Advice

Posted by: MacGuru

Advice - 10/13/02 12:26 PM

I am considering getting a new Mac and the piece of advice I am after is which should I get?<br><br>I am considering either:<br><br>800 Mhz TiBook<br>17" Screen iMac<br>or<br>Dual 1Ghz PowerMac G4 with 17" studio display.<br><br>Which do you guys think I should get? (currently running a 466 Mhz Graphite iBook but I want something a bit faster and that can run Quartz Extreme)<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 12:27 PM

Dual 1Ghz PowerMac G4 with 17" studio display.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 12:28 PM

Well I would go with the dual gig<br>But if you need portability go with the TiBook<br><br>If you can get the dual gig then the iMac is not in the running<br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 12:30 PM

The thing is I could get the Dual Gig but it costs more money, which could be spent on other things (I have to consider such things as I am now a student)<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 12:31 PM

Course it depends on the budget and what you want to do with it.<br><br>Dual ghz with 17 if expenses don't matter...and you don't need portability.<br><br>Powerbook if you want the portability.<br><br>iMac if you don't plan on doing processor-intensive work (dual would be better in that case)<br><br>Tell you what, give me the dual and I'll rate it for you <br><br><br>Either way, wait till MWSF before any purchase...I'm sure something new will be out by then.<br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 12:33 PM

Since you are a student get the TiBook<br>It will serve you much better in the school run.<br><br>

That is what I am planning to do really, I don't have the money for it yet anyway But I will do soon...<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason
Posted by: MacGizmo

Depends on what you want to do with the Mac. If you are simply doing web surfing, MS Office type things, etc... well, an iBook would be enough, plus it gives you mobility.<br><br>Casual graphics or video work, we surfing, Office apps, web development would be great for the iMac or TiBook.<br><br>If you are doing anything with heavy graphics, larger than 2 to 5 minute videos, audio work or serious web development, or you want the most speed from Jaguar, you have to get the Tower.<br><br>Avoid the Studio Display... way overpriced... get the Formac 17" Gallery Display. It's cheaper and much better resolution.<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 12:35 PM

That link took me to a $1699 display...cheaper? nope! LOL<br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 12:36 PM

Ah but with student prices the 17" studio is only 50 more expensive and I want to custom build if I were to get the tower so i can get the Geforce 4 Ti. I hardly ever do much that requires much power except games...<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 12:46 PM

That was the 20" display... try looking at the 17"<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:32 PM

If you want better prices, come over to the US, get a TiBook, and when you go back home, make believe you had it when you left in the first place. That way you can get the computer, have a trip (and see some of your Mac friends over here ), and still come out with money left over at the end.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:35 PM

But as OSXaddict said i would wait until MWSF 2003 for that.<br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:35 PM

I would if i could aford the air fairs (would make it more expensive overall)...<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:42 PM

Or buy it here... give it someone here to send to you in the mail!<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:46 PM

Or he could place it in a Gateway box and tell customs that he just bought some Steaks?<br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:49 PM

hehehehe!<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: greenme1

And jinx his new mac? <br><br>

ah but i couldn't do that they don't allow the importing of meat to the UK in luggage anymore after the foot and mouth epidemic last year...<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:50 PM

By the time January rolls around Gateway may be nothing but stakes in the ground <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:52 PM

Thats exporting of meat - Mad Cow<br>Which brings us back to Gateway again<br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:53 PM

Funny how we all equate Gateway with smelly cow carcus!!!<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:54 PM

I was thinking smelly cow something.. <br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:55 PM

no It isn't! they don't want it to happen again!<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 01:58 PM

It was only in England - Mad cow<br>US is hoof and mouth.<br><br>Mad Cow can be transmitted to humans<br>Hoof and Mouth is cow to cow -cattle<br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 02:01 PM

BSE is long over and was not only in the UK but all over europe, anyway europe boycotts US beef due to all the hormones used...<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason

Re: Advice - 10/13/02 02:21 PM

Hardly the US is the single largest exporter of Beef.<br>Not sure where you info comes from??<br><br>There are more cattle in Texas alone compared to the population in England.<br><br>Even more interesting is that California is the worlds largest expoter of Rice.<br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/14/02 05:17 AM

That maybe so but no US beef is imported into the EU the rest of the world maybe but not inside the EU.<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Advice - 10/14/02 05:19 AM

Where does the EU get their meat? South America?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/14/02 06:11 AM

Mainly from inside the EU, we are capable of farming you know...<br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason

Re: Advice - 10/14/02 07:09 AM

How did this thread go from helping out a MacUser with a buying decision to an all-out FOOD FIGHT??? <br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Advice - 10/14/02 07:44 AM

I blame "da-kine"... and it's "author"! <br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/14/02 07:44 AM

Ahhhhh.... the root of all evil!!!<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Advice - 10/14/02 07:57 AM

you just gave me an idea for some weekend fun sometime. An all out food fight!!!! <br><br><br><br>

Re: Advice - 10/14/02 12:30 PM

Makes me think of that scene in Animal House...John Belushi...<br><br>