MARG... How did the Jaguar install go?

Posted by: MacGizmo

MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 06:03 PM

Sounds like you had problems?<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 06:48 PM

Big problems with my internet connection. I ended up reinstalling. Of course it didn't help that my service provider barely spoke English and argued that my problem was that my modem wasn't connected properly. BS!!! <br>I'm connected now but I am getting a stupid message "Do I want to stay connected?" Yes darnit I do. How do I shut this thing up? I have DSL.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 06:51 PM

Sorry you had the problems. Are you connected directly to the DSL modem or are you on via a router?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 06:52 PM

directly to the modem<br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 06:56 PM

Is it a PPPoE connection? if so, are you using your ISP's software or the network control pane?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 06:59 PM

PPPoE connection. Network control pane.<br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 07:09 PM

I can't figure it out, Marg. I was hoping you'd say it was the ISP's software that you were using. What you're describing sounds more like the behavior of Remote Access back in pre-X days, where you could choose to have Remote Access ask you every so often whether you wanted to maintain the connection. But there's nothing like that in the PPPoE tab of the Network Pane. I also checked Internet Connect, just in case that was somehow being invoked, but that also doesn't have an option like the old Remote Access used to have.<br><br>Let me play around a little more and see what I can find.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 07:13 PM

I seem to recall seeing an app on versiontracker that would keep a DSL connection active (get rid of the message) automatically. It was either versiontracker or macosxhints.com.<br><br>I'll look around tonight to see if I can find it.<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 07:14 PM

I agree. That is exactly how it is acting like the Remote Acess thing.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 07:18 PM

Thanks a lot. It's these little things that drive you nuts.<br><br>BTW, you were right. Painter launches WAY faster now but other things seem just a little more zippy.<br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 07:21 PM

now... get yourself set up with iChat and log on! You can use your .Mac name or set up a new name with AIM.<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/10/02 07:48 PM

I'm a total UNIX idiot, Marg, but there may be a way for you to tell what app or process is giving you that bothersome message. Process viewer might do it, or maybe Terminal? I've been looking around at MacFixIt and at the Apple discussion page, and found nothing like what you're experiencing.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/11/02 10:27 AM

Think I should go get a lottery ticket. Today is my day. ALL my problems are fixed AND I got my email addresses back. phew... They were in users>library>application support>addresses. I just dragged the whole folder to Addresses and voila.. back in business.<br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/11/02 10:37 AM

Fantastic! Let's go to Vegas while you still have the hot-hand!!! <br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/11/02 12:01 PM

The way this day is going I could almost take you up on the idea of going to Vegas and I don't gamble. <br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/11/02 01:04 PM

Sightseeing & Shopping then... <br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/11/02 01:25 PM

Did you set up iChat?<br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/11/02 03:22 PM

Heck I'm having such a good day I think I could hit the jackpot at the slots. <br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:21 PM

So, it's been a day or two... how is Jaguar treating you now?<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:29 PM

I absolutely love it! The speed increase is great. I'm not a power user so I wouldn't know too much about any new features but I like the feel of things. iCal is a good thing to have. It's going to be very handy. I doubt I'll use iChat much. I only like chatting 1 on 1 with someone and there are only a couple of folks I'll use it with probably.<br><br>I'm happy all the minor problems got fixed and I lost nothing at all. I managed to dig and find everything.<br><br>All in all it was a good move. Thanks for talking me into it. <br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:34 PM

Try iSync while you're at it. If you have a computer at home and one at the office, iSync's just the cat's PJs.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:35 PM

Just 1 computer. I don't use a computer at work.<br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:37 PM

Boo hoo! There are some days at work that I survive only because I can come on here and get a few chuckles, even if I don't have the time to post anything. I feel for you, Marg! <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:39 PM

there are lots of new things in Jaguar... I wish I could remember some of the better things to tell you that I think you might be interested in.<br><br>Mail, address book are pretty cool, but also try using your iDisk in the finder now... it's much faster in Jaguar than it was in 10.1. Makes a huge difference.<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:40 PM

I barely have time to breath at work. I wouldn't have time if I did have a computer. I do use the library DULL to login at morning break and lunch for a very, very quick peek.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:42 PM

Really? I have been reading with interest but have been hesitant to try it. How will it affect all the old software I have to run in classic. Yet I'm seeing a lot of apps already for 10.2 only. (iChat)<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:46 PM

I love Jaguar. It's faster, just as stable than 10.1.x (although it's hard to quantify that since I've never had any problems at all since 10.1 came out), with some nifty features. Just getting the American Heritage dictionary at the click of a Sherlock button is cool--sorry, I get excited by dictionaries, and the fact that Apple links us to the American Heritage while MS links their poor users to the Encarta dictionary (a real hunk of poo as far as the lexicographical universe is concerned), makes my little heart go pitta pat.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:47 PM

