Why do you come to the lounge?

Posted by: yoyo52

Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/27/02 05:33 PM

This is probably a strange question, but it's one that I'm puzzling through now, and have been for some time. This is it: why do we spend time posting to forums like this one. I don't mean forums in which we ask for and/or supply help, but ones like the Lounge here, or its equivalent on other boards.<br><br>I hope you don't think that the question is prompted by the various threads that have appeared this week end that have, in one way or another, represented the viciousness that's possible among posters, although clearly they've brought the question to a head.<br><br>One obvious reason is that I, for one, have "met" a lot of very nice, interesting, intelligent, witty people, whom I'd invite to my house for a get-together in a heartbeat. I've shared some very good, happy moments, and some profoundly sad, tragic ones with those folks.<br><br>On the other hand, I've also come across people who, were the web real life, I'd avoid completely, but can't in this cyberspace we share because there they areóthere's no avoiding them, period, even in a selective reading of threads.<br><br>My non-cyber life is pretty full. I have a great wife and kid, lots of friends, a job that would consume all of my time if I wanted it to, civic responsibilities and social engagements that make my week sometimes a struggle to get through, because there's so much to do. And that life has the advantage, if you will, that I can and have insulated myself completely from people whom I find impossible to get along with.<br><br>But despite the weekly overbooking, and despite the impossibility of avoiding unpleasantness and sometimes plain old nastiness, I find the time to come to the Lounge, and usually enjoy doing so thoroughly.<br><br>I imagine that what I've said applies to all of us who come here or to other boards.<br><br>Does it? In any case, why do you come here? What brings you here? What keeps you coming?<br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/27/02 06:15 PM

First of all I live in an area where there are very few Mac users. It was like heaven to find places I could talk about Macs with like-minded folks. Then I started becoming friends with them. I also do not have much opportunity to travel and I enjoy hearing how life in other areas of the world compareas. And what else is out there besides my own environment. <br>I can travel lots of places. I have always loved to read about these things, but to actually be able to talk to others who have "been dere, done dat" is fascinating. <br>I know people like the portraying themselves as something they are not on the internet, but this is one place I feel I can truely let my hair down and be myself. <br>I have never learned so much by having so much fun.<br><br>When it comes to a pissing match - apathy wins.<br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/27/02 06:54 PM

As a part of the Emm See refugee influx way back then, I found the gathering of fellow exiles to be a heady and fun experience. There was an enthusiasm and joie de vivre that had been missing in the 'other' forum.<br><br>Then the enthusiasm waned and one by one, most of the refugees returned to Emm See, myself included. I have given the Lounge at MacCentral a pretty good shot but I have found myself gravitating back to MacMinute more and more. It just feels more like home to me.<br><br>I like the people here, many of whom still frequent the Lounge at MCF, and I prefer the silliness and mindless banter over the repetitious party political discourse I see often at MCF. But that's just me.<br><br>And here I feel I can post pretty much what I want to and know that although others may disagree, in general they'll say it with reason and good humor. I find that increasingly rare at MC.<br><br>But I should add that I still post to the odd thread at MC news and the GD (ironically enough) and mostly I get rational responses when I do.<br><br>To me, this Lounge is a nicer place to be than that Lounge and I know it's totally subjective. Maybe some day I'll feel I can post over there again. Right now, I don't feel inclined to do so.<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/27/02 07:37 PM

I enjoy both places (forums). My nights consist of my honey falling asleep while watching tv. I sit here and surf the web and frequenting Mac forums to gather as much knowledge as I can. I come back to this forum cause....are you ready...hehe....sing along....everybody knows my name. It's like frequenting the neighborhood bar (in which I don't) and meet your friends after a hard day at work to chit chat and laugh. I think there is a great group of friends here, but I also feel I have a great group of friends at MC.<br><br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/27/02 10:31 PM

