Apple not going to Boston

Posted by: Anonymous

Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 09:20 AM

They just announced that they disagree with MacWorld's decision to go to Boston and Apple says they won't go. Further, they said that they are rethinking the upcoming MacWorld in NY.<br>Sounds to me like they don't appreciate being told where to go and I don't blame them. As much as I like Boston, if Apple feels more comfortable in NYC ,then so be it. After all, the concessions to Macworld from Boston shouldn't outweigh the participation of Apple in NY.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 09:23 AM

What does that mean 'reconsidering this year's MWNY'?<br><br>Does that mean they won't even go to 2003's NY conference...?<br><br>What does that have to do with 2004 in Boston?<br><br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 09:23 AM

My guess is that they are showing who is boss.<br>Their beef is with the show promoters (IDG)as opposed to MacWorld publishers.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by schlomo on 10/17/02 12:27 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 09:28 AM

Read the article on the MacMinute homepage. They aren't going to a Boston MacWorld at all, and since NewYork is having it's last expo in 2003, they are considering not going to that one either. I suspect that they won't go to it in 2003. The cost of exhibiting at a trade show is staggering - especially when you HAVE to be the biggest & best booth at the show (that usually happens when the damn show is named after your company )<br><br>Thankfully, they are fully committed to the SF show, which usually gets more attention anyway. Perhaps Jobs should consider Las Vegas for a show. Much cheaper to travel there from anywhere in North America. More hotel rooms, more restaurants, everything is within a 5 to 10 minute drive, if not walking distance. No problem getting a room. Plenty to do after the show. AND, they are building an Apple store in Las Vegas.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 09:30 AM

Talk about sour grapes. <br><br>My guess is they're tired of having to come up with the show-stopper every six months...<br><br>Once every year is probably a LOT less pressure- and cost too, you're right.<br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 09:34 AM

My uncle builds trade show booths for a living (well, he's a vice president of the company, he doesn't actually build them) and I know he makes a very good living... having seen some of the costs involved, I can't even imagine what it costs Apple to attend one MacWorld.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 09:53 AM

i am a member of MACUL - the Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning. each year, MACUL has a large conference in detroit or grand rapids and it is attended by thousands of teachers and administrators, etc. apple typically appears at this conference and provides laptops for people to use while at the conference (last year they were airport enabled). it was darn cool, but i can't begin to imagine how expensive this was...apple's booth had a bus that you entered on one end and walked though viewing OS X on various computers and they had the neat new iMacs, etc. $$$<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 10:34 AM

It's all BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 02:12 PM

Apple made a statement some time ago that the company "wants" to get out of the EXPO arena all together. Apple does not like the idea that its customers feel that at every Expo Apple will have new products.<br><br>Like what DaddyMac mention Apple has to hurry something out every 6 months.<br><br>Apple is merely carring out its plan to Not get people "assuming" that some great event is going to happen every 6 months. Just so happens that the move to Boston played into their hands and the lower cost will help the promoters to get more venders if Apple goes MIA.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 02:16 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 02:31 PM

There's a lot of speculation that Apple wants to save money and this Boston move is as good an excuse as any. There's certainly no logic in pulling out of MWNY 2003 if the Boston move is their real concern.<br><br>Then again, if money is the motivator, then MWSF is bound to get the chop as well. And Paris.<br><br>It all sounds a bit non-Apple. The Mac community has come to embrace these events as part and parcel of the uniquely Mac way things are done. Sorta like the iTools and iApps added value approach. Taking them away will lessen the Mac experience to some degree. To what degree remains to be seen, but this is certainly an unusual move by Jobs.<br><br>I guess the upside is that Apple can exhibit at 'regular' PC events like PC World Expo where its potential new customer base is probably cruising for something new and exciting. But Apple will be a small fish in that pond in comparison to its whale-ish dimensions at the various MacWorlds.<br><br>I wonder if Jobs hasn't lost the plot a little lately?<br><br>Flame on dudes and dudettes...<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 02:34 PM

I just feel there is some politics going on between IDG and Apple. <br>Something doesn't smell right here.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 02:42 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I just feel there is some politics going on between IDG and Apple. <p><hr></blockquote><p>That's for sure. Although its hard to say where the problem lies. The article on MC News suggests quite strongly that Apple has pulled this out of the bag with no prior warning to IDG. So what's SJ up to? Is he getting into bed with another Expo group where he has more control? Has he had his power threatened by IDG's 'unilateral' decision to move? If so, why didn't he gently remind them they needed his OK to shift?<br><br>I believe he wants the rift.<br><br>So, as I said earlier, goodbye MWSF as well. *sigh*<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 02:54 PM

I agree<br>However Apple made a statement long before IDG move to Boston. That Apple wants its customers to get out of the habit of assuming that in every Expo Apple will have some great new product to show. Apple feels that it has lost control and they are always put under a Gun by exposing themselves at the shows.<br><br>When Apple is ready they will themselves make the annoucements - just like the new All Dual Tower line up which was done online.<br><br>Keep in mind that there are the Euro Expo and the Japan Expo - Jobs mentioned that many people have spent long hours, day and nite to get those products ready for those shows. It must have cost Apple millions in just over time pay. Plus all the bitchiing from disappointed customers and products that was rushed out the door.<br><br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 05:29 PM

So then, they'll just call it "World"? Oh well, smaller badge-holders, I guess. :-/<br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 05:32 PM

Or "Mac Not Here World"<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Apple not going to Boston - 10/17/02 05:35 PM

... or Mac outta this World!<br><br>