What to do?

Posted by: yoyo52

What to do? - 10/11/02 09:06 PM

I just got an email that reads as follows:<br><br>"Hi,<br><br>Below is a list of Mac Software titles I currently have for sale. These are CD-R back up copies.<br><br>Shipping is FREE in the US and Canada. If you live out of the US please email me for a shipping quote.<br><br>All CDs come with a serial number for installation purposes. They are guaranteed to work.<br><br>If you have any questions or would like to order please feel free to email me.<br><br>To unsubscribe please scroll to the bottom of this email."<br><br>After this there's a long list of software titles, from Photoshop 7 for US$30 to VPC 5 with Windows 2000 for the same price. This is just plain robbery, I think. Who should be made aware of this person's theft?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: margadagio

Re: What to do? - 10/11/02 09:08 PM

In Canada I would call CrimeStoppers<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: What to do? - 10/11/02 09:22 PM

Pirates at the gate.<br><br>A friend of mine that visited China a few years back bought 2 CDs.<br>For 50 bucks, the CDs were chocked full of programs that were all High End Pro Apps with both Win and Mac versions.<br><br>The CDs had a Chinese made "Hacker" you unstuff using one hacker and then installed the apps using another hacker. The Hacker gave you all the needed serial numbers.<br><br>Caveat!<br>No documentions.<br>No read me files.<br>No manuals. Who does that any more.<br><br>Big Kicker<br>You still cannot register the program with the developer - so no tech help.<br>You get a mixed bag of the program versions. Like Quark is the English/Britain version - Photoshop is the German Version and so on.<br><br>Bottom line its Pirated.<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: What to do? - 10/11/02 09:25 PM

Really i had no idea!? <br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 04:56 AM

give me that email address right away!<br><br>http://raszl.net
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 07:39 AM

Buy 'em, dupe 'em, sell 'em!<br><br>It's the Software Pyramid Game! Everbody... jump right in!!!<br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 09:24 AM

I find it much easier in the long run to just buy it. I will admit that I have had thousands (yes, thousands!) of pirated software titles over the years. Out of all those titles, I ended up trashing all but around 15 to 20 almost immediately. Out of the 15 to 20, I used them for about 2 to 3 weeks, tossed 5 or 6 more, and ended up buying the ones that I actually liked enough to use.<br><br>For me, Pirated software has its place. I refuse to buy software anymore unless I can use it for a reasonable amount of times first, and I don't want crippleware or something that saves with a watermark. If I like it, I buy it. If I don't, it's in the trash.<br><br>Since OSX came out, I haven't used any "new" software, mostly because anymore, it takes too much time to find the stuff and download it than it's worth. <br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 09:31 AM

The guy selling these apps is just making bucks off of someone else's labor. That's theft, period. I understand what you say about using "borrowed" apps until you're sure you want them, and then paying. This is different. The guy is making a profit off of selling burned CDs. He belongs in jail.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 09:45 AM

Oh, I agree with locking up those that make a profit off of it.<br><br>I have downloaded some apps to try them out. Found out some where more than I needed and so trashed them. Like MacGizmo, if I find one that I like and will use, I'll buy it. That's why I plan on buying FCP3 here soon...I loved playing with it.<br><br><br><br>

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 09:53 AM

I agree... "Selling" them is completely wrong, no matter how you slice it. They should go to jail. But I don't totally agree with putting away people who are found to have pirated software on their computer because (A) If they like it that much, they will probably buy it. (B) If they don't buy it, they probably never were going to buy it or use it, so... (C) the software company really didn't lose any money on it, because it was a sale them were never going to make anyway.<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 09:59 AM