I enjoyed all the forums over at MC for a long time before I jumped into the Lounge (at the time it was called the General Discussion Forum). Then, for a long time I would make the GD/Lounge forum a "first stop" for posting. When MC split the GD forum up into GD and the Lounge as separate forums, I found that it got very very crowded.<br><br>I came over here at the request of NTO1 - he said it was a nice quiet place. I gave it a shot but at the time there was hardly anyone here. Slowly, more people from MC came over and the traffic picked up enough that I started coming here first because it was easier to follow what you all were doing with your life and it just seemed more personal, because there was a lot less to keep track of.<br><br>I have made MM my primary home not because I don't like the political threads (although that is part of it), but because I just feel closer to the other members here. <br><br>With the exception of Alec (Mississauga), I didn't feel like I knew much about anyone at MC, I didn't feel like I was a "friend" to anyone. That's nothing personal againsta anyone, since most of you I've known from MC, but he was the only one that I went out of my way to keep up with PMs and e-mail. This was because we had this constant back & forth conversation in nearly every thread we posted in. There are just so many people at MC, it was difficult to really get to know more than one or two people.<br><br>Since coming here, I feel like I know a little more about everyone here - which carries over to MC as well. I guess it was just easier here due to the lower traffic.<br><br>I still post over at MC in most of the forums - although I have cut way back on posts in the Lounge - simply because most of the people I really enjoy chatting with are here.<br><br>I think both places are great... and I will continue to post to both websites. If I had to choose between them, I would choose whichever all of you chose to go to.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/27/02 10:49 PM

That last sentence is the nicest thing I've seen posted. Right back atcha. I have made treasured friends at both places, but am really enjoying the company here...now.<br><br>When it comes to a pissing match - apathy wins.<br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/27/02 11:52 PM

I still call MCF home but I'm with Gizmo in that I am starting to feel left out there. It doesn't have the same cozy feeling as here. You all may laugh at me for this but somehow I feel free to posts my feelings, ideas and questions here. For some odd reason I always felt intimidated to ask anything at MCF. I consider MM as place to come and let loose, have fun. I haven't given up on MC though. There are some folks there that I enjoy and I'm hoping things will change soon there.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 05:37 AM

