A big blue?*

Posted by: MachOne

A big blue?* - 10/17/02 03:17 PM

Just a thought that's been kicking around in that pool of sludge I laughingly refer to as my mind.<br><br>The Mac community has finally abandoned all pretense at believing that the 'Great White Hope' of hardware parity, the Mot G5, will ever see the inside of a Power Mac. Having been convinced that the G5 is indeed simply the vaporware it increasingly seemed to be, we have enthusiastically turned our attention on IBM's 64 bit Power4-Lite 'Great Blue Hope' instead and we speculate great things for this Wonder-To-Be.<br><br>And they may indeed come to pass. <br><br>But at what price to the Power Mac sales now and in the next 12 months. If we 'know' that we're on for a massive performance boost 'real soon now', then what incentive is there to contemplate upgrading our pro hardware in the near future?<br><br>Will anyone be prepared to settle for a barely faster over-clocked dual G4 at a rather expensive price-point when there is much more to be offered just down the road?<br><br>I think not.<br><br>I believe Power Mac sales are going to tank - big time.<br><br>I hope Apple has a bunch of consumer goodies ready to go to make up the shortfall. I really do.<br><br>Nomex suit and balaclava on, extinguisher ready... <br><br>*For those non-antipodeans, a 'blue' in these parts means an error.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 03:58 PM

I thought exactly the same thing although anyone waiting would be foolish if they need one anytime soon. It will be at least a year, probably more before that new chip appears in an Apple tower and the price could be considerably more.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 04:08 PM

Its time to or for Apple to Dump Moto.<br>Moto market is "embedded Chip" TV, VCRs, CellPhones etc etc. Is their bread winner.<br><br>Apples Power PC chip was a lost leader - about 15% of Motos proc sales.<br>Since Moto is in a fight for its poor business management throught out the years. Let alone completely poor marketing skills they felt that.<br><br>The G5 will never be brought to the Mac - while the G4 still was selling??? Catch 22.<br><br>

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 04:09 PM

I don't deny there will be some who 'need' to upgrade immediately or at least in the near future, and that they will probably sigh a huge sigh, and drop the cash while mumbling expletives under their collective breath. My guess (and that's all it is obviously) would be that far more will look at the relatively small gains to be had from the G4 and say "Fsck it" and muddle along for a bit longer.<br><br>I dunno about the price thing...will Apple risk overpricing the new hardware and potentially stall their sales, or will they price them keenly in order to get momentum happening? Jeez, I really don't know any more. Apple these days is doing some awfully un-Apple things. I certainly don't feel I know the company as well as I used to.<br><br>Or maybe it's just me getting old? <br><br>One thing's for sure, they need to get some improved CPU into the towers and sooooon!!! <br><br>

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 04:11 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The G5 will never be brought to the Mac - while the G4 still was selling??? Catch 22.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Unfortunately, I fear you are right. <br><br>

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 04:15 PM

Its big time<br>Moto came out and said that statement.<br>Pont Blank and Public.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 04:50 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I believe Power Mac sales are going to tank - big time.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Going to tank???? The sales of PowerMacs have been in the toilet for over a year already... I don't know how much lower it can fall...<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 04:56 PM

I think we'll be a bit surprised. We'll see the G5 - it will be faster than what we have now. By the time the IBM chip is available in a Mac, while it will offer a speed increase, it won't be as big a deal by that time.<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: The irony... - 10/17/02 04:59 PM

isn't this what the PC buyers had to decide. Gee should I get a 1.4Ghz P4 or wait for that 1.8Ghz or maybe the 2.2Ghz or the 2.4Ghz.<br><br>I think people will buy the computer they need, when they need it.<br><br>[color:red]live free or die</font color=red>

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 05:00 PM

I agree... we will see a G5 from Moto next year (perhaps a slower one than originally planned). I think even after Apple accepts the Power4 chip into the PowerMac line, they will sell it at the high end and keep the G5 for lower end chips.<br><br>Of course, they could just push the G4 to 1.5 ghz and call it the G5... that would be a fine how-do-you-do!!!<br><br>

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 05:51 PM

Hey, I can see your new avatar and sig pix. Cool!!!<br><br>Musta worked. <br><br>

Re: The irony... - 10/17/02 05:54 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>isn't this what the PC buyers had to decide. Gee should I get a 1.4Ghz P4 or wait for that 1.8Ghz or maybe the 2.2Ghz or the 2.4Ghz.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'd probably agree if we were just talking incremental improvements here, but we're speculating quantum leaps. And if we're not, then what's all the IBM chip fuss about?<br><br>

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 05:55 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>We'll see the G5 - it will be faster than what we have now.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You have much more faith in Mot than I have. <br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: The irony... - 10/17/02 05:57 PM

isn't that chip going to be available next year. That 12 months of incremental improvements in the current hardware. Maybe we will see two revs of the PowerMac, a price drop and then a new chip that will be available only in the top of the line PowerMac.<br><br>[color:red]live free or die</font color=red>

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 05:58 PM

Don't forget... Apple can re-release the 604 chip and call it a G5... it has nothing to do with what Moto produces! <br><br>

Re: The irony... - 10/17/02 06:01 PM

Right JonnyCat<br>I read in a article a while back that basicaly said that the typical - PC user in a office setting useing MS office does not need a computer running faster then a 500 mhz PC. The computer is simply waitig for the user to make an input.<br><br> Certainly when it comes to games or high end grahics more mhz is better - But its gets to the point that even your monitor cannot refresh at that rate of mhz speed so it all becomes pointless to the end user.<br><br>IMO<br>The PC industrie has push the mhz speed out of a very seriouse market.\<br>The low end<br>the prosumer end<br>highend.<br><br>They just gave out great game boxes for 599 they could have raked in some bucks IMO<br><br>

He he he he... :-) - 10/17/02 06:02 PM

:-)<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: A big blue?* - 10/17/02 09:32 PM

We are waiting for budgets to go through but we are looking at upgrades early next year and we have to have them no matter what. The bad news, newsroom gets nice G4 towers(too bad for them), good news, composing gets dual processors! YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!(did i mention i work in composing?)<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams