How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur

Posted by: cherry

How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 08:36 AM

http://www.iabolish.com/support/<br><br>We cannot stand by.<br><br>30,000 civilians are dead. 1 million have been forced into the desert with no water. 400,000 more will die of starvation...unless we act. In the South, tens of thousands are still<br>enslaved, and thousands are still being driven from their lands, despite peace accords. Rights groups call the situtation in Sudan's Darfur region the "worst humanitarian crisis in the world." Yet, the international community is standing by as Darfur's Africans are being slaughtered by Sudan's radical Arab regime.<br><br>Come tell UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, Harvard's commencement speaker, to ACT against the hell in Darfur. "Never again" means action.<br><br> How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur<br><br>If you live in or around Massachusetts, you can join us for a rally at Cambridge Common in Harvard Square on June 9th to personally deliver the abolitionist message to Kofi Annan. Alternately, you can sign the online petition or make a donation<br><br>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 10:48 AM

We went into Iraq and ended the brutal slaughter going on there and all anyone in the US can do is complain about how we shouldn't have gone there. <br><br>Somebody needs to make up their mind about where we put our military. It's not like moving a couch around the living room. "No, I don't like it there. Put it there. Nope, don't like it there either. How about in that corner. Guess that doesn't work too."<br><br>"You're off the edge of the map, mate! Here there be monsters!"

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 11:27 AM

You really should learn to read.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur *DELETED* - 06/04/04 11:56 AM

Post deleted by DaddyMac
Posted by: hayesk

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 12:14 PM

Am I missing something here? I don't see where skul misread.<br><br>What does cherry suggest as a solution? It says "ACT" but what does that mean?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 12:23 PM

Darfur is in Africa, the Sudan, not Iraq.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 12:25 PM

That's originally why I posted what I did, but then I realized what exactly skul was trying to say....<br><br>My bad.<br><br>[color:red]You slap my back, I'll slap yours!</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 12:27 PM

Yep--see your point.<br><br>

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 01:59 PM

There is a difference between reading and making sense of what you read. <br><br>You're like a parrot that just repeats anything it hears without understanding the meaning behind it. <br><br>I made as much sense as I could out of it, but clearly you didn't understand what I was saying. I'm guessing you just saw my name on a post, switched off your brain...again, and threw one of your oh so original posts to me.<br><br>You are like so many that charge into a room, hollering about the sky falling, but when asked what the solution is, you have none, or worse, you say, lets all make hand made signs and walk in a line. <br><br>How do you end world hunger? Make a sign<br>How about curing Aids? Make a bigger sign.<br>Oh look, people in that country are hungry because their ruler is pocketing all of the foregin aid. What now? Make lots of signs and walk in a big crowd.<br>The Government is prying into our personal lives, allowing abortion, stem cells, illegal wars.... I know. Lets all lay down in the street until the cops have to drag us away.<br><br>Yeah, that'll show'em. (rolling eyes)<br><br><br><br>"You're off the edge of the map, mate! Here there be monsters!"

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 02:20 PM

This petition is speaking to the U.N. This is what the anti-slavery group is asking for…<br><br>I therefore urge you to:<br><br>1.) Demand the UN send troops to stop the slaughter NOW. The UN must stop the murderers, bring food and medicine to starving people.<br><br>2.) The UN must conduct an investigation into reports of slavery in Darfur.<br><br>3.) The UN must reverse the ethnic cleansing and ensure the safe return of Darfuri refugees.<br><br>4.) The UN must ensure those leaders and officers responsible for genocide face an international tribunal.<br><br>5.) The UN must remove Sudan from its Human Rights commission.<br><br>6.) The UN must campaign to free all the slaves.<br><br>This has nothing to do with Iraq. I know that many people have this sort of "over there" feeling about the rest of the world, but it is not like that.<br><br>hayesk, I am just glad you didn't give your usual response of…<br>'well if you care about {a} then what about {b}. I am passing around information that I think is worth while. I don't know why people waste their time saying all of this nonsense. Either you agree and you take action— join the rally, sign the petition, etc.<br><br>I am not trying to argue with anyone. Do you/they feel guilty in some way? I can not see how this would be offensive to anyone.<br><br>If you want more information, it is all right there. For example:<br><br>Don't Turn a Blind Eye to Sudan's Slaves<br><br>

