in it half-way through...<br><br><br>Um, what the hell was I talking about???<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:26 AM

You were talking about something, were you?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:58 AM

I dunno... the last thing I remembered was typing something like...<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 08:59 AM

Oh wait... now I remember. It was:<br><br>LURKERS... Post something dammit!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: lesh

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 09:04 AM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........<br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red>

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 09:09 AM

hehehehee.... OH YEAH!!!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 09:17 AM

Being the poster in question regarding the rap stuff, I've got to tell you that conversation goes where it will. When you post something, you merely suggest the train of thought. Each person then boards a different train. That's the beauty of conversation, though it can be the bane of it if you're surrounded by dolts. <br><br>My point about rapsters getting shot more often than people of any other music genre was on target. It doesn't matter if the guy who got shot was an angel; he's in a genre in the recording field in which the artists tend to live by violence, the music tends to suck and the lyrics tend to be about the worst of the worst. Of course there is good and bad rap, but I'm an industry insider. Let me tell you about the recording engineers who have sworn off rap. Let me tell you about the engineers who have had to do it against their will, and have nightmares about it. I'm not kidding you. I know a lot of studios that review the lyrics before signing a contract with rap groups. Rap groups are the ones most likely to bring gangsters into the studio and spread out the drugs and the hookers and expose the studio to risk. I know a guy who is an engineer who actually invested in several of his rap artists, two of whom went to #1 on the charts briefly (possibly more since I was around him), but who had to ban rap from his studio because it (the rapsters, the process, etc.) was driving him crazy and making him paranoid. My statement was not a misunderstanding of what was being talked about, but a deeper understanding of it than some people are willing to accept.<br><br>But regarding conversation in general... who can control the wind? Go with it.<br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 10:51 AM

Fair enough, but for that thread in particular, the artist in question was not representative of that whole violence/rap scene in question...<br><br>All I was saying is that it seems as if people tend to throw everything under the same umbrella sometimes...<br><br>Your thoughts on the subject are appreciated though- I didn't know that engineers had it so rough!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 11:44 AM

Ya big baby!<br><br>

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 11:46 AM

Because you're a big whiner, maybe.<br><br>

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 11:53 AM

Hey Dingus, when I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you...<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 11:56 AM

Well, the only way to truly avoid lame replies, like this one , is to never post anything at all. Or, you could try posting response guidelines with your topic starters, but that would probably go over like a fart in a space suit. <br><br>I remember hearing as a kid that even unwanted attention isn't all that bad. It's when they totally ignore you that you might have something to worry about. <br><br>Well, there it is, my potentially useless advice for the day. <br><br>Chris<br><br><br>Light-Imagery<br><br>

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 12:03 PM

When I want your opinion, I'll sit around waiting until hell freezes over while you forlornly attempt to construct a thought that isn't a big pout or an insipid, pollyanna worshipfest.

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 12:22 PM

Well, in response to ChrisN- I only defended myself in the same manner to which I was attacked...I wasn't completely serious, but for someone to come right out and call me a 'whiner', I thought, deserved an equally juvenile response.<br><br>To Dingus, congrats- you're now on my list of people I'm not going to bother with anymore!!!!<br><br>Go out and get yourself something nice, and send me the bill. Not.<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 12:32 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Your thoughts on the subject are appreciated though- I didn't know that engineers had it so rough!<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Let me tell you... you've only heard the rap music which has made it to the store shelves. You should hear some of the stuff that has been recorded, but (thank goodness) was never picked up by anyone. Someone has to record that crap. It's the audio equivalant (I can't bring myself to say "musical" equivalent) of the worst of perversions on film. One studio manager I know, a brilliant woman with immense patience, showed me some masters that were so horrible they were considering turning them over to the FBI. The rap artists didn't pay their bill, however, so she took the opportunity to use the wording in their contract, and after so many months of non-payment, she destroyed them. She was so thrilled that the masters were no longer in this world. Think rape, incest, child molestation, bondage, mutilation, satanism, and so forth, and you'll have some idea of what was on those tapes.<br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Re: You know what I noticed about some posters...? - 10/31/02 01:11 PM

I try to keep an open mind when it comes to music... but that stuff just has no place on my CD rack... or hard drive, as the case may be.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

trains - 11/02/02 06:33 AM

the music tends to suck and the lyrics tend to be about the worst of the worst..<br><br>Boarding a different, yet related train... I totally agree with your statement concerning rap. My question is why do people who play it at window rattling volumes in public have the need to be so "in your face" about it?<br><br>When I worked in the cash office of a local supermarket I had to go outside for my cigarette break. I was sitting on a bench, enjoying the sounds of the birds and the sunshine, relaxing... An enormous SUV pulled up directly in front of me with a couple in it. He parks in the "no parking - fire zone" and his lady companion gets out and goes into the store. The rap music was blasting throught the opened windows of his SUV so loudly that my chest was vibrating. <br><br>I sat there for a minute or two... then I got up and walked over to his window and stared at him until he turned to face me. Then I started screaming hysterically at him! I can't remember what I said, because it was in the heat of passion, but I basically told him that I hated rap music, I was trying to enjoy a hard-earned break, and who the f&$^ did he think he was to force it down my throat when I didn't want to hear the F$*$& garbage in the first place!!!! <br><br>He shut it off.<br><br>dreed<br><br><br><br>

Re: trains - 11/02/02 05:29 PM

and then you pulled your pistol, and... <br><br><br>;^)<br><br><br>That seems to be the emotion that the uglier rap inspires. <br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br><br>Shooshie's Stuff
Posted by: carp

Re: trains - 11/02/02 05:52 PM

dreed2<br>I see your point and I kinda feel the same way - in your face music, well if you call rap as being music.<br><br>Anyway there is a city ordinace here that prohibutes sound decibles not to execide a certain limit heard from so many feet from the source.<br><br>The law was place because of that very reason - try and imagine sitting on a peaceful beache and more then one vehicale pulls into the parking area playing different music at the same time turned all the way up the volume scale - and you can still hear it from a mile away.<br><br>No wounder those kids don't listen to their parents they simply cannot hear.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by carp on 11/02/02 08:53 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: iRock

Re: trains - 11/02/02 05:57 PM

No wounder those kids don't listen to their parents they simply cannot hear.<br>Carp, that is really funny, but the more I think about it, it's also profound.<br><br>The wine urges me on, the bewitching wine, which sets even a wise man to singing and to laughing gently and rouses him up to dance and brings forth words <br>which were better unspoken.<br>Homer

Re: trains - 11/02/02 08:29 PM

We have an ordinance too, carp, but cops pay no attention to it at all.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"