What do you say guys...

Posted by: MacGizmo

What do you say guys... - 10/15/02 10:48 PM

Lurkers.... was fun while it lasted, but the last 20 or 30 posts in there are kind of ruining it, and may get that great piece of forum history erased.<br><br>The Five Word Threads... again, fun for a while, I enjoyed it, but it got old as well. <br><br>Donuts... I never understood any attraction to this thread nor did I find an ounce of humor in it, but obviously you guys loved it - so that's cool, but cmon... do we really have to hijack every thread with stupid donut and milk comments. I'm picking on donuts because it's recent. But virtually ever thread that gets posted gets hijacked, and I'm just as guilty as anyone in here.<br><br>Lets ad these threads to the list too:<br>"Lets See How Far We Can Go"<br>"American's Aren't Fat... NO WAY"<br>"Wow, when we stop..."<br>"Only 2120 More to Go"<br>"It's The Long Weekend"<br><br><br>All very fun, I started some of these, and participated in the rest. All fun indeed, and one might even say much needed. But old and stale. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!<br><br>And while we're at it... the posts for the sake of keeping a conversation going... you know, like the way Carp and I go back and forth with the Rufus/Cat insults. I can't speak for Carp, but I have nothing at all against him or his cat, but fealt the need to keep prodding him to keep a thread going. I don't know why, but that's the case. If I could count how many times Alec and I insulted each other over at MC, I would be old and gray by the time I finished... it's all in good fun, but then again, Alec and I had an understanding, and we were really the only ones "in on it." Over here we have a lot of "piling-on" with the insults that are meant all in good fun, but when people gang up, it isn't fun for the poor b@stard on the end of the insults. And for a new member of the board, it may be just enough to keep them from staying or even registering to begin with. How do we know that those 3 to 5 anonymous users every night aren't people checking out the forums and leaving when they see this mess?<br><br>I looked back just a short month to two months back in Lounge Posts and now realize how unhappy I've become with what I helped create. My original intention with "Lurkers" was to get the few people here who weren't posting to particpate. I never dreamed it would have kicked off such a fiesta!<br><br>This place has actually gone far beyond "The Lost Weekend" at MC and any other bout of siliness over there. And believe me, Alec and I put on some pretty good shows. Not even my "Boing-Boing" thread got as far as even our smallest 5 word thread here - and it got deleted!<br><br>I guess what I'm saying is, I know most of the people here (as well as you can know someone online, anyway). And I know that most everyone has a life outside this forum, and I would much rather hear about that, than post they beyond-mindless garbage we have all (myself included) been spewing all over the furniture here at MM. I'm not talking about the "What?" Thread, because that was actually more than just banter, it was a showcase of the talent here in the forum. I'm also not saying "MC Rules Apply - No Fun Allowed." But I think we need to show some self-restraint.<br><br>There have been quite a few new registrations here in the last week or two, a huge increase in posts, and a huge drop in "content & interest." At the same time I have noticed that Sean, Trog, TreeBeard, bDog, Shooshie, MachOne, John and a few others have barely even peeked in, let alone post. I'm not going to presume why, but I'm afraid that part of it may be that I/we have just burried this place in BS so deep that not even the largest shovel can dig out the good.<br><br>Lord knows that I like to "pile-on" but to be honest, I would much rather post meaningful text rather than the one-liners we've been doing. I'm not going to mention any names, but there are several MC members here who have been joining me in piling on the BS here, that wouldn't even think of doing it (at least not this much) over at MC. Why are we doing it here? This was supposed to be our "vacation bungalo" away from "them." <br><br>So whataya think guys... can we stop pissing on the floor in here and start treating this place like our own house? If not, I'll just say "WHAT?" and you will force me to unleash the largest flood of post padding BS the likes of which the world has never known.<br><br>Before you ask, yes it's really me, and no I haven't smoked any illegal substances nor consumed large quantities of alcohol<br><br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/15/02 10:54 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Before you ask, yes it's really me, and no I haven't smoked any illegal substances nor consumed large quantities of alcohol<p><hr></blockquote><p>So it's your night off then? <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/15/02 11:18 PM

Good idea. Sometimes I wonder why we haven't been thrown out. It goes to show how good-natured our hosts are. We need to find a balance with some humor and banter remaining. I still have some red Photoshop tennis ammunition just no time to put it together. I did like the 5 word stories but thought you were focused on way too much. It would be nice to have one and add a rule that no one from the forum could be mentioned more than one time in the story. Anyway I am part of the problem but would like to be part of the solution as well. If I have to stop being silly all the time I will burst though. See everyone tomorrow night.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams
Posted by: margadagio

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 02:08 AM

I didn't participate much last night because it WAS getting old quick. A little friendly banter is okay but this was over the top. I like to hear what other folks are up to in their lives. That is why I posted the "It's the long weekend" thread. It didn't take long for it to degenrate into absolute silliness. I couldn't care less about it being hijacked if it were for some meaningful dialgue on another subject. Sometimes something related crops up and folks continue on discussing the new subject. That's cool by me. I just used this as an example. There were other threads too that ended the same way.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 05:09 AM