"My non-cyber life is pretty full. I have a great wife and kid, lots of friends, a job that would consume all of my time if I wanted it to, civic responsibilities and social engagements that make my week sometimes a struggle to get through, because there's so much to do. And that life has the advantage, if you will, that I can and have insulated myself completely from people whom I find impossible to get along with."<br><br>yes, but this "life" can be turned on and off whenever you feel the urge...and, you don't have to worry about having that one couple over who like to stay about an hour longer than you'd like. <br><br>i started at MC in about 1998 as a place to have my mac questions answered. there was a poster back then named joshua thorpe who was very similar to a ron clark/macmatt112, but with a LOT more immaturity. i lived in a very liberal college town at the time and didn't encounter anyone in my daily life who espoused similar viewpoints. i was intrigued and started a dialogue with him just to see if he was for real (i was in my late 20's at the time and had grown up a bit sheltered). anyway, i started enjoying testing my own beliefs on things and realizing that my understanding of an issue was sometimes very easy to counter and that i'd have to delve a little more deeply into a particular topic to get beyond the surface-level you hear in a 20 minute crossfire episode...i began to ask myself "why?" and to do a little more research into myself. well, joshua's immaturity caused him to get banned, but there have been others to fill that void. anyway, i just appreciated the forum for providing me with a chance to feel like i am growing as a person even if some people think the content is frivolous or a waste of time. since that time, we have moved to perhaps the most conservative community in the united states. stark contrast. now, i look more to the forums as my social network of friends since my best friends, beyond my immediate family, are all many hours away. <br><br>i am one of the original members of this forum coming over at the request of kate "ethel" sorenson. i always appreciated stan and figured i'd give this place a shot -- for nothing else, just to show my support to him. it was pretty much on again / off again for the longest time until the split at MC. i avoided the lounge at MC for a while after the split, but this place didn't pick up like i wanted after that initial tidal wave. i've kept both places on my most viewed list since then. <br><br>here's how i see things as they currently stand. MC made a mistake of splitting the general discussion into two and making the lounge. when the lounge and mac talk were combined in one general discussion, we always had a much better self-policing movement afloat and (beside the "lost weekend" -- which i avoided) almost always kept politics at bay enough that most people enjoyed a little of this and a little of that. i remember being proud that i wouldn't start a political thread, but i often participated in them if someone else had "the nerve." now, they have multiplied exponentially (okay, that's a bit of a stretch). i think the split is partly responsible because it suddenly made politics part of the "anything goes" in the lounge -- nobody felt guilty starting a politics thread. fine...i didn't want a split and still don't appreciate it, but i am not bitter. that being said, i think there is another equally large force causing the increase in politics on the forum...2000...the changing of the tide. from maccentral's start, bill clinton was in power and the generally liberal crowd had "that" to hold over any naysayers. the election of 2000, with all of its quarks, really changed the tone. suddenly, the liberals (me included) had something to whine about...we felt wronged -- and it was by a guy many of us felt couldn't put a complete sentence together -- "oh, the madness...the unjustice...oh woes me." . this created a bad taste for many (i am sure clinton did as well, but conservatives are in the minority). anyway, the tide changed and the forum split and you see the repercussions.<br><br>i should stop there, but...<br><br>back in the mid 90's, i was in graduate school and enjoying life. i had some friends who were "alternative" and a gal i liked who was part of the "preppie" crowd. i used to frequent bars with her and also with them. as much as the two crowds were different, they were very much the same. if a "preppie" showed up at the replay lounge (altertive hangout), he would be ostracized. people would make snide comments and give him bad looks, etc. it didn't wash. at the yatch club (preppie hangout - duh!), the same was true...someone dressed in grunge would get stares and comments, etc. as much as one group was better than the other, they really were just two sides to the same coin. that's how i see the two forums that i frequent. MC and MM are not really that far apart...one just has many more members, which can multiply any perceived problems. most of the time, i enjoy it all. when i don't, i go away for a day or so...it's easy to just turn you off and that's part of the appeal. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 06:45 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>MC and MM are not really that far apart...<p><hr></blockquote><p>Good point. In fact, if you had the time or desire to look back, I think you would find that all the MC people that came over here after the forum split were "forum friends" over at MC for a long time. I know I pretty much followed Carp, Alec, MikeB, SteveG, Mach, NTO1, Marg and a few others here because, well, this is where they were going. They are the same people here as they were/are over there, but here - they stand out more. These are the folks I enjoyed chatting with the most, and I wanted to be wherever they were. That is not to say that there weren't many more over at MC that I enjoyed, that is why I visit both.<br><br>I too enjoyed Stans work on the news page of MM. As soon as I found MM, I started using it as my main news source & have ever since.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>
Posted by: Krasni

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 07:17 AM

For me, one of the most amazing things of the internet is the chance to meet people from all over the world. I'm fascinated to have known Waleed Alzuhair, from Bahrein -for example-, and I pay attention to his posts triying to understand how a person from such a different culture is.<br>I don't have a "virtual" and a "real" life, this is part of my life too. I have a poster of the mosaic in front of me, the CD and the postcards... Would you call it "virtual"?<br><br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 08:07 AM

I post at MC and here,although I favor MM more at the time because of forum members I have meet at MC.<br>Alec/Marg/Gizmo/Steveg/carp are people that I respect for their humor and flat out honesty.<br>They are a large part of my cyber life,and it is a joy to amongst them.<br>I participated in the Lost Weekend it was not a planed thing it just happened,and I doubt if it ever could be duplicated.<br>As for members posting what they want on MC or here,I don't have any problems with that as long as the threads get nasty and out of hand.Threads when members loose tempers and name calling begins is plain bull shix.That type of thing no forum needs.<br>My home life is full and Im usually busy doing something around the house while posting or getting my @ss wiped by my son playing video games with him.<br>Both forums offer a lot of different people with all sorts of views on life I feel very fortunate to read everyones posts and enjoy. <br>Thank You<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Swatcat on 10/28/02 11:39 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 09:19 AM

