Here we go again in MCF...

Posted by: DaddyMac

Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 01:47 PM

Politics, politics, politics..<br><br>I don't want to get sucked in, but sometimes they leave me no choice!!!!<br><br>(See '10/11: The Day America Changed' in the Lounge'...stomach churning at its best)<br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 01:49 PM

I noticed that post. The poster is a good guy though.<br><br>It is funny, my now ex and I are opposite in our views and our votes always cancel each other out, however, we always got along. <br><br>I guess it is easier to attack people via a post instead of face to face.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 01:51 PM

Sheesh... now you know why I'm over here more often than not! <br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 01:53 PM

I have always felt that sometimes people over in that 'other' forum tend to over-dramatize a lot of things as they relate to the political world.<br><br>Or maybe it's my narrow sense of historical perspective. <br><br>But, I digress...don't want to bring that heavy-handedness over here, where things are sunny, bright, and just my kind of attitude!<br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 02:01 PM

I like to hit and run just to piss em off <br><br>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 02:03 PM

I saw that- I wanted to throw my own 2 cents in after yours, but I'm waiting to see some more responses by the occupants of the political 'Panic Room', if you will.<br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 02:07 PM

Don't worry the a-holes will tear me apart <br>I get a good laugh out of them<br>Thank God they are not our leaders<br><br>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 02:08 PM

Well, I stirred things up yesterday...it is someone else's turn!<br><br>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 02:36 PM

"All right, 'Captain Capital Letters'"...that was clever!<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 02:40 PM

well, in shooshie's defense...the issue he raises (accurate or not) is very timely. it isn't like he is bringing up the 2000 elections or some other past event; he is speaking directly to the vote in congress from this week. politics is and has always been a big part of the forum. if you watch any news on tv or visit news related web sites, you'll see these same topics (e.g., the vote on iraq, the potential war on iraq). i think shooshie reads a lot of literature that isn't in the mainstream and synthesizes it in the form of his posts on that forum. you may disagree, but whining about it is probably the worst thing you can do (trust me, i know from experience just last week on this forum). you know what shooshie is going to write about more often than not, so you can just avoid any posts you see by him. i don't typically see shooshie engage in mudslinging for the sake of hearing himself speak and/or just getting a jab in on some political figure...shooshie is very sincere in what he posts and genuinely believes he is helping to spread a worthy message. the posts that merely say, "dubya sux" are a problem, but this is not what shooshie is doing -- people who respond to his post with sarcasm or snide comments provide an example of what i believe people were just complaining about yesterday.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 03:44 PM

Hey, I'm a member of this forum, too, y'know. I'm calling the shots as I see them. You registered your disagreement. What could be more fair? <br><br>Just remember, in the months to come; this is the America we all created. There is no looking back and blaming it on others. If it all turns out all right, and we have a liberated Iraq which thanks us, and nobody dies but the bad guys, and they get to keep their own oil and create a real democracy that is not run by the US government, then I will joyfully concede that I was shortsighted and wrong. <br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Thanks, Sean. *NM* - 10/11/02 03:46 PM

.<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Re: Thanks, Sean. *NM* - 10/11/02 04:28 PM

Ladies and Gentleman... you have just witnessed the shortest post in "Shooshie History!" <br><br><br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Yeah, it WAS to the point! - 10/11/02 05:59 PM

.<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 06:22 PM

I was more taking issue with what DLC posted afterwards...<br><br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 06:38 PM

stop the madness!!!!<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 07:31 PM

you went back, didn't you!<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 07:59 PM

I haven't read the post in question, but I certainly agree with the tone of what Shooshie put on this thread. We are committed, or about to be committed to something the outcome of which is murky at best.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 08:45 PM

I know, I know...sometimes my posts are a work in progress....lol...<br><br><br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>
Posted by: carp

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 09:02 PM

Well your post are alot more finished then mine. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 09:19 PM

I just went over to read Shooshie's post at MC and the responses. Interesting example of why political arguments never die <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: carp

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/11/02 09:42 PM

Right yoyo<br>My complaint is.<br>1) Those politicle threads are taking over the persona of the forum.<br>2) They do get into name calling - which to me is not called for.<br><br>I try to stay away from them but like DaddyMac but I to do get sucked in sometimes.<br><br>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 04:23 AM

I think it best to keep the politics and any discussion politics at MC.<br>This forum is lighthearted and fun lets keep it that way.<br>Why ruin a good thing,after all that is why we are here<br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 04:49 AM

You know someone will come over here and try to "get things going." I hope the good folks here don't take the bait. <br>I would hate to see all that negativity work it's way here. <br><br>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 05:18 AM

see, the funny thing is that you guys sit back and compain about what you hate while you also open the threads you hate and participate. perhaps you don't realize the power you have, especially here on this forum. let me give you a simple hint on how to avoid the frustration you feel -- from my browser window (see the red text):<br><br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 05:23 AM

Good point sean,if posts keep up here like that this forum will just be a mirror of MC<br><br><br>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 05:32 AM

