New OSX Theme

Posted by: MacGizmo

New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 07:32 AM

Rhapsodized - it looks very much like system 9, but much "cleaner"...<br>Check it out to see what I mean.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: sean

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 07:59 AM

i use candy bar to change the system icons and feel fairly comfortable doing this...what's the deal with these themes you are posting? are they safe? will they screw things up when i go from 10.2 to the next upgrade? are they easy to impement? start talking buddy. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 08:50 AM

I have found them to be quite safe, as have many others. All they do is replace the resource file that contains the "graphics" of the OS.<br><br>If you are running Jaguar 10.2, you will need Duality 3.1 and you can only use themes that are made for Jaguar. Older themes won't work - and Duality usually tells you that.<br><br>There are a lot of places to get themes, but the only ones I can think of off hand are:<br><br>http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/<br>http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/index_themes.htm<br>http://www.desktopper.net/theme/ Most updated, but in Japanese, translation available<br>http://www.interfacestudio.net/ (It's offline right now though)<br>http://swizcore.com/SS/macOSX.php<br>http://www.stretch.tc/aquaworld/themes/themes.html<br><br><br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 11:42 AM

Alumite X has been updated too. Still my fave. I would like to see a Jag update for Pez though.<br><br><br>Light-Imagery<br><br>

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 01:09 PM

Yeah, I still like Alumite, but have been using Brushed Metal for a while now... I always liked the brushed metal look!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 02:24 PM

Ok ok..how about some screenshots guys! The sites don't exactly show much..<br><br>I wanna see this brushed metal look, Jim.<br><br><br><br>

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 02:46 PM

I have a dual monitor setup, so I broke the picture into two parts so you could see it better.<br>Screen #1:<br><br><br><br>Screen #2<br><br><br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: morserj

Looks slick *NM* - 10/31/02 03:39 PM

<br><br>Ryan

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 03:59 PM

Looks cool..think I'll try it.<br><br>Great..try to download Duality, and I get this: Not Found<br>The requested URL /Download/index.html was not found on this server.<br><br>any chance you have the installer?<br><br>

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 04:15 PM

yes... <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 04:51 PM

And thank YOU! Ok...time to install these bad boys. My first time with themes in X...so basically 2 years now since I have played with themes! <br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 05:20 PM

OK...I've downloaded everything and want to install the theme(s) as instructed. My challenge is finding the Theme Folder...I can't! I've looked everywhere and I'am lost...HELP! Is there such a folder, is it part of OSX or do I need to create one. I feel like Moses, lost, lost, lost!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 06:31 PM

Brushed is the best theme out there IMO. I have been using it for a while now with Duality, no problems.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 06:34 PM

Should be here: "Your Computer Name"/Library/Themes<br><br>If not, you can create a folder there named Themes<br><br>HTH<br><br>Chris<br><br><br>Light-Imagery<br><br>

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 06:46 PM

Read this over at another board concerning themes..what do you all think?<br><br>Well, if a theme is missing any of the data from the original files, it can stop your system dead in its tracks. You see, these "themes" are really just hacks of existing system files. They take the core *.rsrc files, replace the graphics with their own, DELETE THE ORIGINALS OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM FOLDER, and replace the originals with their own custom files. It is VERY important for people to realize that themes aren't an add-on like Kaleidoscope was in Classic; rather, they actually permanently destroy and replace crucial system files.<br><br>Provided that the various *.rsrc files are properly intact, other problems can arise from the installation process of some themes. Specifically, theme packages are infamous for scattering the developer's invisible ".DS_Store" files into your folders. These files contain the Finder's settings for things like window view type and icon arrangement. Because you have to authenticate the installer to install the themes, these .DS_Store files also get installed as a super-user and can cause problems later. Ever read about people having problems with the Finder not "remembering" window settings? This is what causes that.<br><br>I STRONGLY advise against installing themes (in their current state) unless you know exactly what files are being modified, you have backed up said files, and know how to restore the backups through the command-line should the theme wreak havoc on your Mac.<br><br>I was one of the first Mac OS X users to make themes. I still tinker with them from time to time; so, I intimately know all the evils that can arise from themes on Mac OS X.<br>Well, if I recall correctly, these two apps may simply be status menus and are therefore wholly self-contained. If the code in one of them were to blow up, it wouldn't take down the rest of the system.<br><br>On the other hand, if you're using the ".menu" versions of these apps, then, yes, there is the chance that they can threaten the stability of your system. Apple strictly put .menu apps off-limits to third-party developers because buggy .menus can freeze up or crash the whole window server. Yet, developers disregard this and hack away at the system to get them to work anyway.<br><br>Here's a test. If you can hold the command key and drag these items off of the menu bar, then they are .menu apps like I just described. If you can't, then they're just status menus and should be safe.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 07:29 PM

Pretty technical. If you ever do have a problem with themes, as long as you have kept the original in a safe place (the original Aqua), you can always boot into OS 9 and manually put it back where it belongs. I had it happen to me once or twice a long time ago with some themes. I don't worry about it really these days. Maybe I should? Nah......<br><br>

Re: New OSX Theme - 10/31/02 08:00 PM

That's why I gave you the AquaFix app. Don't worry about it... I haven't had anything happen yet and I've used almost every theme available.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: New OSX Theme - 11/01/02 02:31 AM

heh.I should have asked you how to install it! <br><br>