It's not a strange question at all, Yoyo - when I first came to MCF I posted pretty much the same query - being new to forum participation and being interested in human behavior I was curious about what drew everyone together there. That was only a few months ago - and now I have some perspective of my own about it. For me - right here, right now in this particular Lounge at MM (since that's what the topic is) - it's all about the people - all of US - the comraderie that I've discovered here. Yes, because of the smaller group it's much easier to get to "know" each other - our differences and our similarities. It doesn't matter if I'm at home or work or the library - a computer gives me access to this place, and it doesn't matter if I stop by at any given point in my day or another - time becomes less relevant because we are spread out all over the globe. I don't live in a bell jar by any means, and like so many others - I have my own variety of job stress and plenty of personal life BS to deal with, but the ability to come here and converse and share experiences with such a variety of people in such a manner means a lot to me. I also think that because it is in a way a microcosm of the larger world out there (and the universe in turn) that it is subject some of the same forces - both good and bad - that act upon these things.<br><br>In my mind's eye I see the lounge more as a really big old rambling house with countless rooms - occupied by a diverse group of housemates who are basically a very tolerant crowd - sometimes we're gathered in the living room discussing serious topics or listening to music - sometimes we're hanging out in the kitchen talking about events in our daily lives - folks can be found bouncing off the walls down in the rec room - or talking Mac stuff in the study - and by golly tasteless humor can be heard from behind the bathroom door - or you can go out out in the back yard with the other boys in the neighborhood to see who can piss the farthest. (I'll stay out of that, thank you very much, 'cause my anatomy prohibits me from even coming close to competing there.) And like a real house - ya, sometimes company stays a little longer than you want them to, or the plumbing breaks and the basement floods, someone forgets to take out the trash, solicitors come to the door...sometimes it's just all peaceful and quiet with the sunlight streaming through the windows and I can curl up in a chair with the kitties in my lap and Rufus at my feet and read all through all the day's postings...Maybe you get the picture, maybe not. <br><br>I'd like to think the welcome mat is ALWAYS out and the door ALWAYS open to ANYONE who wants to come in and stay a while.<br><br>Leslie<br><br>(But really it's Marg's fault that I'm at either forum at all - she made me do it)<br>-------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lesh on 10/28/02 12:29 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 09:27 AM

I wondered where Rufus was.... how did you get him to lay at your feet? He always wants to lay on the couch at my house - at 55 pounds, he's just destroying the darn couch!!!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 12:06 PM

Wonderful post Leslie, I think you have summed up my feelings as well.<br><br>glad I made you do it <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 12:33 PM

Well... I just singed up... so I came here to see what the MM community is like. You can usually tell what the members at a site are like... in the lounge. This where everyone lets their hair down and has a good time... most times. So, here I am... looking for a place to call home...<br><br>(Place clever quote here.)
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 12:35 PM

Hello elppa and welcome!<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 12:36 PM

Aaaaaaaaah!!!!<br><br>Ellen Feiss has no eyes!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 12:42 PM

Did you see this story from Wired that MM reported on last week?<br><br>And welcome to you, elppa!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 01:08 PM

Welcome home elppa_cam <br><br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 01:15 PM

Welcome <br><br><br><br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 01:28 PM

Thanks all... <br><br>(Place clever quote here.)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by elppa_cam on 10/28/02 04:29 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 01:32 PM

Welcome to MM elppa_cam <br><br><br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 01:36 PM

Thanks. Here's some pics of the famous Ellen... with her taking notes in class? Weird. Ellen<br><br>(Place clever quote here.)

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 01:41 PM

The class photos are great!<br><br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 01:42 PM

So what was on the sweat shirt--any clue?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 01:46 PM

But we have another victim in the forum!!! <br><br>Welcome!<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 01:56 PM

Yes I want to welcome her/him too.<br>Pull up a chair elppa_cam and have some fun<br><br>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 02:05 PM

I agree with you, Ana. Meeting people from all over is important to me, and getting to know them as neighbors is something the internet provided me which I could never have in real life. I mean, how many lives would it take to meet and get to know all the people in this forum in the days before the internet? Even if I moved in down the street from you or Walzuhair, it doesn't mean I'd have gotten to know you as I have here. I think that's one of the main reasons I go to the forums. <br><br>Another is that I feel a need to discuss all kinds of things, and sometimes in great depth. I like to know what other people think about things. I like to share what I know, too, and it's a good way to get corrected if your thinking is going in the wrong way. So, I come here for discussion and friendship.<br><br>And no, I think the word virtual is not the right word for the experience. We use "virtual" almost to mean "fake." There is nothing fake about this. <br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 02:11 PM

