Monitor

Posted by: yoyo52

Monitor - 08/09/04 11:47 AM

I'm thinking of getting a new monitor, and the choices are between this Samsung and this AG Neovo. Anyone have experience with either one, or any suggestions to make?<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 08/09/04 02:50 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Monitor - 08/09/04 11:58 AM

I looked at the Samsungs at Sam's Club in person and really liked it. <br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Monitor - 08/09/04 01:26 PM

tough choice...but that AG Neovo might be decent. Would have to look at both in person though.<br><br>

Re: Monitor - 08/09/04 09:07 PM

I'd love to look at them in person, but there's nowhere around here that carries either one. The reviews for both of these are all pretty good, and all the specs are good (except for the 25 ms latency--I wish it were 12 ms, but then I don't do any gaming (beyond the occasional Alchemy), so it's not a big deal). The Samsung has the advantage at this point cause the monitor swivels. I think it'd be cool to be able to swivel the monitor.<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Monitor - 08/09/04 09:34 PM

I bought a Samsung 213T a couple of weeks ago and really like it. While I don't have the exact same model, I'm sure there are enough similarities to offer some advice.<br><br>Keep in mind that the pivot feature only works on a PC so don't let that sway you. And you'll definitely want to use the DVI connection because the image quality is noticably better than with the VGA connection. One neat feature is you can connect one computer to the DVI and another to the VGA and switch between them.<br><br>Side-by-side with my TiBook, I didn't feel that the blacks were quite as deep and it started to bug me a little. I even went so far as to buy a Pantone Spyder to calibrate it. What I discovered is the Samsung represents color more accurately than the TiBook because it shows more gradations of black using a grayscale to measure. The grays on the TiBook just drop off to solid black after about 75%. I did find the colors more accurate on the Samsung when I calibrated using the PC-standard 2.2 gamma instead of 1.8. Your results may vary.<br><br>Samsung makes good equipment. You may want to check Dell's website and see how the prices are there since Samsung makes a lot of their LCDs.<br><br>

Re: Monitor - 08/09/04 10:01 PM

Thanks for the report. I didn't know that the pivot function is PeeCee-only <br><br>I just found the monitor for 570 at ZipZoomFly, including 2nd-day shipping. I don't think it's going to get much cheaper.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Monitor - 08/09/04 11:32 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And you'll definitely want to use the DVI connection because the image quality is noticably better than with the VGA connection.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I've noticed that's why most PC LCDs look like garbage....they're analog LCDs hooked up to a VGA connector.<br><br>Apple has been digital-only for quite some time. <br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Monitor - 08/10/04 04:17 AM

Not only that, but if you go to a CompUSA most times the resolution is set to something out of the LCD range, making the picture quality even worse. Unless you can get the sales person to hook it up to a Mac, you really have to go by the reviews when judging them.<br><br>That said, I also bought a cheaper analog Samsung 712n to connect to our Dell and the picture quality is quite good. It helps that Microsoft has a page set up to help you adjust your monitor so that the type looks crisp.<br><br>

Re: Monitor - 08/10/04 07:36 AM

Well, I ordered the Samsung last night. I'll get it in a couple/three days and report back.<br><br>