Signs winter is coming!

Posted by: JonnyCat

Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 11:08 AM

<br>Every year a pole is attached to our fire hydrant, so the snow plows<br>know where the hydrants are when the snow starts to pile up.<br><br>hmm... I thought we had more time before I would see this <br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 11:14 AM

I'am sorry, today the temp here is 72 and cloudy and no snow in our forecast!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 11:17 AM

We actually saw a sprinkle of snow last week here in NH. Didn't last more than a day, but it was a surprise I could have done without.<br><br>I don't mind the snow, if it would just snow on the grass and not on the driveway or the roads.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 11:25 AM

How would you know that winter was coming if this guy never showed up, or just plain forgot to attend to your particular fire hydrant...<br><br>Why, you'd be wearing t-shirts and shorts right up until it snowed! Then what would you do? You'd probably get frostbite in some unpleasant places, I'm guessing....<br><br>So, why not go out and give this guy a sandwich or something- he may have saved your life!<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: Time for an eric emotion! - 10/28/02 12:26 PM

<br>Eric says, "JonnyCat hold on, we can thaw you out..."<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Time for an eric emotion! - 10/28/02 12:30 PM

A convert!<br><br><br>

Re: Time for an eric emotion! - 10/28/02 12:30 PM

Oh great, now what am I gonna do for a response- you took the best 'Eric' available for that thread!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: heh, heh... - 10/28/02 12:35 PM

<br><br>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 01:36 PM

Omigosh. Imagine the mess if someone moved the poles. Yikes!!!<br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 01:41 PM

LOL.... hmmmm... that gives me an idea!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 01:46 PM

Gives you WHAT idea? You live in Arizona!!!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 01:47 PM

heheheee... Maybe I'm traveling right now, ever think of that? <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 01:51 PM

Right this minute?<br><br>Damn, I want YOUR airport hook up, man!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 02:43 PM

Amazing what you can get away with when you work for the CIA.... doh... um, forget I said that - really, it's for your own good! <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 02:51 PM

Omigosh. Imagine the mess if someone moved the poles. Yikes!!!<br><br>Come to think about it what does the FD do when there is a Fire??<br>Throw ice cubes at it??<br><br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 03:16 PM

Oh JonnyCat is this your car ?<br><br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

It's already been here! - 10/28/02 03:23 PM

This pic was taken on Route 29 just west of Saratoga Springs, NY last Wednesday.<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mojo_jojo on 10/28/02 06:38 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: It's already been here! - 10/28/02 03:30 PM

Did you do the tags right?<br><br>has to be [ image]url[/image]...where are you hosting it?<br><br>

Re: It's already been here! - 10/28/02 03:37 PM

That was bizarre. I had named the pic, 66.jpg. For some reason it would not recognize the pic until I changed the pic name to something other than numeric. Than again it could have been operator error.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: It's already been here! - 10/28/02 04:00 PM

It does that sometimes.<br>Numbers and even spaces will not show -rare but it does happen.<br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 04:19 PM

Man, now that is cold!<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: It's already been here! - 10/28/02 04:20 PM

When you’re used to landscapes of sand, such pictures are breathtaking.. Thanks for sharing Mojo..<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: It's already been here! - 10/28/02 05:22 PM

My first snow fall was in 1967, when we moved from Florida to Pennsylvania. I thought that was pretty breathtaking. Now I would just as soon never see another snowflake!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: It's already been here! - 10/28/02 05:22 PM

You are welcome.<br> <br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 05:42 PM

Here's my winter pic. The big dump. January 1999.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 05:47 PM

Did you have to buy a snorkel for that, Marg?<br><br>The picture reminds me of the great blizzard of 1978, when I was living in Boston. It dumber over 50 inches of snow on Boston, and that was on top of a couple of feet that had fallen a week or so before. The storm shut down the whole state, including Harvard, which closed for the first time since its founding in 1636. Some kids actually built a snow jump down the front steps of Widener Library, and people were skiing off it into the quad in front of the library.<br><br>I was living in a first floor apt. back then, and had to do the shoveling from my door, which was at the rear of the house, to the sidewalk. But there was literally nowhere to put the snow. I must have spent a couple of days just trying to get from my door to the sidewalk.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 06:33 PM