Hey Carp... Her is a him. I'm using Ellen as my avatar 'cause... she's cool?<br><br>Thanks for all the welcomes... I'm dipping my toes in yer waters if you don't mind.<br><br>(Place clever quote here.)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by elppa_cam on 10/28/02 05:12 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 02:26 PM

You've been an interesting person to me, Gizmo, because I've seen a transformation in you as I've gotten to know you. When you first came to MC, you posted infrequently and often your comments were... well... not very friendly. Over time, I noticed that you seemed to come out of that bad mood more and more and you were actually quite funny. I finally realized that you just like to have fun here, and not to get dragged down by serious discussions that go on and on. I realize that you probably didn't read a lot of my posts, simply because they were too long and involved. Not criticizing you at all... it was good to understand what you and many others wanted: a place to hang out and shoot the bull as you would at a bar or game or something. You're a great-hearted guy, and I'm glad to know you, though it took some time, a lost weekend, and a mosaic, and a forum split, and all kinds of stuff before I really knew you. I enjoyed doing the biographies for the mosaic, because I got to know everyone involved. <br><br>I know my conversations aren't for everyone, and when I go deep, I don't try to be inclusive; I just write for those inclined to read and think about the same things. It's important to me, but I don't think less of anyone who doesn't want to go there. In fact, I'm just thankful that there are some people who actually DO want to go there. I certainly can't talk about this stuff with most of my neighbors at home, or family for that matter. The Net gives us all an opportunity to talk to those who want conversation, and as we learn here at the forum, there are all kinds of conversation. Some go deep. Some go for laughs. Some just go for no other reason than to say, "WHAT!"<br><br><br><br><br>Everyone here feels like a brother or sister to me. And when we all gather around the table and just shoot the breeze, it's a big family gathering. I just hope everyone's understanding each other when we start gravitating toward our own little pockets of conversation. It doesn't mean we don't come out and enjoy everyone else. <br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 02:48 PM

Actually, I've always read your posts Shoosh... but in the early days, I wasn't compelled to respond. Sometimes your posts are a bit long, but I've found that the longer they are, the more gems you put in them.<br><br>Yeah, in looking back, I was a bit short with people. I was getting gobs of e-mail and PM's for some reason (mostly tech-support requests) and it was consuming so much time, that by the time I responded to them, I was in a bad mood when I finally got into the forum to read posts. I finally stopped responding to most of them (or sent a response asking people to post their questions in the forum). After that, I believe it was Alec who smacked me on the head and told me to start posting or he was gonna kick me in the knee! (well, something like that anyway).<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 03:01 PM

I don't respond to many of your posts but I do read them all. Most times they have given me a great deal to ponder. I suppose this is my opportunity here to say "Thank you".<br><br><br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 03:31 PM

Well, then, I have Alec to thank (and it's not the first time), because the forum just ain't the forum when you're not posting!<br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 03:34 PM

Now you're making me blush!!! <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 03:43 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>... the forum just ain't the forum when you're not posting!<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'll second that!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 03:51 PM

I like your posts, too Shoosh - some days I need something to contemplate other than my navel!<br><br>Welcome elppa cam - get ready for an interesting ride!<br><br>Oh and Giz - about Rufus at my feet - it's just a MacBabe way some of us have with dogs - canine and otherwise.<br><br>j/k guys!<br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 03:55 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Her is a him.<p><hr></blockquote><p>The MacDudes has a new team member <br><br>And the result is... Drum roll...<br><br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 03:55 PM

Will you show us your navel Lesh so we can contemplate it? :)<br><br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 03:57 PM

Thats great I was begining to wonder if another MacBabe weapon was under development.<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 03:59 PM

Now did you HAVE to ask that? <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 04:00 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Even if I moved in down the street from you or Walzuhair<p><hr></blockquote><p>I would park in front of your drive way and steal your MacAddict CDs <br><br>Iím really flattered Shoosh.. Thanks..<br><br><br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 04:03 PM

