Got a new computer yesterday

Posted by: Anonymous

Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 01:20 PM

Picked up a DP867 G4 yesterday, added 512MB of RAM. Man, this thing is so great compared to what I had been using as my OS X mainstay (366MHz iBook SE). Got a $100 off too, so hard to find a better deal than that. Now Jaguar really flies!<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 01:33 PM

Nice! dang..I would love to have a dual processor mac!!<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 01:36 PM

Make sure when your wonderful woman gets back you take some pics of the new baby.<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 01:55 PM

Congrats! That'll be MY next purchase... looking forward.<br><br>Think I'll notice a difference from my current 9600/G4/400? <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 02:04 PM

Has the fan blown papers all over your desk yet? <br>There are a couple of new dualies in my agency's studio now, and the first time I heard the fans kick in, I thought I was back on Mercer Island, across the lake from the Boing wind tunnel!<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 02:12 PM

I love the sound of Turbines just needs the smell of Jet-A fuel.<br><br>Ohh and the smell of Napalm in the morning. <br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 02:14 PM

Yer watchin' too many war movies... <br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 02:22 PM

I'm jealous. Maybe someday...<br><br><br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 03:55 PM

No, not really Steve. It's under the desk. Not too annoying noisewise, less noisy than my old 7300/180, but louder than my wife's PC. Seeing the size of the heatsink on this thing, I can understand the need for cooling. I could make a bumper out of the metal in that heatsink.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 04:14 PM

No kidding. Or an anchor for your boat! <br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 04:17 PM

Still the best anchors are PCs.<br>Those square boxes are great for clinging to reefs not to mention they work well on sandy bottoms aswell.<br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 04:24 PM

Well I want to add my 2 cents in favor of PCs used as everyday stuff, but I have nothing good to say about PCs. Oh yea, I do have one good use of a PC, they are good ...sorry just can't think of anything they are good for!<br><br>Too Easy!

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 04:27 PM

Well if you don't own a boat they do make great door stops. I do have a PC here collecting dust in fact it collects dust better then my plants.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 04:31 PM

Now you have me thinking "patent." The PC Anchor!<br><br>LOL<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 04:32 PM

I like it! Except the OS will have to be called Portholes XP <br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 04:32 PM

Hey I have something, fill those PCs with dirt and plant your plants in them!<br><br>Too Easy!

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 04:35 PM

Maybe TitanicXP It will go down in a big way.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 04:36 PM

*glub glub glub*<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 06:01 PM

MonicaXP?<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 06:55 PM

Not gonna touch that one with a... um, er... cee-gar! <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 08:30 PM

Great sig pic, by the way, Steve...<br><br>Have you seen mine?<br><br><br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 08:32 PM

Your avitar just needs alittle forking.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 08:35 PM

Hey, you mess with the fro', you gots to go....<br><br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 08:44 PM

Not me you niny<br>You do the forking.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 08:57 PM

Fork me? <br><br>Fork you!!!<br><br><br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/20/02 09:35 PM

Watch it!!<br>If I do the forking you just may not be man enough to take it.<br><br>Stats<br>2 prong Fork -for BBQs<br>3 prong Fork - Salads<br>4 prong Fork - Dinners<br><br>Now if you are going to try and out Fork me with a Fro-Comb then take ya best shot. <br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 06:40 AM

OK, so I finally heard the "buzzsaw" once a few days ago when it kicked in. Now that was loud. Glad that doesn't kick in often! With the way I use it though, it shouldn't do that often at all. <br><br>This is just a real kick ass computer though. I have to say, simply astonishing performance in Jaguar. I didn't realize what I was missing. I have had up to 13 apps at once open so far and not a hiccup.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:10 PM

Resetting the mobo or updating the firmware is said to fix the windtunnel effects.<br><br>Jaguar runs great on most machines, but you don't realize how good it is until you run it on a newer machine.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:14 PM

Grrr..I want a new dual mac soooo badly! The noise would be there to remind me that I have a new mac <br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:15 PM

Thanks again for another bit of useful information. Can you point me to the source of that updating the firmware you are talking about?<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:24 PM

You know I have been holding off for a long time on getting a new Mac, always hoping for the introduction of the G5 or whatever was going to succeed the G4. Of course now there is that talk about the 64 bit IBM next year, maybe.....but though those would be even more awesome than what I just bought, this has enough performance to last me for a long time I think. Just do it, you'll be glad you did and the low end G4 is not all that expensive considering what you get. I could have spent more, I could have gone all the way to the top end model, but when it comes to spending money on stuff like this, I always tend to stay somewhat economical even though I could afford the best. But, you know how it goes, you add RAM, pick up some games, an iPod, speakers, etc. and you have spent a lot of money.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:26 PM

I know I read it at MacFixIt... but if I recall, the guy over at Raildhead Design mentioned it as well. I wish I could remember exactly where it was, but I know it was one of those two.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:33 PM

I hear ya. Unfortunately, unless I hit the jackpot, it's not gonna happen for awhile.<br><br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:37 PM

I got my 867 QuickSilver paid off and some money put aside for that G5<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:41 PM

I traded in an old LCIII and got a new QuickSilver for free...true!<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:46 PM

<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:46 PM

Just how in the He^^ did you pull that off?<br><br>Too Easy!<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:47 PM

Ok, you think you are gonna post that and get away? I don't think so!<br><br>Come on...spill it. What..did someone or work buy it for you??<br><br>
Posted by: NotTheOnly1

Hey Mike-- - 10/26/02 12:47 PM

-- you are aware that this is like saying,"Picked up a Toyota MR2 Spyder yesterday, added the plus package of options. Man, this thing is so great compared to my mainstay, the Toyota Celica. Got a $500 off too, so hard to find a better deal than that. Now I really fly!"<br><br>Well, of course you do, you just bought a new, better 'car' at twice the price. I hope it improved!<br><br>:-P<br><br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:50 PM

I had some serious damage done to my house due to a bonehead roofer...long story short...I had a large amount of water come in my house. Most of it settled in my basement where all of my old computer stuff was. All of it was ruined. I had the old LC III, three Laserwriter II (replaced by 3 HP 2200s) 13/14" monitors etc. All was replaced via insurance. It was not worth the hassle but at least I did get something out of it.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:53 PM

Sorry about the damage<br>but it sure makes me feel better<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:53 PM

Took about 8 months to get back to normal.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 12:55 PM

I know a little about flood damage also<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 01:09 PM

Didn't JohnnyCat have some septic tank problems lately?<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 01:10 PM

You know, if you had asked Gizmo's wife, she could have gotten a new Mac for you <br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 01:13 PM

Absolutely... Him yes, me... not a chance!!! Of course, she would have used your credit card anyway.<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 01:15 PM

How's could she have helped?<br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 01:47 PM

That's ok, cause I pilfered yours out of your wallet <br><br>

Re: Got a new computer yesterday - 10/26/02 01:48 PM

Page 2 explains it, Biggerfoot<br><br>