I have to agree with you about the content of this forum lately, mindless posts with no point. <br><br>I mean I have no problem with a little fun thread now and then, but give me some substance along with it sometimes too. It doesn't have to be intelligent talk all the time, but then it doesn't have to be at the other end of the spectrum either. <br><br>If I came in here as a newbie and saw some of this useless crap, I would think twice about coming here again.<br><br>Maybe it is just our way of dealing with the craziness of the world right now, trying to forget about the horrors around us and immersing ourselves in superficial antics.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 05:27 AM

No problem at all. Just as long as it doesn't degenerate into a haven for the hate mongers. The "What?" thread was truly a showcase for the talent in here.<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by schlomo on 10/16/02 08:28 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: lesh

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 05:59 AM

I logged out last night feeling a little less than happy about the state of events here in the lounge and wondering who would be left with cleaning up the mess when it was over. My mood was brightened by seeing your post here this morning, MG. Exact dictionary definitions, aside - maybe I just have my own line of distinction between wanton silliness and rampant silliness - and boy it went way over that yesterday. And some of the other stuff...<br><br>I'm know a recent addition to these forums but I certainly feel l have become part of the whole of this odd little virtual family, and I don't want to see our interactions get out of control either. Not quite what I had in mind by "balance" to the threads of substance.<br><br>Now if you'll excuse me - I have some work to do...whiiiiirrrrrhhhhWWWWWHHHIIIRRHHHwwwhiirrrhhh...sound of the vacuum as Lesh starts cleaning up all the donut crumbs...<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 06:28 AM

You and I and a few others...<br><br>"kettle"... "black"...<br><br>It'll all happen again.<br><br>
Posted by: Entish

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 07:45 AM

I agree wholeheartedly <br>idle titles, small talk, way to many of them to wade through and read... nothing solid to chew on..<br><br>

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 07:49 AM

I'm not proposing that we not have a little fun in here... but the "CONSTANT" posting for the sake of posting is ruining the forum. What set me off on this whole rant was a thread Sean posted yesterday about how much reading he had to catch up on. The post had a picture of the main forum column where the new posts are shown.... there were hundreds of new posts showing and I can only imagine that with the exception of the wedding pictures Krasni posted, they were ALL complete BS! I would love a 25% BS vs. 75% intelligence ratio in the posting, but I would even be happy with 50-50 at this point.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 07:55 AM

The only reason this forum seems to be teeming with nonsense is because of the fact that every time the threads are added to, they jump to the top!<br><br>Can we lobby to have that system changed? I mean, it's convienent and all- and I for one initially thought it was a GOOD system, but now I see how it can be royally abused...<br><br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 08:59 AM

I don't know that it's necessary, many actually prefer it this way (I know I do). But as you said, it can be abused, as well have all demonstrated! It was just fine until we all went loopy!<br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 09:06 AM

First of all, please accept my appoligy for the doughnut thing. I'll accept responsibility for bringing up Krispy Kream and cold milk. Yea, it did get out of hand. For that I am sorry. I am new to this and was a lurker for awhile. When I joined the biggest threads were "What" and "Lurkers". What was super, it fired me up to play with PS. Lurkers was OK, I did not understand what it was about, but I think I do now. Observing what I did when I first joined, I thought that was the norm. I am very serious when I say I get much enjoyment from reading the posts, watching the banner between friends (and foes). This site and most of the threads make me laugh, challenge me and instill the desire to try new things "WHAT".<br><br>I benefit from being past of a community with a common interest and look forward to checking out what is new and which direction things are headed. I want to be part of this community, not a hit & run poster! <br><br>If you felt that I got out of control, I'am sorry. I will try not to let it happen again. OK...I am back now...being much wiser about perceptions and reactions. <br><br>

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 10:23 AM

Wasn't placing blame my friend... I just think it was all going on way too long.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 10:33 AM

I know you were not placing blame. Stuff like that has it's place...maybe iChat. <br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 12:39 PM

yeah...after hitting a few threads the past few days, i realized that i'd have to be a little bit more discriminatory in how i selected threads to read. approaching 100% BS is easy to ignore and i was doing this far too often with most of the threads. 25% BS to 75% substance seems very doable. heck 50:50 would be a huge improvement (imho). <br><br>at least we're talking about it now...and i don't feel like the big spoilsport bringing it up by myself. whew! (humor me and let me think i am not a spoilsport-- thanx)<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: carp

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 12:46 PM

I like that Sean 25% and 75% idea.<br>That Lurker thread was just to insane. I posted once on page 6 and never went back. In fact that thread caused me to change my view from expanded to collasp.<br><br>I like to view in expanded mode because I can see "Who" is posting in a thread and I can read their post titles which also gives a clue to whats inside.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by carp on 10/16/02 03:47 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: sean

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 01:09 PM

i switched from expanded to collapsed for the same reason. like you, i like to see the changing subject lines (post titles) and how the threads themselves break down, etc. as soon as lurkers falls off of the main page, i think i'll switch back to expanded. whahoo!<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: What do you say guys... - 10/16/02 01:15 PM

I think we're off to a good start here...<br><br>