Well if she takes the nude shot from atlease 10 feet away would help for the all body effect.<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 04:11 PM

"I was getting gobs of e-mail and PM's for some reason (mostly tech-support requests) and it was consuming so much time, that by the time I responded to them, I was in a bad mood when I finally got into the forum to read posts."<br><br>I know the feeling, except it happens with my non-cyber "friends," constantly calling with some problem that eats up time I should be spending doing real work. While some do actually pay me for my time or buy me the ocassional lunch, it's amazing that most don't even think to offer me anything. I guess they think it's a hobby and "fun" so I shouldn't be paid for their benefitting from the knowlege I've managed to accumulate over the years. Being a wus doesn't help, either. <br><br>Try that with a lawyer and see how many freebies you get.<br><br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 04:47 PM

The privilege is ours, W. We all need to pay attention to one who lives in this hotspot that our nation keeps focusing on. I wish there were more of your friends online. This world could be quite a place if we all communicated directly instead of letting our leaders fabricate all this utter BullSh!t to pit us against each other and scare us. Each day I see your signature pic with the camels and realize that for you, that scene (though it may have come from a movie) could literally be found within a few minutes drive. I know it's not all like that. People always think of me being from Texas and immediately they think: cowboys, oil, horses, and guns. Well... it isn't like their image, maybe, but the truth is that I grew up on a horse farm, carrying guns, riding horses, working around cowboys, and there were oil wells all over our place! I didn't realize this until I was in France denying it. Then they would ask me, "do you have horses?" Yes. "Oil?" Yes. etc., etc., and I realized then that it really is my culture. So, camels and sand really are your culture, and I'd love to know more about that culture from someone who is not trying to make me want to drop bombs on it!<br><br>In short, participation from Krasni, Walzuhair, Eckhard, Afterglow, MachOne, Mactico, and the many other members who live around the world, turns this forum into something more important than most of us ever realize. We're all beneficiaries; it is so important in times like these. Our leaders have a different agenda. The solution to this world's problems is not going to come from people with ulterior motives. It's going to come from the truth as it is spread from person to person, as we all get to know--for real--what we're all like. There was a time not long ago when we couldn't do this. I cannot emphasize strongly enough how important it is that we now can. Spread the word, folks. We have met the Answer, and it is Us. Talking. <br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 05:06 PM

Once again, I've been lurking/checking out this thread. My wife will tell you that I am not the best at developing friendships, I'am a loner and don't enjoy social environments much. I also find it hard to post here. Not because of the replies, but due to the feeling I have that may be judged by the comments I've made and not by my actions (hard to demonistrate actions in this environment). Bottom line, I have this really neat wall around me, that protects me from being hurt by others. The only place I don't hide behind my wall at, is my home (my wife will not let me bring it inside, said it's too dirty). With all of that said...the reason why I come to this place is simple, it feels like home, alittle laughter, some pain, a fight or two, conversation that makes you think, learning about people and places where I'am not! This is home (left my wall outside), kicked off my shoes, and crashed. From where I sit, in a large room surrounded by good (some strange) friends who don't care about personal baggage but about Mac Babes (and guys), Macs, world events, our homes, families and each other in our own ways. Thanks for sweeping off the welcome mat and unlocking the door.<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 05:56 PM

Since you asked so nicely...<br><br>This might be scary - I don't know - I see it every day...I'm kinda attached to it.<br><br><br><br>and BTW Mcteak your post was heartfelt and there may be more of us than you realize that empathize with you about walls and forming friendships - I hope I haven't diminished that feeling by posting a picture of my bellybutton right after it...<br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:01 PM

I guess I can live with it, I too have one! On the bright side it's not an outtie!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:04 PM

<br><br>uh.. very nice bellybutton! <br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:06 PM

Thank you lesh, you have made my evening!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:19 PM

You are all weird and I'm gonna pretend like all these bellybutton comments never happened! <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:21 PM

So fess up Giz - you got an innie or an outie? We want to know.<br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:29 PM

What if he does not have one!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:47 PM

Dogs don't have a belly-button! <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:54 PM