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 02:23 PM

I fail to see the point.<br><br>

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 02:27 PM

Why???? (rolling eyes) You have PROBLEMS!<br><br>What a heinous human being you are!<br> This you prove everytime I read your words.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 02:30 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>This petition is speaking to the U.N.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And which country in the U.N. do you think will be the one to send in troops? Surely you don't think the blue helmets will go in?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Demand the UN send troops to stop the slaughter NOW.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Read as: Since the U.S. and Britian are usually the only two willing to significantly contribute troops it'll be our boys fighting and the other countries will come in after folks around the world have called us baby killers to do some light support work unless we can drag them in kicking and screaming with us.<br><br>That said, I agree wholeheartedly with you that it's a good idea to petition the U.N. Just don't expect the UN to take any real action other than pushing the usual toothless paper resolutions across some desks. I really don't know why countries with UN resolutions passed against them don't simply laugh at the UN and toss the ripped shreds of the resolution right back complete with [censored] skid marks, or use them as rolling papers. The UN is good for humanitarian support and moving supplies around, that's about it.<br><br>If you really want relief that requires troop action, petition NATO.<br><br>

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 02:35 PM

"Oh look! Someone who does not agree with me," cries Cherry. "that makes them an evil person."<br><br>Come on, Cherry, time to get new material. Geez, you're like some shut in with fifty cats, who never leaves the house and suspects the local paper boy of working for the CIA.<br><br>Get a real life.<br><br>As for trying to educate you about the kind of person I am... Pearls before a swine.<br><br>"You're off the edge of the map, mate! Here there be monsters!"

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 07:37 PM

You might be right. Perhaps then I will send a message suggesting a petition to NATO as well. this group has a pretty wide reach. I linked up with them through HRW a while ago. Last week a rep was on o'riely—but I could not bare to watch! <br><br>Really, it takes about a minute to sign the petition. There is also a link to another that will be sent to many world *leader* Kind of like "the heads of the 5 famlies", it doesn't hurt to ask right? Remembering Rwanda, this should not go on any longer.<br><br>

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 07:54 PM

You are vulgar because you would pervert a thread intended to help stop human trafficking so you could 'cut me down' or something. I really don't care what you call me! Parrot, fine, if two people from this forum help the cause because I posted this—great! that was my intention.<br><br>Your disagreement is unfounded!<br><br><br><br>Those figures in the back ground of the image are what I am talking about.<br><br>http://hrw.org/english/docs/2004/06/03/sudan8725.htm<br>the root cause of this humanitarian crisis is the Sudanese government’s campaign of “ethnic cleansing” against civilians of three ethnic groups. Only by addressing the human rights crisis can donor governments hope to solve the humanitarian disaster, Human Rights Watch said. <br><br>But you don't like me, so this whole thing MUST be fabricated to make you angry.<br><br>This is a public forum. The same to me a leafleting in the street, understand?<br><br><red><br>“Humanitarian assistance will save lives, but strong political action is also needed to stop the gross human rights abuses causing the displacement and starvation of these farmers,”</red> Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Geez, you're like some shut in with fifty cats,<p><hr></blockquote><p>Minus the fi'ity cats and that would be great! No more traffic, no more "hanging out" tell the friends to leave me be, concentrate on my personal work! Where do I sign up?<br><br>To me, you are really nobody anyway!<br><br>Peace Out, try to have a fun weekend too then.<br><br>

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 08:00 PM

P.S. Scroll to the top of this page for more good links.<br><br>b<br><br>bu<br><br>bum<br><br>bump!<br><br>

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 08:04 PM

"The attack took place in at daw...stern Chad)<br><br>______________________________<br>http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/action/index.asp?ms=F1<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 08:10 PM

I'll be planting a tree tomorrow, hope that helps.<br><br>I'll post pics tomorrow about the tree that helped end the atrocities in Darfur.<br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 09:17 PM

What ever, Cherry. Once again, you totally missed the meaning of my posts. Maybe if you can stop basking in your own glory for a minute, you'd learn something. <br><br><br><br>"You're off the edge of the map, mate! Here there be monsters!"
Posted by: bird

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/04/04 11:32 PM

keep signing and throwing kido....your not alone..<br>A boy was walking along the beach and saw that millions of starfish had washed on the shore. He began throwing them back, one at a time. A man walking along the beach noticed him and said, "Why are you doing that? You can't possibly make a difference." The boy picked one up and tossed it into the water and said to the man, "It made all the difference to that one." <br><br><br><br>

Re: How YOU can help end the atrocities in Darfur - 06/05/04 08:41 AM

Thanks Bird!<br><br>