Boomers nor Booming MP3s?

Posted by: yoyo52

Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:16 PM

Interesting story here on "baby boomers," distrust of mp3 as format for audio, and the success of the iPod in beginning to convert said boomers.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: steveg

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:31 PM

`.. and a direct hit on my navel. I have only recently started downloading and playing MP3's for iTunes, or to burn CDs. And I've resisted the iPod primarily because I'm not the "portable music" type. But I'm starting to soften. And, oh my, all I have to do is drop the ol' credit card out the window on a fish hook and reel in that lil' white iThang. <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:34 PM

Plus your wife could make up a nice cover for it.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:36 PM

Too bad you never took advantage of Napster. Those were the days...<br><br><br><br>

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:36 PM

Was that a dig? <br><br>

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:37 PM

Hey, I'm a boomer. I take lots of naps!<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:40 PM

Me too LOL!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:41 PM

I don't have a iPod and don't plan to either.<br>If I remember correctly your wife was going to look into some designs. At which you was going to offer them to the members in the forums at a special discount.<br><br>

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:44 PM

LOL! I remember she was thinking about making some cases (just hasn't had the time). But where'd this "discount" thing come from?<br><br>

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:46 PM

From your friends in the forum where else.<br><br>

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 05:52 PM

Ohhhhhh. That discount...<br>*slaps self in forhead, walks away with bewildered look on face*<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 06:42 PM

Ha, that is an interesting article. I'm not a baby boomer, but I am old enough to remember listening to 8-track tapes. I don't particularly understand the "distrust" comment? It seems the article implies that some individuals were hesitant to play mp3s because they have seen so many changes in music media types over the years. <br><br>But that isn't actually relevant here because this isn't "media", but rather digital file type. So, it isn't anything like cassette tapes that require a special player that will become obsolete, these just require any computer with the proper decompressor program. While the file compression may change from mp3 to AAC, the "player" will remain the same. I know this isn't the message that the article was trying to send but it is an important point that people that aren't familiar with digital technology should understand.<br><br>For me, the iPod was an immediate purchase. I now find CDs to be bulky, limited, and rather annoying. I can now fit hundreds of albums in the palm of my hand and can play them in the car, home stereo, or on headphones. What's the point of lugging around a few albums on CDs? The first thing I do when I get a new CD album is rip it, store on a drive and my iPod and retire that CD to a dusty shelf as hard copy that I will probably never use again... <br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 07:04 PM

I'am a boomer and love the mp3 format, much much better than 8-track. Just wish I'd stayed up nights with my kids when napster was rocking! As for the iPod, one of these days. Question, would an iPod stand up to many miles of running?<br><br>Too Easy!
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 07:10 PM

My only concern is that MP3 is good enough for most people, and that the companies will start to sell music in native MP3 format *instead* of CDs. CDs still sound better than MP3s. MP3 is ok most of the time, but I still want to be able to listen to premium quality music.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 07:23 PM

Yes, I use my pod for running all the time. However, I don't often run for "many miles" .<br><br>Apple has stated that they constructed the iPod with this sort of thing in mind. Here is a thread where we talked about jogging with an iPod.<br><br>I agree that mp3 format can be lower quality than uncompressed audio, but when converted properly at bitrates of 256 or higher the quality is almost identical and yet less than 1/5 the size. Compression technology is always getting better and will eventually be almost "lossless" I would bet.<br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Boomers nor Booming MP3s? - 10/22/02 07:42 PM

Thanks. I ckecked out the thread and I think I'am sold. Now to find the $$$!<br><br>Too Easy!