I agree, MG. It's the making money off of selling the pirated software that burns me up. I have lots of problems with copyright laws, by the way. The way things are now, it's almost impossible to make use of articles for a class, for instance, without having to make the students pay through the nose. I have a course pack for one of my classes that costs 45 bucks, and more than half the price is because of copyright permissions. There are some folks who will charge a flat fee, of a couple of hundred bucks, for duplicating even one page of material that they own. That's just plain wrong, I think. I also think it's plain wrong to keep extending the duration of copyright just because Disney can make money off of something they own. Who ever thought that a Mickey Mouse would be the driving force behind copyright law!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 10:02 AM

Copyrights are not enforceable in the education environment. You can reproduce ANYTHING for the purpose of education. Of course, that doesn't mean students can copy anything and call it there own. At least, that's the way it is in the design/advertising business. <br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 10:05 AM

That's the way it used to be. No more, my friend. Except in cases where you decide to use something on the spur of the moment (say an article appeared in the newspaper and you decided you want to use it that very day in class), you have to get copyright permission for duplicating any and everything.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: pirating as previewing - 10/12/02 10:08 AM

You make a good point about usig pirated software to essentially test-run the package. I know I've made purchasing decisions based on the fact that some companies (like Corel and Adobe) don't even let you take their application for a test run before you by it. I would use pirated software for that reason perhaps. Nut most of the time, if they don't have the wherewithal to provide means to try out their software, I just don't buy it.<br><br><br>Though in my case, I've actually found alternatives to a lot of the big software makers for this reason. Small companies like Stone, Caffeine, and @Last just make a more of an effort to win my money, since they don't assume that they're going to get it.<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Don't know - 10/12/02 10:24 AM

what to do or what I would do either if I were in your situation. I just did a search on Google and there is a lot of information on "software piracy" so maybe that will help you make up your mind.<br><br>I found a page I want to read further because it has some reports concerning piracy on eBay, etc.<br><br>http://www.spa.org/piracy/<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 06:05 PM

Well, I'll tell you what, this is a huge topic for discussion (I think this may have been in a previous thread not too long ago). I imagine most people of this forum are very informed about what is going on in Hollywood, Congress, Redmond and the like. But if not... the Windows world is slowly but steadily working toward taking away nearly all freedoms. <br><br>They are keeping it incredibly quiet from the general public (very clever).<br>Sure, copyright infringement is bad... but to an extent. Yoyo makes the excellent point that selling that stolen software is terrible. Yes, I do believe that young person needs to spend some time with the suits downtown for a while.<br><br>But, what Hollywood and they're buddies are working on really has little to do with copyright infringement like that. They're going to stop you from making copies of the things YOU OWN.<br><br>This is a fantastic article for reasons to buy from Apple, if even just for the point of supporting freedom in computing!<br><br><br><br>Wow, I said "freedom" twice, I'm starting sound like Dubya! <br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Trog on 10/12/02 09:08 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 06:15 PM

Should we start calling you ditto head, Trog? <br><br>And you're right about the encroachment of money-grubbing jerks who may soon make it so that xerox machines and scanners become illegal.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: carp

Re: What to do? - 10/12/02 06:52 PM

Right Trog<br>Copy right laws are written losely.<br>All MS needs to do is change 50% of an idea and make it theirs.<br><br>Hence why all the distortion of standards and because MS has 95% of the market share they can Ram it down everyones throat that they invented it.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: What to do? - 10/13/02 12:10 AM

Yes, next I will begin using "words" and phrases such as, 'uninalienable rights' and my all time favorite, 'Strategery'<br><br><br><br><br>Dittohead? Uh, I don't think so... but at least he uses a mac!! <br><br><br>

Re: What to do? - 10/13/02 08:47 AM

You forgot "Resolve"... dubnuts has said the word "Resolve" something like 1,000 times since 9/11... <br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: What to do? - 10/13/02 09:33 AM

And he thought "resolve" was just a noise you make when you puke! <br><br>

Re: What to do? - 10/13/02 10:37 AM

Just saw the photo for the first time, Trog--hadn't loaded before, for some reason. Love it.<br><br>And about listening to the gentleman, MG--can't bring myself to do it.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"