Well, we know you have a bellybutton. Oh my gosh...a cold chill just came over me...another thread like WHAT, but with your own bellybutton.<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:56 PM

Don't go there!<br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 06:59 PM

Just remember HE said it, not me!<br><br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 07:00 PM

Yes Ma'am!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 07:03 PM

He made me...Oh the voices in my head (or the Grateful Dead music in the background)!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/28/02 07:31 PM

I have a friend who doesn't have a belly button. He had an infection in the belly button soon after he was born, and they had to remove it. Now, don't ask me how they remove something that's sort of like a hole--they just did. I remember the first time I was at the beach with him. I kept looking at him and thinking that something was strange, but not really figuring it out until finally I saw what wasn't there. Very strange.<br><br>You all know, of course, that Adam, from Genesis, is supposed not to have had a belly button. Fortunately my friend's name is Jeffrey <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 07:44 PM

shooshie...you were one of the very first posters i can remember giving me that feeling of, "yeah, that's what i feel and what i wanted to say, but hadn't developed my own thinking on the topic enough to get it out like that." -- i don't always agree with you, but even when i don't, i typically explore my own feelings a bit more to figure out why we don't agree. when we don't agree i am much more likely to explore my own beliefs and whether i am standing on solid ground. you give me a lot to think about and you do a splendid job of visualizing the bigger picture items when everyone else can get bogged down on the details. i appreciate that perspective. thanx. i enjoy so many people, so i should probably refrain from naming other names, but i enjoy the collective whole immensely. you guys rock! <br><br>i also love to have "friends" from all over -- how many young adults in kansas, USA could have a collection of friends from all over the world to communicate with every day? (*note: i now live in michigan, but that doesn't change anything). i agree that these lines of communication that we are creating these days will only multiply and strengthen as people all over realize how similar we really are...the internet and this communication / information has the potential to build bridges that probably weren't even a dreamed about 10 years ago. it's just a matter of the world getting online and these types of communities sprouting up and growing in popularity. i can't wait for the future, but i am happy with my current set of friends. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 07:51 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>the internet and this communication / information has the potential to build bridges that probably weren't even a dreamed about 10 years ago. it's just a matter of the world getting online and these types of communities sprouting up and growing in popularity. i can't wait for the future, but i am happy with my current set of friends.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I think that the future of the world depends on building those bridges, Sean--which is one of the reasons I value forums like this--I mean the lounges that exist at almost all of the Mac sites that I visit. We jsu thave to build those bridges from person to person before it's too late to do so.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/28/02 10:28 PM

Its a Salad Bar<br>What can I say.<br><br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/29/02 04:25 AM

Lol Carp - that's a good analogy, too!<br><br>Now I'm trying to figure out who is which item...<br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/29/02 06:08 AM

I'll be Ranch Dressing...<br><br>No wait, how about tomato.<br><br>No wait, um... cucumber.<br><br>No wait, how about.......<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/29/02 06:10 AM

I thought you were the banana?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/29/02 06:32 AM

There's an awful lot of fruit salad.<br><br>When it comes to a pissing match - apathy wins.<br>

Re: Why do you come to the lounge? - 10/29/02 08:04 AM

LOL...<br><br>And an awful lot of croutons!!!!<br><br>Wait, that wasn't funny at all.<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 09:38 AM

Well, I guess the upside to no bellybutton, well is...let me think, yea, no central lint collection point!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 12:10 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>...another thread like WHAT, but with your own bellybutton<p><hr></blockquote><p>A year ago, my bellybutton was the size of a cup holder... Now do you really want to make a thread full of those? <br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 12:20 PM

Umm, explanation please?<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 12:27 PM

I'am so sorry, I should not be laughting like this...but a cup holder and yes some things should be left alone. My question...did you ever use it as a cup holder? Besides, being a guy, I just wanted to Mac Babes's belly buttons!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 12:33 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Umm, explanation please?<p><hr></blockquote><p>I was 140kg (308.6 pounds).. I'm now 97kg (213.8 pounds)..<br>Any further explanation would require the approval of the MacMinute Administrator <br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 12:36 PM

That is awesome Sir!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 12:52 PM