I think that everyone knew that DaddyMac was pulling us in and we knew he was doing a "made you look."<br>But yes, sooner or later we will get a grinch visitor. You are right, just ignore rather than read and comment.<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 05:53 AM

We have the mighty forces of laughter and brevity and wit on our side - they won't stand a chance.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 05:57 AM

Don't forget I got my bat and iRock has her purse. You'll have to find something too. We'll keep folks in line.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 05:57 AM

well, i don't enjoy the lurkers or "made you look"-type posts, so i usually avoid them or just don't respond. i think MM participants are pretty clear that this is what they want and they can do as they choose. i try and participate in the threads that are more of what i want from a community. no big deal. works for me. any time you bring together thousands of people (MC) or even hundreds (here???), you are going to have different interests and tastes. guess that's what makes it great, especially as your mood changes from time to time -- you have ready conversation from many.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 05:59 AM

I'll find myself something appropriate!<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 07:33 AM

I was thinking Lesh needed something, too.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and [Unix] BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.<br>Jeremy S. Anderson

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 07:50 AM

I started doing the same thing as Sean has done...just staying away.<br><br>What is the old saying that is probably in the process of coming true for those types of posts...they will "only be preaching to the choir?<br><br>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 09:31 AM

The problem over at MC is, they have Sooooooo many people that the political/serious posts are just everywhere... you can't avoid them. They are also suffering from the fact that there hasn't been anything new in the Mac world lately, so there isn't a lot of activity in the "support" forums.<br><br>I probably wouldn't mind a few "serious" posts over here, because we don't have so many people that it gets to the point where you can't follow.<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 11:30 AM

C'mon, Sean...when have you EVER known me to start a political thread?<br><br>It was all in good fun....I think you've seen me around long enough to know the hijinks I'm capable of...<br><br>So what's wrong with a little 'made you look' once in a while? Helps me practice my tag-line writing skills...<br><br>I am DEFINITELY staying away from all things political, though.<br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 05:22 PM

i have never known you to start one. <br><br>i rarely start them myself -- i never did prior to the MC forum split. now, i tend to get most involved in political threads when education is part of the discussion. if i feel i can add a new viewpoint to a discussion or see a topic that i feel is being misrepresented, i might enter other political threads, too -- in fact, i often participate as a learning exercise. i have a set of beliefs that i know are not shared by everyone. it is nice to test my beliefs when i can hear an opposing viewpoint and learn the types of evidence being used against my beliefs. knowing the opposition can help me to make my case stronger in the future in other discussions elsewhere...i like to feel i am growing as a person; i like to feel educated on current events and not merely being fed what i should believe from a brief news report on tv. in the end, it's all about participating in threads that you enjoy. there is nothing wrong with the "made you look" or one word response-type threads as long as there are people enjoying them. it's apparent that they are enjoyable. me, i prefer using iChat for that chit-chat-type discussion. the macminute room is pretty cool. <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/12/02 07:46 PM

Agreed- I somewhat resent the "All Americans are naive and unaware of your own foreign policy" attitude I seem to encounter at every turn, but like you I do love the spirit of the debate..<br><br><br>[color:orange]Hey! Wait a 'minute'....</font color=orange>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/13/02 08:08 AM

I'm prepared now - got my trusty tome ready to toss towards those troublesome trespassers.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/13/02 08:54 AM

I love debate too. But, is it really a debate going on over there or agenda-driven people who are inviting kindred spirits to join in? Don't get me wrong, there are many really good folks over there and some post here too. But, my politics, my religion and my race are all areas that I must be very careful who I share with. Heck, I even avoided politics with my dad. <br><br>I bet you can name each "serious" poster and be able to tell what and who they have issues with. In other words, debates usually begin with an objective topic and both sides discuss the topic without rancor. I don't like being reminded that I am a member of a minority when I already am one as a mac person. I see a tone over there that makes me feel very uncomfortable and I am certain that I am not the only one. It really has nothing to do with debate, but to me is the droning on and on about the same things. Some are so obsessed that they even have their signature in the mix.<br>I say to them fine, go ahead and vent if it makes you feel better, but don't call it a debate or discussion. When it is venomous and bigoted, I will opt out.<br>Here, the lounge has a personality that is light, fun and loaded with people of good cheer.<br>Sorry, I am being very selfish because I need to lighten up on a regular basis. Those of you with stressful jobs and lives know exactly what I mean. I want to be judged as a human being and there is just not enough room for me to give a full and heartfelt statement of who I am. Just believe me when I say that this place makes me feel welcome.<br>What do they say about friendshiip? " feeling safe without words spoken or deeds done"<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Here we go again in MCF... - 10/13/02 09:03 AM

I too have an extremely stressful job. I need to get away from all the stress to maintain my sanity, what's left of it. This place makes me feel welcome and I feel free to express myself in a way I cannot elsewhere. It's not that I don't visit other forums but this one is the only one which I do most of my posting now. I'm nothing but a lurker elsewhere.<br><br><br><br>