Flu Shots

Posted by: iRock

Flu Shots - 10/19/02 08:10 AM

So I got a flu shot Thursday and just like every year my arm is red with a welt.<br>(sorry for pic quality, I had to go to a low light room to get a mirror and it is not easy to take a pic of your arm and hold still)<br>This time though it is like tendonitis clear down to my wrist. I have had to take ibuprofen & tylenol. Does anyone else ever have this much soreness? I never get the flu though. This red bump you see is hard and feels hot. Yuch, glad I don't have to work. I couldn't even hardly type last night. Sucks to be me right now.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 08:28 AM

Yikes!<br><br>I swear by these shots...for some reason, I have yet to get even a cold since having them (6-7 years).<br><br>I always have a sore arm the next day, but not like yours...did you have a new nurse? <br><br>Ouch!<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 09:02 AM

Owie! And you do that willingly? Never had a flu shot.<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 09:16 AM

Neither have I!<br><br>Something about pumping questionable, possibly harmful pharmaceuticals into my dainty system makes me queezy!!!<br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 09:37 AM

The last time I had a flu shot, within 1 week I hadt the flu and missed 6 days of work. So I guess the flu shot worked. During the past 5 years I have not had the shot and I have not had the flu. Makes ya think...<br><br>Too Easy!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 09:51 AM

Ouch! That looks painful. Sorry you have that reaction to the shot. I have it yearly but never have I had anything resembling that reaction. Don't know that I'd get the shot if I did!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 10:01 AM

Everyone I know who got the flu shot got sick for several days from it. I never had a flu shot and have never been sick for more than a day and a half. And they tell you to get them every year - I'll pass.<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 10:21 AM

Since I am normally around so many people, there is no doubt I would get sick without a flu shot. <br><br>Schools are the worse...just think when you walk up or down the stairs and you hold onto the handrail, how many people may of had the flu...I get the flu without the flu shot...and it was always on Thanksgiving (US) or Christmas...never failed.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 10:48 AM

Try the subway in NYC. The flu is the most common passenger. <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 12:37 PM

I am with you.<br>I never had a flu shot and I only get sick like once every 2 years.<br>A friend of mine the shot every flu season and it works for him, however he always gets sick when its not flu season go figure.<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 12:47 PM

We have an old building that recirculates germs and I used to always catch stuff when it's going around. There are about half of us that get flu shots and we have the best attendance records.<br>Luckily I will forget this by next year and so go through it all over again. Every year I get the welt but it doesn't usually make my arm as sore. They gave us candy though. "Smarties" <br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 02:54 PM

I have never gotten a flu shot and have never gotten the flu.<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 03:00 PM

Ah yes Alec - you come from the "my body is a temple" school of thinking, eh?<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 03:18 PM

Even though your arm looks painful, I always gladly accept the sore, tired feeling the next day as compared to a week in bed with the flu. <br><br>My doctor once told me that it also helps increase protection against other problems too, such as certian types of colds.<br><br>However, I always try to get my shot on a Friday...I am going to dread it this year now!<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 03:31 PM

Cooking with lots of garlic, ginger and chiles are my cold and flu prevention.<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 03:31 PM

That is exactly why I get them. Mine was worse than anyone elses but a few people had smaller welts. I had it on Thursday an hour before I went home and other than redness it wasn't bad on Friday until just before I went home. By the time I got home it was really sore just like tendonitis. I put a wrist band on and it help. Ibuprofen does wonders and it helped last night to just keep it resting on my lap. A sling would have been great. It'll be fine in time to go back to work. Of course.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 03:46 PM

That looks terrible. I have never seen anyone react like that. I get a shot every year. It's mandatory for my job. My arm only got a little stiff once but nothing too serious.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 03:50 PM

right <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 03:56 PM

Well, I don't want to take the shot this year, but I think the flu will be particularly nasty. After all, "flu-like symptoms" are nothing to sneeze at. <br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 04:10 PM

I wish I didn't have to get the flu shot every year. I have quite the phobia about needles. I nearly faint every time. The nature of my profession though dictates that I be immunized against everything going.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 04:27 PM

Cooking with lots of garlic, ginger and chiles are my cold and flu prevention<br><br>Gheee you sound Korean<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 04:31 PM

Been lucky the past 5 or 6 years. No flu shots, and nothing worse than a few bad colds. Luck I guess, but I've dodged the bullet for quite a while.<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 04:34 PM

No Carp - just enlightened. And healthy - no cold in the last three and a half years.<br><br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 04:38 PM

Great<br>Plus no Vampire bites toooooo.<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 04:40 PM

You follow my logic.<br><br>So do we get to see a different facial feature tonight? Perhaps your other eye?<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 04:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Plus no Vampire bites toooooo.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Nothing wrong with a Vampire bite. Depends who the vampire is. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 04:50 PM

No its not Holloween yet i don't want to scare everyone yet.<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 05:09 PM

Uh-oh - sounds like Marg has experience with vampires...<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 08:03 PM

You wouldn't be allergic to eggs would you? I"m pretty sure it is on the sheet you sign. The three viruses they slect each year are grown on egg whites. Not sure wether the allergy would cause the welt. But that welt is way better then full blown influenza.<br>I've gotten a flu shot every year for at least the last ten. If you work ina high traffic hospital or school it really pays. Flu really blows.<br><br>

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 08:14 PM

I saw it on the sheet I signed. I thought of that but I have never had any problems with eggs. I had one this morning in fact. I have really sensitive skin though. I have had tags I have had to cut out of clothes because of irritation. And I have hay fever type allergies. When I had surgery the bandages and tape always break me out. No trouble with the latex gloves though. Just a wienie I guess. I bruise really easy like Mom.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams

Re: Flu Shots - 10/19/02 08:48 PM

You're smart though to go through with the shot anyway. Full blown influenza is not the same thing as a cold. It is a killer in the elderly and the very young. An otherwise healthy adult can weather the effects but it is debilitating, lasting up to 2 weeks. I had the flu once and I won't forget how terrible it was.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Flu Shots - 10/21/02 05:48 AM

Right. A bruise and a sore arm is a small price to pay for avoiding full blown flu.<br><br>