Thank you Sir.. I'm thinking of before and after pictures, but the only before picture is in our traditional Saudi Arabian clothing.. And it hides a lot <br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 01:47 PM

Wow! Good work!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 01:54 PM

Thanks.. Still 17kg (37.4 pounds) to go..<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 02:05 PM

Is that you and your son in the new avatar? I''ll put my son over in mine<br><br><========<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 02:26 PM

Yep, that's Abdulaziz.. I was browsing the net, and he decided to rest his head on my chest and follow what I'm doing. My wife then ran to the camera and captured it..<br><br>Here, take a look (that would be one of the before picuters ):<br><br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 02:59 PM

Very nice picture, Walzuhair. Your son is a handsome young man. By the way, is that a backgammon board under your Mac?<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 03:11 PM

Thanks.. That's a chessboard; a Syrian friend got us as a wedding gift 15 years ago.. I'm not much of a chess player, my wife is, but the board protects me from the TiBook's heat fusion.<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 03:49 PM

heat fusion thats funny LOL<br><br>I was going to say "Hey" nice box to place the TiBook in - then I realized why would you want to do that.<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 04:33 PM

Very nice picture! Wow.....that's pretty neat..here you are a half world away and on a mac <br><br>Apple....what ties us together..<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 04:51 PM

As someone said the internet does make our world alot smaller. What a super way to meet and make new friends either just across the street or the world!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 07:34 PM

I was watching the Lehrere News Hour tonight, and they had a bit on the abysmal relations of the US and Germany recently. One of the people interviewed was the editor for Der Zeit. And guess what he uses--a 15" iMac.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 07:41 PM

I feel a song coming on... Naaaa... <br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 07:48 PM

Aw c'mon now--let it all hang out man!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 07:52 PM

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya.... <br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 07:56 PM

Oh boy it's summer camp hanging out by the camp fire!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:00 PM

Nice to see you and your fine son. Very sweet picture, no wonder your wife wanted to capture the moment. Not only is it neat to see someone we visit with from a world away, you are a kindred spirit because although your setting is different, but your Mac looks just like mine!<br><br>When it comes to a pissing match - apathy wins.<br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:02 PM

I want s'more, please <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:04 PM

Someone's posting, Lord, kumbaya<br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:10 PM

Someone's spamming, Lord, kumbaya.<br>Someone's spamming, Lord, kumbaya.<br>Someone's spamming, Lord, kumbaya.<br>Oh Lord, burn his butt!<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:14 PM

yoyo52's spamming, Lord, Kumbaya.<br>yoyo52's spamming, Lord, Kumbaya.<br>yoyo52's spamming, Lord, Kumbaya.<br><br>Make him stop, Oh Lord, make him stop.<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:15 PM

And he said the would be s'mores - I want s'mores now! Make me some.<br><br>Please.<br><br>[color:red]When all is said and done, much more is said than done.</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:18 PM

<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:18 PM

Lord, please tell me that we have reached some kind of quota for hijacking in one thread... please put this thread to bed!<br>PS: Please fix OSXaddicts face... it's scary! <br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:23 PM

WHAT? MacGizmo, you don't like cheese in your threads?<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:37 PM

By your command, Ma'am!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 08:42 PM

So, I'am not the only one lost, and I thought it was the music!<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 09:03 PM

You hear the music too? <br><br>

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/29/02 09:08 PM

Yea of a Phish kick tonight...<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Sean... - 10/29/02 11:56 PM

Late in replying, but thanks for the kind words, Sean. Not to make this a mutual stroke-fest, but you've always been one of the backbones of MC forum. Since we've kind of unofficially migrated over here, at least part-time, I still look for your posts here. I'm fascinated with your career. It's really worked out well for you, it seems. You went the whole 9 yards and got the PhD, and it seems to be paying off for you. I think your students are lucky people. Also... when I saw what a babe your wife is, and how gorgeous those kids are, I KNEW you had something good going. It's just more proof that you're one of the good guys!<br><br>;^)<br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Re: MacGizmo... - 10/30/02 02:58 AM

Ahh..think that I would miss this eh? <br><br>Obviously you are delusional Jim! <br><br>