The new Mail is very nice as is the Address book. The Junkmail feature is great.<br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:48 PM

What apps do you use that are Classic only (besides that truly abissmal P.O.S. app Quack... I mean Quark)?<br><br><br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:54 PM

I like the translater within Sherlock. That's going to be very handy as I go to a few Spanish sites.<br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 09:58 PM

Just don't use it to "chat or talk" with Spanish-speaking people... it isn't 100 (or even 80%) accurate.<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 10:02 PM

Strictly for reading purposes. Could be interesting otherwise. <br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 10:03 PM

No Quark at home. Photoshop 5.0, Illustrator 7, Painter 5, Golive 4.1 really are the main ones. I think there is an upgrade for Transit/Transmit & TexEdit but have not got around to installing them. Some old games like Bugdom. Are they not at all useable with Jaguar? We are getting hardware upgrades at work next year and the supervisor and I are the only 2 that have touched OSX. I am going to have to help the others some. Wouldn't hurt to know Jaguar.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 10:28 PM

If you aren't upgrading all those apps to the latest version, then running OSX at all is really kind of a waste. I mean it's one thing to run one main app, and maybe a secondary app in Classic, but to run all those in Classic mode??? If I were you I wouldn't run OSX at all without upgrading...<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 10:44 PM

Can't afford it after buying Mom's computer. But I usually run my web browsers in OSX and Graphic Converter, QuickTime, Jewel Toy, Proteus for chat(if I could figure it out) TextEdit. I am in OSX 70% of the time. I don't think I could stand to go back to 9 now. Christmas is right around the corner though.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/13/02 11:09 PM

Hehe Giz, good timing. Hubby just came back from riding his 4 wheeler for a day trip to where he camps. He was telling me how he needed more camping stuff after getting a bunch lately including birthday presents. I just looked up and said I need better software. He said "I know!" and smiled. What a guy.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 07:06 AM

Photoshop, Illustrator & GoLive are all part of a Bundle that is available you know... hmmmm....<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: lesh

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 07:11 AM

I just ordered the Illustrator 10 upgrade - wheeeee - going from v.8 to 10! <br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 07:16 AM

Demented minds think alike. I just talked my husband into the designer pack. He was really good about it. I told him I would like it for Christmas and he's trying to convince me to get it sooner. Thanks for the suggestion.<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"<br>-Douglas Adams

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 07:44 AM

Are you in ANY WAY involved with Education (or do you have a kid in school?). If so, you can the Design Bundle (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign & Acrobat) Plus GoLive and LiveMotion for less than $500 from the Apple Education store. Smokin deal!!!<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 07:47 AM

Make sure you install the updates!<br><br>VersionTracker<br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 07:49 AM

Sucks to buy brand new software only to find out that there are 2 or 3 updates already available for each app!!!<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>
Posted by: lesh

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 07:49 AM

Thanks Alec - no chance I'll forget this time!<br><br>Gee - wonder what I have to work on tomorrow?<br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 12:23 PM

I am glad to see more people really into OSX and 10.2. There is one website ( http://www.techsurvivors.net) that several of the people there are on OS8 and 9 and are absolutely scared to jump to OSX. Oh well, one day they will have to if they want to stay current.<br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 12:27 PM

I readily admit I was scared silly myself. I got stinking drunk before I finally got the nerve to do it. <br>Good thing it was a good install since I could barely see the keyboard. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 12:38 PM

Well, I was forced into it. My iMac came with Jag installed, so i had no choice but to learn to use it.<br>Now, I don't know what i was so scared about.<br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 12:46 PM

See! I think that some people have this unknown fear of change ...but it's really a nice change. Stay in OSX for a while, say a month or two, then boot into OS9. Tell me you don't move your mouse to where the dock is! LOL<br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 12:47 PM

it only took me a few days before I missed the "Column View" in the finder... that was back in the Public Beta when I was still using 9 most of the time.<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 07:10 PM

I've been over to techsurvivors a couple of times. They do seem to me a little fearful of real change, I must say. Oh well, different strokes.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/14/02 07:58 PM

I checked out that website... "Tech Survivors" isn't what I would call these people.... the least knowledgeable group I've seen in a long time! Techies afraid of an OS upgrade... LOL!!!<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/15/02 03:38 PM

I have been playing with Inkwell since I got home from work. It's a cool app if I could get it to work properly. I gather you have to "train" it?<br><br><br><br>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/15/02 03:50 PM

I dunno.... I don't have a tablet anymore, so I can't test it.<br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/15/02 05:30 PM

It doesn't even show up unless you have a tablet.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/15/02 05:32 PM

I know... that's why I can't test it!!! <br><br><br>[color:red]What? I don't understand. What?</font color=red>

Re: MARG... How did the Jaguar install go? - 10/15/02 05:34 PM

I wouldn't mind having a tablet to check it out ....<br><br>