This was by far the worse storm we had in my lifetime. Our mayor called out the army to help with emergencies. Firetrucks and ambulences could not manouvre down the sidestreets. It was unbelievable. Snowed for 2 weeks solid. The city was crippled. Most folks helped each other out. The wall of snow was so high at the street we couldn't see over it from our porch. The snow was very localized. Only those in the city were affected. Folks even a little ways out barely got any.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

The forecast is... - 10/28/02 06:34 PM

It was autumn, and the Indians on the remote reservation<br>asked their new Chief if the winter was going to be cold<br>or mild. Since he was an Indian Chief in a modern<br>society, he had never been taught the old secrets. When<br>he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the weather<br>was going to be. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he<br>replied to his tribe that the winter was indeed going to<br>be cold and that the members of the village should collect<br>firewood to be prepared.<br><br>Also, being a practical leader, after several days he got<br>an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National<br>Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to<br>be cold?"<br><br>"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold<br>indeed," the meteorologist at the weather service<br>responded. So the Chief went back to his people and told<br>them to collect even more wood in order to be prepared.<br><br>A week later, he called the National Weather Service<br>again. "Is it going to be a very cold winter?"<br><br>"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied,<br>"it's definitely going to be a very cold winter." The<br>Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to<br>collect every scrap of wood they could find.<br><br>Two weeks later, he called the National Weather Service<br>again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going<br>to be very cold?"<br><br>"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's going to be one of<br>the coldest winters ever."<br><br>"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.<br><br>The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting wood<br>like crazy."<br><br>drjohn<br><br><br>[color:blue]My photographs[color:blue]
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: The forecast is... - 10/28/02 06:38 PM

I love the joke and the photos at your site are fantastic! I'am going back...<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: The forecast is... - 10/28/02 06:43 PM

cute joke. I simply love your "Flower" gallery.<br><br><br><br>

Signs winter is here! - 10/28/02 07:04 PM

And someone forgot to fix a leaking fawcet.:)<br><br><br>drjohn<br><br><br>[color:blue]My photographs[color:blue]
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 07:14 PM

Tee hee, I just realized you live in Toronto. I remember the newspapers and radio stations here poking fun at Toronto over calling in the army. We get that much snow every year in Ottawa, but Toronto usually doesn't so they weren't prepared for it. But then Toronto kicked our butts at hockey again so we had to shut up. :D<br><br>

Re: The forecast is... - 10/28/02 07:24 PM

Someone at work told me that joke just last week! It must be winter's a-coming <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 07:30 PM

yikes!<br><br>now that the pole is on the fire hydrant, I better pack the ice scrapper!<br><br>

Re: Signs winter is coming! - 10/28/02 07:30 PM

Yes, everyone had a good laugh at us. Joke is, the year after, the city bought tons of new equipment. Most of it is still sitting unused. We haven't had much snow since.<br><br>better knock on wood <br><br><br><br>

Re: The forecast is... - 10/28/02 07:33 PM

LOL! now that is funny!<br><br>

Re: The forecast is... - 10/28/02 07:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I'am going back...<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Much appreciated...thanks.<br><br>drjohn<br><br><br>[color:blue]My photographs[color:blue]

Re: The forecast is... - 10/28/02 07:44 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I simply love your "Flower" gallery.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Thanks and stay tuned...I add to it occasionly.<br><br>drjohn<br><br><br>[color:blue]My photographs[color:blue]

Re: The forecast is... - 10/28/02 07:53 PM

I finally saw the link to your photo galleries and went, saw, and was amazed. You have a great eye and a great ability to capture what your eye sees. Thanks for sharing.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Thanks - 10/28/02 08:10 PM

Glad you liked it. Doing the site was an exercise for this somewhat newbie.<br><br>drjohn<br><br><br>[color:blue]My photographs[color:blue]